The Student Room Group

book recommendations

Does anyone have any 18th century book recommendations? (I like books similar to Rebecca by daphne du maurier and the invisible man by H.G. Wells) Or just any book recommendations in general!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Does anyone have any 18th or 19th century book recommendations? Or any book recommendations in general!
The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells is an excellent example of late 18th century lit, and a much more nuanced and intelligent work than many people describe it as. Dr.Jekyll and Mr Hyde is also worth checking out. In terms of non fiction, Democracy in America by Alexis de Tocqueville is excellent, and a surprisingly engaging read. A lot of it depends on the kind of books you’re into though. Goodreads is a really great site for finding new books, and might be a good place to start.
Reply 3
Original post by JanusGodofDoors
The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells is an excellent example of late 18th century lit, and a much more nuanced and intelligent work than many people describe it as. Dr.Jekyll and Mr Hyde is also worth checking out. In terms of non fiction, Democracy in America by Alexis de Tocqueville is excellent, and a surprisingly engaging read. A lot of it depends on the kind of books you’re into though. Goodreads is a really great site for finding new books, and might be a good place to start.

Thank you! That’s really helpful, I will go and download the app!
Reply 4
I thanks for the recommendation! I started reading Jane eyre but couldn’t really get into it, maybe I’ll try it again. Also I don’t really know the type of Victorian lit I’m after because I haven’t read enough of it 😬 I’m trying to expand the type of books I read though!
Reply 5
Thanks for the advice!
Original post by Tal121
Does anyone have any 18th or 19th century book recommendations? Or any book recommendations in general!

There are so many, if it is in general.

How about French literature?

The Count of Monte Christo
Around The World In Eighty Days

Or rather novels in your mother tongue?

The Good Earth
The Great Gatsby
The Picture of Dorian Gray

I can even recommend German literature, if you like.
Reply 7
Thanks for the recommendations!
i need some good book recommendations what are your favourite books? :smile:
if you like action thrillers then Chris Ryan and Andy McNab are reliable.

Chris Ryan is a pseudonym. His real name is Andy McNab.

Andy McNab is a pseudonym. His real name is.... i'm sure you can guess :h:
Parry Hotter
The Ring of the Lord
The Bohhit
All of the books by mike pannett
2 killuh mockeen buhuhrd by harpugh lay
duh grate fagsby by eff suhcot fitzuhjeruld
lawleeeeeeetuh by vuhlahmeer nahbakawv
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by picklerickk
i need some good book recommendations what are your favourite books? :smile:

Where the crawdads sing is really really good