The Student Room Group

Law: which A-levels to pick?

Hello,
I'm currently a GCSE student but am interested in studying Law in the future- are there any particular A levels that are a requirement or that would better my chances for Law?

I was currently thinking of: French, English Literature, Maths and History but I am willing to drop one (other than French) if need be.

Thank you for any advice
All of those subjects are strong, traditional facilitating subjects. It's just up to you to select the ones you enjoy most and have the aptitude to do well in
(edited 4 years ago)
Strangely enough, I was told to not pick A-level law if you're thinking about becoming a lawyer!

Those subjects you've mentioned seem like good subjects if you want to study law
As someone who is applying for Law now and does History, French and English Literature (and dropped maths first lesson of year12) I defo recommend it! Just be prepared for all them essays in exam times
Original post by Roses + Dreams
Hello,
I'm currently a GCSE student but am interested in studying Law in the future- are there any particular A levels that are a requirement or that would better my chances for Law?

I was currently thinking of: French, English Literature, Maths and History but I am willing to drop one (other than French) if need be.

Thank you for any advice

im in yr12 and i don't really know much about law because I'm not thinking of pursuing law as a career but I've heard some of my teachers say that there are no particular a levels that law schools look for
Original post by samanthawongx
im in yr12 and i don't really know much about law because I'm not thinking of pursuing law as a career but I've heard some of my teachers say that there are no particular a levels that law schools look for

Oh no I wasn’t saying that there was set subjects dw lmao. I was just excited that I knew partially all subjects and would recommend them personally as they’ve helped me
Original post by Assembly
All of those subjects are strong, traditional facilitating subjects. It's just up to you to select the ones you enjoy most and have the aptitude to do well in

Thank you! :borat: I love all subjects at the moment and they seem to be my strongest, so I think I will go with them (when the time comes).

Original post by Rockman501
Strangely enough, I was told to not pick A-level law if you're thinking about becoming a lawyer!

Those subjects you've mentioned seem like good subjects if you want to study law

I was told the exact same thing. :albertein:
Thank you, I do really enjoy them.

Original post by chlxejacksxn
As someone who is applying for Law now and does History, French and English Literature (and dropped maths first lesson of year12) I defo recommend it! Just be prepared for all them essays in exam times

Oooo goodness we sound so similar. :rofl: Good luck for law and I know, my hand will probably be dead for a few months. :yep:
Out of curiosity, why did you drop Maths?
Original post by Rockman501

@Roses + Dreams

This a completely false myth that has been perpetuated by incredibly misinformed students and teachers. Extremely prestigious universities like Oxford and Cambridge have gone on record to say that A level Law is a completely acceptable subject to study.

Regarding what subjects do pick, generally it's recommended that applicants have 1 or 2 essay subjects as part of their A levels in order to demonstrate that they would cope with essay writing at university. Other than that, there are no subject requirements and doing certain subjects won't increase your chances.

Therefore, you're generally free to choose whatever you like. I'd highly recommend doing subjects that you enjoy the most / will get the best grades at.

Remember: you won't get any extra points for doing 3 traditional subjects. They literally don't care as long as your subjects are reasonably academic enough.

As an aside, I might recommend A level Religious Studies. I always recommend it to students on TSR on like every single thread. :lol: It's an incredibly interesting and easy subject. Really, really is common sense and a very good way to bump up your grades and get into an excellent university. Very respectable subject as well. :rambo: It's also very relevant to Law as topics of RS include ethics (abortion / death penalty etc). Honestly, can't recommend it enough.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Assembly
All of those subjects are strong, traditional facilitating subjects.

The RG Unis have dumped the idea of 'facilitating subjects' : https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/may/23/russell-group-scraps-preferred-a-levels-list-after-arts-subjects-hit

And for Law, there are no preferred subjects. Just grades.
Hello,

Thank you for any advice

Those subjects sound good. Especially english and history. A language is always good too.
Original post by Quick-use
@Roses + Dreams

This a completely false myth that has been perpetuated by incredibly misinformed students and teachers. Extremely prestigious universities like Oxford and Cambridge have gone on record to say that A level Law is a completely acceptable subject to study.

Regarding what subjects do pick, generally it's recommended that applicants have 1 or 2 essay subjects as part of their A levels in order to demonstrate that they would cope with essay writing at university. Other than that, there are no subject requirements and doing certain subjects won't increase your chances.

Therefore, you're generally free to choose whatever you like. I'd highly recommend doing subjects that you enjoy the most / will get the best grades at.

Remember: you won't get any extra points for doing 3 traditional subjects. They literally don't care as long as your subjects are reasonably academic enough.

As an aside, I might recommend A level Religious Studies. I always recommend it to students on TSR on like every single thread. :lol: It's an incredibly interesting and easy subject. Really, really is common sense and a very good way to bump up your grades and get into an excellent university. Very respectable subject as well. :rambo: It's also very relevant to Law as topics of RS include ethics (abortion / death penalty etc). Honestly, can't recommend it enough.

Thank you!
Oh OK, thanks for letting me know about Law at A level.

That's good to hear, I mean I have 3 essay subjects so I guess that's alright? The only problem I may have is that I don't study GCSE History (well, I self study it but I don't think that's enough. In my school you couldn't choose both French and History as GCSE subjects as they are taught at the same time). I've heard somewhere that you may be able to study A level History without a GCSE, but I don't know to which extent that's true. I absolutely love it and would do anything to get in, but I'm unsure if I will be permitted or not.

As for the other 3 subjects, I find them fascinating and am performing well in them. Hopefully, I'll persue them in the future.

RS is quite a consideration actually, I did find it interesting when I was younger. Again though, I haven't studied it at GCSE.

Thanks again, your advice is much appreciated.
Thank you!
Oh OK, thanks for letting me know about Law at A level.

That's good to hear, I mean I have 3 essay subjects so I guess that's alright? The only problem I may have is that I don't study GCSE History (well, I self study it but I don't think that's enough. In my school you couldn't choose both French and History as GCSE subjects as they are taught at the same time). I've heard somewhere that you may be able to study A level History without a GCSE, but I don't know to which extent that's true. I absolutely love it and would do anything to get in, but I'm unsure if I will be permitted or not.

As for the other 3 subjects, I find them fascinating and am performing well in them. Hopefully, I'll persue them in the future.

RS is quite a consideration actually, I did find it interesting when I was younger. Again though, I haven't studied it at GCSE.

Thanks again, your advice is much appreciated.

You could go with French, History and RS. That would be an amazing combination and sounds like it'd be an extremely fun 2 years. :fluffy:
You could go with French, History and RS. That would be an amazing combination and sounds like it'd be an extremely fun 2 years. :fluffy:

So, would I be allowed to take History and RS even without a GCSE in them?
So, would I be allowed to take History and RS even without a GCSE in them?

It would depend on the college but it should be completely fine. I don't see why you wouldn't be allowed. You'd be covering different topics, so GCSE History wouldn't even be that relevant.

I'd encourage you to contact colleges in advance and tell them that you really want to do French, History and RS.

Also, in my opinion, RS is definitely doable without a GCSE in it. If a school tells you otherwise, they're talking baloney and making up excuses for whatever reason.
That’s a great combination for law, especially English Lit and History! I did English lit, history and maths and I’m going on to do law
It would depend on the college but it should be completely fine. I don't see why you wouldn't be allowed. You'd be covering different topics, so GCSE History wouldn't even be that relevant.

I'd encourage you to contact colleges in advance and tell them that you really want to do French, History and RS.

Also, in my opinion, RS is definitely doable without a GCSE in it. If a school tells you otherwise, they're talking baloney and making up excuses for whatever reason.

Thank you, and that's what I was told by somebody else for History.

I'll look into it, and I'll consider RS too. Thanks again for all of your help!
Original post by Missbekahxo
That’s a great combination for law, especially English Lit and History! I did English lit, history and maths and I’m going on to do law

Thank you, and good luck for Law!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending