The Student Room Group

How did you guys apply for a job in retail?

Did you just go in a shop and hand the manager your CV?

What is your experience of working in retail?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Discrepancy

the majority of big companies have online application processes.
Original post by claireestelle
the majority of big companies have online application processes.

On their website?
On their website?

yes :smile:
I got my job by applying through indeed.com

I don't necessarily hate working in retail but the pay is low and customers are wack. But it's alright if youre a student like me and need a bit of money.
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
I got my job by applying through indeed.com

I don't necessarily hate working in retail but the pay is low and customers are wack. But it's alright if youre a student like me and need a bit of money.

Yeah, like I applied for Tuition and yeah I didnt get in.

I have social anxiety and I feel scared working with customers especially with christmascoming up.
yes :smile:

I don’t have any experience and I think that is a down factor.
I don’t have any experience and I think that is a down factor.

volunteer at a charity shop, i did for while and it got me into a retail job.
volunteer at a charity shop, i did for while and it got me into a retail job.

I get it, but I am on a gap year and really want to start working.

Can I talk about selling items on an online app? Does that count as experience?
(edited 4 years ago)
I get it, but I am on a gap year and really want to start working.

even for retail jobs these day they want experience so you might have to sacrifice some time for free to get you a job, jobs can just be a numbers game though.

For my current and previous job, yes I handed my CV in to store.

Overall it has been good. It's helped my confidence so much and I've developed a huge amount as a person. But there are also not-so-good parts, like the customers for one. It has definitely taught me just how rubbish and appalling people really are.
Yeah, like I applied for Tuition and yeah I didnt get in.

I have social anxiety and I feel scared working with customers especially with christmascoming up.

I agree with Claire. Deffo volunteer at a charity shop. If it wasnt for that, i wouldn't have gotten my job!

As for social anxiety, i understand what you mean. I hate small talk and suck at holding conversations but honestly after a while you'll get used to it. It's really not that bad so dont worry.
even for retail jobs these day they want experience so you might have to sacrifice some time for free to get you a job, jobs can just be a numbers game though.

I mean I know people who don’t have experience and yet got a job.
I agree with Claire. Deffo volunteer at a charity shop. If it wasnt for that, i wouldn't have gotten my job!

As for social anxiety, i understand what you mean. I hate small talk and suck at holding conversations but honestly after a while you'll get used to it. It's really not that bad so dont worry.

How long did you volunteer at a charity shop?
Original post by DrawTheLine
For my current and previous job, yes I handed my CV in to store.

Overall it has been good. It's helped my confidence so much and I've developed a huge amount as a person. But there are also not-so-good parts, like the customers for one. It has definitely taught me just how rubbish and appalling people really are.

Did you have no experience before applying?
I mean I know people who don’t have experience and yet got a job.

just apply to everything and anything and you could volunteer whilst you keep applying, could be numerous reasons why they got a job without experience like their age or other life experiences.
just apply to everything and anything and you could volunteer whilst you keep applying, could be numerous reasons why they got a job without experience like their age or other life experiences.

Yeah true - could grades be a factor?
How long did you volunteer at a charity shop?

Volunteered in July and by early December i had a job. Even only once a week would really make a difference.
I actually kept on volunteering there even when i got my job. And this was all during 1st year of uni too. I know it sounds like i was doing a lot but it was manageable and it has enhanced my CV.
Volunteered in July and by early December i had a job. Even only once a week would really make a difference.
I actually kept on volunteering there even when i got my job. And this was all during 1st year of uni too. I know it sounds like i was doing a lot but it was manageable and it has enhanced my CV.

That sounds great 👍 I’m going to probably hand out my cv to shops. Did you find that working in s charity shop was similar to retail? Was there much difference?
Yeah true - could grades be a factor?

unlikely in retail as they'd want english and maths maybe, it could be your grades are too high so they know you probably won't stay in the job but some businesses would expect a high turnover anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending