The Student Room Group

if you are ona slip road and want to join onto the motorway but there is a car near

you and you can see them through your right door mirror, what should you do ? (AND you are about in the middle of the slip road- nearly going to end)

should you you match up to their speed (50 mph) and wait for them to pass ?
Reply 1
Original post by curious312
you and you can see them through your right door mirror, what should you do ? (AND you are about in the middle of the slip road- nearly going to end)

should you you match up to their speed (50 mph) and wait for them to pass ?

Either get infront or slip in behind, whatever you choose, make a damn decision and don't be that idiot joining a motorway at 50mph.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by IWMTom
Either get infront of slip in behind, whatever you choose, make a damn decision and don't be that idiot joining a motorway at 50mph.

how is that being an idiot?
what you want me to join the motorway at 70mph?

Yes?
Reply 4
Original post by IWMTom
Either get infront of slip in behind, whatever you choose, make a damn decision and don't be that idiot joining a motorway at 50mph.

The Highway Code says 'match your speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane.' If traffic in the nearside lane is doing 50, you do 50.
Reply 5
how is that being an idiot?

You should be joining at the speed of the road which in normal circumstances should be 70mph.
Reply 6
Original post by Surnia
The Highway Code says 'match your speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane.' If traffic in the nearside lane is doing 50, you do 50.

Who said the traffic was doing 50mph?
Reply 7
Original post by IWMTom
You should be joining at the speed of the road which in normal circumstances should be 70mph.

if the slip road is short and there are a lot of cars im definitely not going to be going at 70mph. Maybe you should and get into an accident if thats what you want lol
Reply 8
if the slip road is short and there are a lot of cars im definitely not going to be going at 70mph. Maybe you should and get into an accident if thats what you want lol

If you aren't accelerating briskly to the speed of the road, you are a danger. This is driving 101, and you should have been taught this.

The same rules apply to dual carriageways - accelerate briskly to match the speed of traffic to join from the slip road. If you don't, you cause traffic on the road to slow down and impede those trying to join behind you.

Scariest things I've experienced driving was an idiot in front of me on the slip joining mway at <40. You should be matching the speed traffic is moving at... in clear traffic that could be 70, heavy traffic or lots of HGVs the inside lane will be at 55-60. Then alter your speed to drop in front or behind. If it's a lorry you're generally better getting in front as they're slow and you'll accelerate past easily. If not just look at the space you have (ie can you get past in what remains of the slip) and what's behind (if there's someone directly behind avoid braking if poss as they'll be looking to the carriageway). It's not as hard as it sounds. I found it helps to drive along the mway a bit and stick in the left and just watch how cars merge at each junction.
Reply 10
Original post by IWMTom
Who said the traffic was doing 50mph?

The OP.
Reply 11
Original post by Surnia
The OP.

They said the speed of one car was 50mph, not the speed of the traffic.
You don't look at your speed when joining a motorway.

You look at the traffic on the motorway as you are driving on the slip road and you look for a gap and you adjust your speed to slot yourself into that gap with the minimum of fuss.

If there is no safe gap, which happens from time to time, because all the idiots in the inside lane are tailgating or it looks like a car in the middle lane might move into the one and only gap, then you drive on the hard shoulder, keeping your indicator on and looking for a safe gap.

Sometimes you have to boot the throttle to move smartly into the biggest gap. Sometimes it's a gentle squeeze. Sometimes you ease off the throttle. Most times you make no or minimal adjustment to the throttle.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending