The Student Room Group

Has anyone taught themselves A Level Biology? Tips? Advice?

I'm on a gap year and plan on teaching myself A Level Biology (probably Edexcel). I've done a few past papers this week for the AS and, despite not knowing much, seem to be getting B and C grades. I did a year at University studying Biological Sciences 5 or 6 years ago, so I think I'm capable of teaching myself. I'm only wanting to take A Level Biology to refresh myself so I can return to University next year for a different course.

I briefly studied A Level Biology, but didn't sit the exams (I was often unwell, so I missed a lot). Since then everything about A Levels seems to have changed. The problem is, I don't know where to start.

Does anyone have any tips or advice?
Reply 1
Original post by BackGap
I'm on a gap year and plan on teaching myself A Level Biology (probably Edexcel). I've done a few past papers this week for the AS and, despite not knowing much, seem to be getting B and C grades. I did a year at University studying Biological Sciences 5 or 6 years ago, so I think I'm capable of teaching myself. I'm only wanting to take A Level Biology to refresh myself so I can return to University next year for a different course.

I briefly studied A Level Biology, but didn't sit the exams (I was often unwell, so I missed a lot). Since then everything about A Levels seems to have changed. The problem is, I don't know where to start.

I did edexcel A level Biology A and sat my exams in 2019. I strongly recommend getting the CGP revision guide for this course if you haven't. It's a really good aid to any textbooks you may have. Memorise everything in the CGP guide and you should know almost everything they may ask. The exam technique in the exam is probably harder than the actual level of difficulty of the content (which wasn't the case in the old A level biology exams), so make sure you put a lot of focus on actually understanding and practicing the exam technique. If you want any more specific advice you can always dm!
Reply 2
Original post by mildhan
I did edexcel A level Biology A and sat my exams in 2019. I strongly recommend getting the CGP revision guide for this course if you haven't. It's a really good aid to any textbooks you may have. Memorise everything in the CGP guide and you should know almost everything they may ask. The exam technique in the exam is probably harder than the actual level of difficulty of the content (which wasn't the case in the old A level biology exams), so make sure you put a lot of focus on actually understanding and practicing the exam technique. If you want any more specific advice you can always dm!

I was going to do Biology B, but I might ask the centre where I'll be sitting the exam what they recommend, or try asking my old teacher. I'm so confused by all the changes. I thought I had to sit 5 exams for the A Level, but I think it's only 3 exams for the full A Level?

Just getting my head around which one to do and how its assessed is confusing enough.

But I realised in more recent years is that doing well in A Levels = learning the mark scheme and what words they want you to use.

What part did you find the most challenging? and what parts would you consider more worthwhile investing my time in?
Reply 3
Original post by BackGap
I was going to do Biology B, but I might ask the centre where I'll be sitting the exam what they recommend, or try asking my old teacher. I'm so confused by all the changes. I thought I had to sit 5 exams for the A Level, but I think it's only 3 exams for the full A Level?

Just getting my head around which one to do and how its assessed is confusing enough.

But I realised in more recent years is that doing well in A Levels = learning the mark scheme and what words they want you to use.

What part did you find the most challenging? and what parts would you consider more worthwhile investing my time in?

Yeah there are only 3 exams now. I found the exam technique the most challenging really. The content is not too difficult really, it’s just quite a bit to memorize. I found paper 3 particularly hard and the scientific article within paper 3. Also the 9 markers are pretty awful in paper 3. It’s really important to use the key words the spec wants you to use when answering questions, because even if you’re completely correct in your answer, if you haven’t used the key words they can’t give you any marks. I think exam technique and practicing answering questions is really key to doing well in a level biology. Even if you know the content perfectly, if you haven’t actually practiced answering any of the questions, you’re very unlikely to get higher than a C/B grade.
Original post by BackGap

hi sorry i cant help you with your query, but i wanted to ask you if you remember anything from your course . i am doing biological sciences and wanted some tips for it .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending