The Student Room Group

Is it possible to self-teach myself the A-level chemistry practicals?

I'm looking to self-studying A-level chemistry. I was wondering if it's possible to self-teach myself the practicals and then sit them at a local college?

I'm more concerned about if it's possible to learn the theory for the practicals through textbooks and online resources. I did chemistry years ago on the old spec so I do know how to handle practicals. I know all the safety procedures, how to take measurements, how to do titrations etc.

It's just the matter of if it it's possible to learn the theory by myself.

I'm not able to get a place for an actual chemistry course because the cost is too much, but paying to do the exams and practicals are far, far cheaper.

Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by Lightning-Strike
I'm looking to self-studying A-level chemistry. I was wondering if it's possible to self-teach myself the practicals and then sit them at a local college?

I'm more concerned about if it's possible to learn the theory for the practicals through textbooks and online resources. I did chemistry years ago on the old spec so I do know how to handle practicals. I know all the safety procedures, how to take measurements, how to do titrations etc.

I'm not able to get a place for an actual chemistry course because the cost is too much, but paying to do the exams and practicals are far, far cheaper.

Thank you.

It's for sure a possibility, however self teaching a subject like chem is difficult. Especially when you don't have the option to ask questions.. and set youself topic tests and mark your progression. But im sure with hard work it can be done
there is online exam courses which send you information packs, revision guides & practicals to do at home and mark exam papers you do at home like mocks. I’m not too familiar with what they actually send you because of all the health and safety guidelines.
Original post by Lucky10
It's for sure a possibility, however self teaching a subject like chem is difficult. Especially when you don't have the option to ask questions.. and set youself topic tests and mark your progression. But im sure with hard work it can be done

Yeah, I agree it's going to be difficult. The other issue is that I'm self-studying maths, FM and physics as well, but maybe I should drop chemistry.

I don't think the physics practicals will be difficult compared to chemistry. I've done AS physics before and they weren't difficult. Additionally, electronics is my hobby so I've got the electricity bit nailed.

Thank you.
Original post by TheRealSaifali
there is online exam courses which send you information packs, revision guides & practicals to do at home and mark exam papers you do at home like mocks. I’m not too familiar with what they actually send you because of all the health and safety guidelines.

I've looked into those courses, but unfortunately they're too expensive.

I'm also self-studying maths, FM and physics. Maths and FM should he simple as there are so many resources, but of course it will require hard work.

I've done AS physics before and the practical weren't hard. Electronics is my hobby as well so the electricity bit should be simple.

Thank you.
Hi, I am also not sure what to do as I need to study from home on an online course or using textbooks. How have you found it so far/what was your decision?

Thank you,

Mia
Reply 6
I think it should be possible to learn them - many are on You tube.

Have you found a college that will let you do them there?
Have you any idea how much it will cost?
Original post by Compost
I think it should be possible to learn them - many are on You tube.

Have you found a college that will let you do them there?
Have you any idea how much it will cost?

Hi,
Thank you fro your reply. Yes, It is going to be very expensive, for a course about £300, Exam centre £100 and practicals £800 per subject.
Original post by Lightning-Strike

Thank you.

You can self study the practicals, use youtube & flash cards.

Quick Reply

Latest