The Student Room Group

RAF Halton basic training

I have applied to join the Air Force. I have passed my aptitude tests etc. I just have a few questions about BRTC.

1) How soon after training can you see your family?
2) Will I be able to leave training for a holiday whilst my training is on?
3) I am joining as a Weapons technician, what's phase 2 like for this?
Original post by Tim_tim

(Original post by Tim_tim)I have applied to join the Air Force. I have passed my aptitude tests etc. I just have a few questions about BRTC.

Congratulations, it varies but normally after week 4 you can see your family. No you cannot leave training for holidays.
Reply 2
I can kind of answer 2 for you. I am an aircraft technician at Cosford. Although the course are different, the base is the same. The sporting facilities are great at Cosford because that is home for the PTI's. There is also quite a good small bar/pub on base which is good. There is also go karting. Hope this helps.
Reply 3
Thanks for all the advice guys, if you don't mind me asking I have seen it come up a lot but where did you guys get your kit from and how soon before your BRTC did you get it?

Also Im scared to death of the thought of Drill, how hard is it?
Reply 4
Original post by Tim_tim

Not at all. 12 year old kids in the air cadets manage it.

Honestly, it's pretty simple if you're vaguely coordinated and can listen.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Tim_tim
I have applied to join the Air Force. I have passed my aptitude tests etc. I just have a few questions about BRTC.

Hi

You'll be able to see your family during training, you will get the occasional weekend break, but that is also dependent on how well you and the rest of your flight are doing. Plus, it's the 21st century, you can speak to them on the phone every night if you want to.

No, you won't be able to go on holiday during training.

Your phase two training is in place to give you the skills to be able to do the role you've applied for. You'll be given a full brief and course breakdown when you start. But everything is in place to make sure you're qualified to start the role when you're posted to your first sqn.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Reply 6
Original post by Tim_tim

Learn your left and right. If you know that you are halfway there. Drill is a pill to be taken twice daily - not as a punishment but as a tonic to life. Sorry, but I like a bit of square bashing. :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by Talon
Learn your left and right. If you know that you are halfway there. Drill is a pill to be taken twice daily - not as a punishment but as a tonic to life. Sorry, but I like a bit of square bashing. :biggrin:

Thanks for the advice I'm sure I will get used to it :u:
Reply 8
Anyone else due to start training at the start of 2020 :cool:
Reply 9
Original post by Tim_tim
Anyone else due to start training at the start of 2020 :cool:

I will pm you
Reply 10
Original post by Tim_tim
Thanks for the advice I'm sure I will get used to it :u:

Marching is just an extension of walking; move your feet, swing your arms more. The problem comes when people start thinking about it and somehow end up moving the arm and leg on the same side. Try it; it's so unnatural I don't know how they do it!!

Quick Reply

Latest