The Student Room Group

Business Management UNIVERSITY

What would you choose between for Bachelors in Management?

Durham vs King's College London vs Exeter?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by AstarforEPQ
What would you choose between for Bachelors in Management?

Durham vs King's College London vs Exeter?

Bump!
Reply 2
I've been looking at the same things for management/international business! I've considered Bristol, Bath, Durham, Warwick, Exeter and Kings. I've dwindled it down as Exeter had an amazing campus but it seemed rather dead outside of there and it was 4/5 hours from home and the journey felt like forever. With that, I went to Bristol later that day and much preferred the city. The uni didn't wow me however, until a week later i went to Bath. It exceeded my expectations by a mile and gave me the feeling I was looking for in the others but didn't feel - maybe look at that? Durham I was going to go to yesterday, but my friends that had been said not to bother. Not only is it quite far also, but they said unis down South are cooler and would suit me more. I think it depends on the type of person you are. They also told me the business bit was quite far away from everything else - this may not be true though. I loved the idea of their collegiate system and the prestige attached but after seeing Bath I felt I was already quite set. Kings I haven't visited, although have thought about. Again, cost of living and just existing down there is so high and it would be a completely different experience to anywhere else. I've heard people say it doesn't give you a "proper uni experience" being in London but I can't say anything for/against that because I don't know myself. You can look at league tables as much as you want but actually going there and seeing what's on the table can throw you a lot. Sorry for not being able to give you a straight answer but hope it helped somewhat ((:
Original post by laurrenn
I've been looking at the same things for management/international business! I've considered Bristol, Bath, Durham, Warwick, Exeter and Kings. I've dwindled it down as Exeter had an amazing campus but it seemed rather dead outside of there and it was 4/5 hours from home and the journey felt like forever. With that, I went to Bristol later that day and much preferred the city. The uni didn't wow me however, until a week later i went to Bath. It exceeded my expectations by a mile and gave me the feeling I was looking for in the others but didn't feel - maybe look at that? Durham I was going to go to yesterday, but my friends that had been said not to bother. Not only is it quite far also, but they said unis down South are cooler and would suit me more. I think it depends on the type of person you are. They also told me the business bit was quite far away from everything else - this may not be true though. I loved the idea of their collegiate system and the prestige attached but after seeing Bath I felt I was already quite set. Kings I haven't visited, although have thought about. Again, cost of living and just existing down there is so high and it would be a completely different experience to anywhere else. I've heard people say it doesn't give you a "proper uni experience" being in London but I can't say anything for/against that because I don't know myself. You can look at league tables as much as you want but actually going there and seeing what's on the table can throw you a lot. Sorry for not being able to give you a straight answer but hope it helped somewhat ((:

I'm planning to apply to St Andrews, Bath, Warwick and LSE but I am struggling to choose my last one. I know that Exeter is highest on the league table with lower entry grades but King's has very high reputation. What worries me is that King's has a fairly high entry grade requirements (A*AA). I'd love to visit the Unis but I live abroad so I won't get the chance anytime soon :frown:
Reply 4
I'm planning to apply to St Andrews, Bath, Warwick and LSE but I am struggling to choose my last one. I know that Exeter is highest on the league table with lower entry grades but King's has very high reputation. What worries me is that King's has a fairly high entry grade requirements (A*AA). I'd love to visit the Unis but I live abroad so I won't get the chance anytime soon :frown:

Out of those 4 you're sure on then, what's your top 2? I haven't bothered with St Andrews lol because it's Scotland it's too far and I don't think I'd like it. Seems a bit boring but is highly rated ofc. Do you get grade predictions? I asked a teacher at school the other day about how seriously they're taken (she used to work at kcl) and told her i was predicted AAA and how they want A*AA. She basically said unless I can get one of my grades upped then there's no point as it's so competitive. So with that, I guess it's a case of, "are you willing to use your last choice on somewhere that might not want you". Not only that, but do you not have an insurance uni? Like in case you don't get the grades.. It's a tough thing to think about lol but there's nothing wrong w planning for the worst. I have heard cases of Exeter being used as an insurance but the grades aren't exactly low to get in. Is the thing pushing you for Kings, the reputation? What's making it hard for you to choose between the 3? You might find that you prefer your 4 you've decided already, and maybe it won't matter so much in the end - how do you think you'll make a decision if they all give you an offer?
Out of those 4 you're sure on then, what's your top 2? I haven't bothered with St Andrews lol because it's Scotland it's too far and I don't think I'd like it. Seems a bit boring but is highly rated ofc. Do you get grade predictions? I asked a teacher at school the other day about how seriously they're taken (she used to work at kcl) and told her i was predicted AAA and how they want A*AA. She basically said unless I can get one of my grades upped then there's no point as it's so competitive. So with that, I guess it's a case of, "are you willing to use your last choice on somewhere that might not want you". Not only that, but do you not have an insurance uni? Like in case you don't get the grades.. It's a tough thing to think about lol but there's nothing wrong w planning for the worst. I have heard cases of Exeter being used as an insurance but the grades aren't exactly low to get in. Is the thing pushing you for Kings, the reputation? What's making it hard for you to choose between the 3? You might find that you prefer your 4 you've decided already, and maybe it won't matter so much in the end - how do you think you'll make a decision if they all give you an offer?

My predicted in A*AA at the moment.
Yes I do agree that I need an insurance uni just in case and that is what is making me struggle right now. Apparently Exeter and Durham has lower grades compared to the other choices I have and plus they are great universities. I don't know how I should approach this. Kings is very competitive and they have high grade offers therefore it will be quite hard to get in but I love the city life and the Kings atmosphere.

Do you have any other uni recommendations that are safer to get in but also decent?

don't rule out St Andrew completely until you've visited :smile: i only travelled up from London 3 times a year, it was a bit of adventure and just under 1/4 of the students are from the US, who made me feel silly for saying how far i'd come.

out of your choices, i think Bristol would suit you best as London isn't a proper student city, Warwick is in the middle of nowhere and Bath & Durham have a similar vibe to St As which you don't sound too keen on
Reply 7
Original post by A Rolling Stone
don't rule out St Andrew completely until you've visited :smile: i only travelled up from London 3 times a year, it was a bit of adventure and just under 1/4 of the students are from the US, who made me feel silly for saying how far i'd come.

out of your choices, i think Bristol would suit you best as London isn't a proper student city, Warwick is in the middle of nowhere and Bath & Durham have a similar vibe to St As which you don't sound too keen on

You're my favourite person alive rn. What are you studying? I do like Bristol yeah but it feels less campus-y than the rest and I feel like everryoooonneee seems to apply there. I looked in terms of league tables for management and it doesn't seem to be anything special either so I wonder whether or not to bother, especially when Bath has a good course, campus and is 12 mins on a train to bristol so I can have the best of both worlds. I never imagined st a's to be like Bath though and if it is then maybe it would be more to my liking. it seems to be such a hard decision to make when everything is so similar ): you're a legend. Where else did you apply/what did you like?
To be honest with you, I would have a look at Manchester and Leeds (and maybe Cardiff if your grades aren't looking to be great) These provide the "proper" uni experience that others have mentioned, whilst also keeping living expenses low and grades (for International Business management anyways) at AAA (Leeds) or AAB (Manchester). Still very well respected unis with good professors and plenty of opportunities and partner unis to travel abroad.

Perhaps they aren't as far away as St Andrews (or as drab in my opinion) and are city based and campus based.
(edited 4 years ago)
You're my favourite person alive rn. What are you studying? I do like Bristol yeah but it feels less campus-y than the rest and I feel like everryoooonneee seems to apply there. I looked in terms of league tables for management and it doesn't seem to be anything special either so I wonder whether or not to bother, especially when Bath has a good course, campus and is 12 mins on a train to bristol so I can have the best of both worlds. I never imagined st a's to be like Bath though and if it is then maybe it would be more to my liking. it seems to be such a hard decision to make when everything is so similar ): you're a legend. Where else did you apply/what did you like?

i will do my absolute best to be objective. if i sound biased it's a) because i chose St Andrews so obviously i preferred it for several reasons and b) it's always like #1 for student satisfaction and was today in fact voted uni of the year by the Times so it must be doing something right! it's definitely not for everyone though and so you shouldn't take what i say as gospel until you visit yourself! The long and the short is that all of your options have pros and cons, as you will discover is the case for most things in life! I have pulled this from other posts just so you know i didn't write this all now :smile:

I applied to St Andrews, Durham, Bath and Warwick. I was going to put Bristol as my 5th, but instead went for a safety option.

Firstly to get Warwick out the way. It has an absolutely stellar reputation which is definitely a good reason to apply. academically there can be no complaints. the only problem is that it's literally in a field in a suburb on the outskirts of Coventry. Don't necessarily let that put you off as Warwick (along with Loughborough) is generally regarded as having the best campus in the UK.

As for Bath, i fell in love with it as it's such a lovely, quaint city! the campus was cosy too (extra points for ducks). the problem for me was that the campus is not really in Bath but in fact on a mountain next to Bath. they say it's only a hill but i recall the 10 min bus journey back being an almost vertical ride lol which would be annoying if you just wanted to pop into town for something small.

On the other hand in St Andrews, my lectures were a 5-15 min walk from my hall. Whereas Bristol uni is integrated the city (so there's less community feel), St Andrews is integrated into one town... so the town is basically the campus and everyone who visits says it's much bigger than they expected and its also pretty crowded at times. There are like hundreds of shops and eateries and a good mix of chains and independents, so even though it's much smaller than Bath it doesn't really feel it. the most common problem is one of feeling a bit claustrophobic in 'the bubble', so regular trips to Edinburgh 1 hr away on the train (Dundee half that for essentials) is advised. But of course Bath being only 15 mins away to Bristol is everything you could need!

Durham is probably the most similar uni to St Andrews in many ways. both unis are well known for being middle class and we like to poke fun of the posh associations, Will & Kate, Oxbridge rejects, Barbour jackets etc. Now i'm not bothered about this whole diversity thing people go on and on about, so when i say diversity is a problem in Durham vs St Andrews then it really is. At Durham you will just be spending 3 years making friends with other people from England, whereas at St Andrews most of your friends will be either Americans (from as far as Houston, Seattle and California), 'third culture kids' i.e. Brits/Europeans who went to international schools in Singapore, Beijing or Rio de Janeiro etc., and then lots of EU/international students as well. The Americans come almost exclusively for International Relations but also for St Andrews' close proximity to the continent (really) so you almost have to go with them to Barcelona and Venice and places during half term!

Although St Andrews has loads of student bars it doesn't have any proper nightclubs bar the Union. When i asked my mate about this he said "at St Andrews we make our own fun". To me that sounded a little bit BS, but when i arrived i realised the emphasis for drinking comes from societies and peoples' really active involvement in them (Bath and Durham are much better for sports). As well as societies having weekly socials, there are regular bigger events like balls/charity/fashion shows etc. all the time, more than any other uni. then you have all the crazy traditions of gaudie/pier walks, may dip, academic families and raisin weekend (use google).

But it's obviously not for everyone: you study 3 subjects in each semester of first year (eg. i did biology, economics, psych) and up to 3 subjects in your second year, with only your last two years counting towards you degree. And many people do not want to pay for the extra year of tuition fees, so there is def plenty of downsides. I personally found the 4th year invaluable in giving me time to think about a career and do summer internships, but i was certainly ready to leave by then.

tl;dr you can't go wrong with any of your choices :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
i will do my absolute best to be objective. if i sound biased it's a) because i chose St Andrews so obviously i preferred it for several reasons and b) it's always like #1 for student satisfaction and was today in fact voted uni of the year by the Times so it must be doing something right! it's definitely not for everyone though and so you shouldn't take what i say as gospel until you visit yourself! The long and the short is that all of your options have pros and cons, as you will discover is the case for most things in life! I have pulled this from other posts just so you know i didn't write this all now :smile:

I applied to St Andrews, Durham, Bath and Warwick. I was going to put Bristol as my 5th, but instead went for a safety option.

Firstly to get Warwick out the way. It has an absolutely stellar reputation which is definitely a good reason to apply. academically there can be no complaints. the only problem is that it's literally in a field in a suburb on the outskirts of Coventry. Don't necessarily let that put you off as Warwick (along with Loughborough) is generally regarded as having the best campus in the UK.

As for Bath, i fell in love with it as it's such a lovely, quaint city! the campus was cosy too (extra points for ducks). the problem for me was that the campus is not really in Bath but in fact on a mountain next to Bath. they say it's only a hill but i recall the 10 min bus journey back being an almost vertical ride lol which would be annoying if you just wanted to pop into town for something small.

On the other hand in St Andrews, my lectures were a 5-15 min walk from my hall. Whereas Bristol uni is integrated the city (so there's less community feel), St Andrews is integrated into one town... so the town is basically the campus and everyone who visits says it's much bigger than they expected and its also pretty crowded at times. There are like hundreds of shops and eateries and a good mix of chains and independents, so even though it's much smaller than Bath it doesn't really feel it. the most common problem is one of feeling a bit claustrophobic in 'the bubble', so regular trips to Edinburgh 1 hr away on the train (Dundee half that for essentials) is advised. But of course Bath being only 15 mins away to Bristol is everything you could need!

Durham is probably the most similar uni to St Andrews in many ways. both unis are well known for being middle class and we like to poke fun of the posh associations, Will & Kate, Oxbridge rejects, Barbour jackets etc. Now i'm not bothered about this whole diversity thing people go on and on about, so when i say diversity is a problem in Durham vs St Andrews then it really is. At Durham you will just be spending 3 years making friends with other people from England, whereas at St Andrews most of your friends will be either Americans (from as far as Houston, Seattle and California), 'third culture kids' i.e. Brits/Europeans who went to international schools in Singapore, Beijing or Rio de Janeiro etc., and then lots of EU/international students as well. The Americans come almost exclusively for International Relations but also for St Andrews' close proximity to the continent (really) so you almost have to go with them to Barcelona and Venice and places during half term!

Although St Andrews has loads of student bars it doesn't have any proper nightclubs bar the Union. When i asked my mate about this he said "at St Andrews we make our own fun". To me that sounded a little bit BS, but when i arrived i realised the emphasis for drinking comes from societies and peoples' really active involvement in them (Bath and Durham are much better for sports). As well as societies having weekly socials, there are regular bigger events like balls/charity/fashion shows etc. all the time, more than any other uni. then you have all the crazy traditions of gaudie/pier walks, may dip, academic families and raisin weekend (use google).

But it's obviously not for everyone: you study 3 subjects in each semester of first year (eg. i did biology, economics, psych) and up to 3 subjects in your second year, with only your last two years counting towards you degree. And many people do not want to pay for the extra year of tuition fees, so there is def plenty of downsides. I personally found the 4th year invaluable in giving me time to think about a career and do summer internships, but i was certainly ready to leave by then.

tl;dr you can't go wrong with any of your choices :smile:

what safety option did you go for instead of Bristol?
what safety option did you go for instead of Bristol?

York
York

If you had to choose between Durham and Exeter and Bristol for Management, what would you choose? keeping in mind I am an internationsl student :smile:
If you had to choose between Durham and Exeter and Bristol for Management, what would you choose? keeping in mind I am an internationsl student :smile:

although i would definitely choose Durham, it doesn't really make much difference tbh
although i would definitely choose Durham, it doesn't really make much difference tbh

why would you choose durham?
why would you choose durham?

posher, nicer town, lovely cathedral and castle, marginally better reputation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending