The Student Room Group

Struggling With PCOS.

I was diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) when I was around 15 years old. My doctor at the time prescribed me birth control, which I was on up until maybe last year?

Anyway, I've been trying to go about curing my symproms naturally (it's been a process), changing my diet, exercising, losing weight, ect...but STILL struggling with this condition.

Is anybody else dealing with this? And if so, what is your experience with it?

Scroll to see replies

I found out two years ago that I had polycystic ovaries. I was first prescribed birth control when I was 12 because my periods weren’t regular either. I’m actually really skinny so in terms of weight loss I’ve instead been trying to adjust my diet to gain more weight. Ive been writing down what I eat/ how much exercise I do every day to keep track of how to adjust it
Reply 2
Now do you ACTUALLY have cysts present on your ovaries? Because I got an ultrasound through my gyno and everything apparently looked normal...

And I'm the opposite of you then! I've struggled with my weight and activity levels throughout the year. What symptoms do you experience? Right now mine are hair-thinning/loss, hirsutism, and trouble losing weight.

And weirdly enough, my periods were irregular when I was younger too, but have been consistent/on time ever since I got off of the pill.. But still have the symptoms. I used to track what I ate and count calories when I was nearing 300lbs (was 277lbs at my highest). I'm currently 183. Trying to be proactive about this now by seeing doctors & getting testing and bloodwork done. This syndrome is a life ruiner.
Reply 3
I got diagnosed a few months ago and my gp wouldn’t put me on birth control and instead put me on metformin. I do struggle with my weight and lose hair a lot. I had an ultrasound done and my ovaries looked healthy and clear of any cysts yet I still have it. They say to eat a clean diet and cut out any processed foods, carbs, alcohol etc which could help reduce symptoms or even cure it. I haven’t yet tried that as I would like to be out on birth control to see if that will bring my periods back.
My doctor advised it wouldn't be advantageous to go on birth control in terms of managing PCOS. Rather, it was stressed to me that I ought to try and manage the balance naturally rather than have something artificial try and interfere with whats already unbalanced if that makes sense?

For a long time (4 years) I kept gaining and gaining weight no matter how much I exercised or how healthy my diet was.

I went on metformin for two months and the weight dropped off me and it's since stayed off despite no longer taking the medication.

It's only 13 months after stopping metformin too that I feel as though I should consider going back on. hirsutism, testosterone levels higher (I'm not an angry person so when I get angry I know it's this). I find all this has linked very closely to my intake of artificial sugars again though so I'm going to try and cut those out first before going back on medication. My acne has also been absolutely awful.

My gynaecologist said my ovaries look 'great' and not 'grape like' which is advantageous.

Does anyone else feel like they're on a clock to have a possibility of having children though? I don't want any right now but I don't know where the line is where I won't be able to anymore due to cyst build up and that terrifies me.
Reply 5
Original post by Kizzab7
I got diagnosed a few months ago and my gp wouldn’t put me on birth control and instead put me on metformin. I do struggle with my weight and lose hair a lot. I had an ultrasound done and my ovaries looked healthy and clear of any cysts yet I still have it. They say to eat a clean diet and cut out any processed foods, carbs, alcohol etc which could help reduce symptoms or even cure it. I haven’t yet tried that as I would like to be out on birth control to see if that will bring my periods back.

Damn... In my experience, hormonal birth control does not work. Number one, it caused me to gain weight and made losing it worlds more difficult. Number two, it simply masked the symptoms. So while I was on the pill, things seemed "okay" when in reality the condition was worsening because I wasn't feeling the need to be as proactive.

I've never been on metformin of any other PCOS drug (aside from the hormonal BC) so I can't say personally whether it helps. I know these medications only mask symptoms. They do not solve the core issues that are triggering this syndrome.

Through the years, I've made some progress though. And I've been trying to figure out the various forms of PCOS. For me, I was super lazy and lived a sedentary lifestyle...had a semi-bad diet/eating habits and didn't exercise much on top of all of that.

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you currently weigh? I was super heavy when I decided I needed to drop weight fast. I changed my eating habits and diet, started taking supplements, using hair oil and a host of other things that have actually worked for me...and maybe will work for you too.
Reply 6
Original post by x_716
Damn... In my experience, hormonal birth control does not work. Number one, it caused me to gain weight and made losing it worlds more difficult. Number two, it simply masked the symptoms. So while I was on the pill, things seemed "okay" when in reality the condition was worsening because I wasn't feeling the need to be as proactive.

I've never been on metformin of any other PCOS drug (aside from the hormonal BC) so I can't say personally whether it helps. I know these medications only mask symptoms. They do not solve the core issues that are triggering this syndrome.

Through the years, I've made some progress though. And I've been trying to figure out the various forms of PCOS. For me, I was super lazy and lived a sedentary lifestyle...had a semi-bad diet/eating habits and didn't exercise much on top of all of that.

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you currently weigh? I was super heavy when I decided I needed to drop weight fast. I changed my eating habits and diet, started taking supplements, using hair oil and a host of other things that have actually worked for me...and maybe will work for you too.

Original post by x_716

I weigh around 89/92 kg and am like 5 foot 8. Being diagnosed wasn’t much of a surprise because I would go years inbetween having periods but only recently plucked up the courage to speak to my gp about it.
Reply 7
Original post by Kizzab7
I weigh around 89/92 kg and am like 5 foot 8. Being diagnosed wasn’t much of a surprise because I would go years inbetween having periods but only recently plucked up the courage to speak to my gp about it.

So you're around my weight then... The only difference is I'm 5'3".

& I didn't even know what PCOS was when I was diagnosed. My irregular periods weren't that bad. I would get them, just at random times. But it's good that you're addressing the issue now.

I think for you, birth control would be better than the metformin even if you're on it temporarily because you can develop other disorders/conditions if your uterus does not have the ability to shed it's lining.

Do you have a lot of fat around your stomach? Sorry, I know that's a weird question... But I tend to store a lot of fat around my abdomen and I'm trying to dicpher whether or not that's what is triggering some of these symptoms. I thought after losing close to 100lbs the symptoms would subside, but...here I am.
Reply 8
Original post by x_716
Now do you ACTUALLY have cysts present on your ovaries? Because I got an ultrasound through my gyno and everything apparently looked normal...

And I'm the opposite of you then! I've struggled with my weight and activity levels throughout the year. What symptoms do you experience? Right now mine are hair-thinning/loss, hirsutism, and trouble losing weight.

And weirdly enough, my periods were irregular when I was younger too, but have been consistent/on time ever since I got off of the pill.. But still have the symptoms. I used to track what I ate and count calories when I was nearing 300lbs (was 277lbs at my highest). I'm currently 183. Trying to be proactive about this now by seeing doctors & getting testing and bloodwork done. This syndrome is a life ruiner.

Congrats on losing almost 100lb that's a massive achievement (even if you're not yet where you want to be healthwise).

I've heard that PCOS can cause some level of insulin resistance (hence why metformin helps) so it might be worth looking into that with your doctor/blood work?

Losing more weight should also reduce your stomach fat which should help with hormone levels and any issues with insulin/sugar.
Original post by x_716

I am actually not sure. Everything was apparently normal apart from at the end it said polycystic ovaries present. At the time I didn’t think much of it but then my gp saw me about pcos. It’s weird because I don’t have the usual symptoms of pcos even though my gp said I have it and that was why I didn’t think it was a big deal when I was diagnosed (silly I know)
Reply 10
Thank you 😊 !

Losing the weight was extremely difficult given the PCOS. I knew I had to make drastic changes in order to work toward being healthier overall.

And I've done copious amounts of research on this syndrome. Insulin Resistance is definitely a key contributor to this, as well as metabolic syndromes. I got my full panel done a few months ago actually. My blood work came back normal for my glucose and cholesterol.

My problem seems to be elevated levels of testosterone (serum) and prolactin.

Due to the high levels of prolactin, I had to get an MRI to determine whether or not I had a prolactinoma (prolactin releasing tumor) on my pituitary gland... Everything came back normal with that. Blood work shows I have no thyroid issues or problems with my progesterone production... So I made an endocrine appointment. Perhaps it's my adrenal glands or something else I'm missing. But I'm definitely no longer pre-diabetic which is good.

Original post by Fujoshi
Congrats on losing almost 100lb that's a massive achievement (even if you're not yet where you want to be healthwise).

I've heard that PCOS can cause some level of insulin resistance (hence why metformin helps) so it might be worth looking into that with your doctor/blood work?

Losing more weight should also reduce your stomach fat which should help with hormone levels and any issues with insulin/sugar.
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous
I am actually not sure. Everything was apparently normal apart from at the end it said polycystic ovaries present. At the time I didn’t think much of it but then my gp saw me about pcos. It’s weird because I don’t have the usual symptoms of pcos even though my gp said I have it and that was why I didn’t think it was a big deal when I was diagnosed (silly I know)

Yeah... see, that's what I hate. Doctors aren't 100% sure what all encompasses having PCOS. There are so many variables, variations, and symptoms that it makes a PCOS diagnosis very vague. I'm not even sure I have the condition myself at times. I think there is an underlying condition that is creating these symptoms.

It's frustrating trying to figure out what is wrong with me. I used to think being overweight caused it, but there are skinny people with PCOS too. Not only that, but certain ethnic groups do not experience the same symptoms. For instance, those of Asian/Mongolian descent, will not experience hirsutism because they naturally have less hair follicles in their bodies. Not everyone who has pcos has cysts, or irregular periods. Some people lose their hair, others don't. It's just a lot to take in.
Original post by x_716
Yeah... see, that's what I hate. Doctors aren't 100% sure what all encompasses having PCOS. There are so many variables, variations, and symptoms that it makes a PCOS diagnosis very vague. I'm not even sure I have the condition myself at times. I think there is an underlying condition that is creating these symptoms.

It's frustrating trying to figure out what is wrong with me. I used to think being overweight caused it, but there are skinny people with PCOS too. Not only that, but certain ethnic groups do not experience the same symptoms. For instance, those of Asian/Mongolian descent, will not experience hirsutism because they naturally have less hair follicles in their bodies. Not everyone who has pcos has cysts, or irregular periods. Some people lose their hair, others don't. It's just a lot to take in.

I agree. It is very vague and there’s not many people I know who suffer from pcos so I don’t really know what to do/ what I should expect
The thing that affected me the most with PCOS is most definitely hair loss. Whilst the rest of me is a monkey, my receding hair line stresses me out everyday. This then made my skin break out ridiculously. In terms of pain mine comes very spontaneously and in no pattern, usually I can handle it but sometimes it does prevent me working which then makes me more stressed and goes back to breakouts. Ive had bad experiences with birth control in the past so I am never going back on it. Surprisingly though I find that my weight has been easy to balance, it only fluctuates between 49-53kg and with a good diet I find it easy to bounce back. I know it really depresses people about the possibility for not having kids, but as someone who never wants to be pregnant this is a plus for me, but i apologise to those who that does affect.
The thing is with pcos I’ve heard of people who have also managed to have children. Does anyone know a reason why some people do and some don’t? Is it that they were on hormonal medication?
Reply 15
I agree. It is very vague and there’s not many people I know who suffer from pcos so I don’t really know what to do/ what I should expect

VERY vague. There's actually a large number of women suffering from "PCOS." I don't personally know many either, but I've done a lot of research. I feel like there are little to no support groups for this condition, where they focus on finding solutions that 'cure' symptoms instead of just masking them with medication. It has to be deeper than just hormonal imbalance because of all the criterion.
Reply 16
The thing that affected me the most with PCOS is most definitely hair loss. Whilst the rest of me is a monkey, my receding hair line stresses me out everyday. This then made my skin break out ridiculously. In terms of pain mine comes very spontaneously and in no pattern, usually I can handle it but sometimes it does prevent me working which then makes me more stressed and goes back to breakouts. Ive had bad experiences with birth control in the past so I am never going back on it. Surprisingly though I find that my weight has been easy to balance, it only fluctuates between 49-53kg and with a good diet I find it easy to bounce back. I know it really depresses people about the possibility for not having kids, but as someone who never wants to be pregnant this is a plus for me, but i apologise to those who that does affect.

SAME... The hair-loss is what prompted me to inquire about any potential homonal issues when I was 15. It started in my sophomore year of high school. I've been losing hair ever since and I feel like I'm practically bald. I used to have super thick hair. Now it's just super weak and there are a lot of spots where hair is missing.

And the hirsutism for me just recently started getting bad. I'm trying to do everything I can to reverse it (which it is reversible) just difficult. It can take months for progress to show. I've done it before.

I'm starting to think pcos is stress related too. My symptoms have always gotten worse whenever I began to stress. & once you have a stable weight, I've found it is pretty easy to stay under. I basically cut diary and refined carbs out of my diet, as well as processed foods.

And infertility doesn't affect all with PCOS, but it's one of the more severe symptoms of the condition. I'm not sure if I can get pregnant or not, but yeah I guess there is a silver lining for you specifically lol
Reply 17
The thing is with pcos I’ve heard of people who have also managed to have children. Does anyone know a reason why some people do and some don’t? Is it that they were on hormonal medication?

From what I've researched, most women with PCOS are able to have children. There are different cases. Some women cannot get pregnant because they are not getting their period. If they are not menstruating regularly, that means that there will be no ovulation. Ovulation is what makes pregnancy possible as it releases eggs that will be able to be fertilized during intercourse.

In the case where a woman does not have any periods, she can be put on medication that helps her to ovulate. Many women with PCOS get pregnant with this method.

Some women have very severe symptoms which lead to worsened health complications. Like if you don't ovulate and get some form of uterine cancer. In that case, they'd be infertile permanently.

Some women do have periods, but they are just all over the place. So they can get pregnant when they ovulate, essentially.

I think it really all depends, since there are so many factors involved.
Original post by x_716
I was diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) when I was around 15 years old. My doctor at the time prescribed me birth control, which I was on up until maybe last year?

Anyway, I've been trying to go about curing my symproms naturally (it's been a process), changing my diet, exercising, losing weight, ect...but STILL struggling with this condition.

Is anybody else dealing with this? And if so, what is your experience with it?

i have PCOS since puberty too, maybe even right bfore tht. I have been put on cocypriodol, which is used as BC too i suppose ( if i ask fr it ), but it hasnt really made any changes, once i get off em the symptoms come back. What kind of symptoms do u have ?? I have also tried some indian medicine but it tasted really off nd didnt do much either.
Reply 19
i have PCOS since puberty too, maybe even right bfore tht. I have been put on cocypriodol, which is used as BC too i suppose ( if i ask fr it ), but it hasnt really made any changes, once i get off em the symptoms come back. What kind of symptoms do u have ?? I have also tried some indian medicine but it tasted really off nd didnt do much either.

I honestly wouldn't recommend the route of western medicine. It's not meant to reverse PCOS, but rather treat it. You have to figure out what's causing your symptoms.

For me, I lived a mostly sedentary lifestyle as a child, which fueled my weight gain and eventually caused me to have irregular periods and start losing my hair. Over time, I started growing darker hairs in places women normally don't have.

I changed my diet, exercise regularly and supplement with vitamins.

What symptoms are you dealing with? I can give you some ideas/advice that could work for you if you have similar symptoms.

Quick Reply

Latest