The Student Room Group

Tough timetable

I've just got my timetable for the new year and because I'm a stay at home student I have to commute. The uni doesn't allow car parking and because I know the area riding a bike is out of the question. My timetable has some considerable gaps between lectures. And to walk it would take both a lot of time and energy and would likely make me unwilling to learn.
Is there a way to get around the annoying gaps and times of the lessons? They take attendance at lectures in my uni so there's that. And I do nothing else on campus and so there's nothing to do. The library comes to mind, but I'd find going to the library everytime I have a break boring.
Original post by Anonymous
I've just got my timetable for the new year and because I'm a stay at home student I have to commute. The uni doesn't allow car parking and because I know the area riding a bike is out of the question. My timetable has some considerable gaps between lectures. And to walk it would take both a lot of time and energy and would likely make me unwilling to learn.
Is there a way to get around the annoying gaps and times of the lessons? They take attendance at lectures in my uni so there's that. And I do nothing else on campus and so there's nothing to do. The library comes to mind, but I'd find going to the library everytime I have a break boring.

I know how you feel, what uni are you at?
Reply 2
Maybe some coursemates will choose to hang around between lectures too?
Reply 3
I'm at UoP. You?

See I tried making friends during induction but it wasn't for long. I'm counting on tomorrow to make friends again. I didn't join any societies or anything just because I'd rather focus on studying, I know all about distractions from last year at uni. Hence why I moved home, it's just the timetable is a pain.
Hopefully though!
I'm at UoP. You?

See I tried making friends during induction but it wasn't for long. I'm counting on tomorrow to make friends again. I didn't join any societies or anything just because I'd rather focus on studying, I know all about distractions from last year at uni. Hence why I moved home, it's just the timetable is a pain.
Hopefully though!

Is that Portsmouth? I’m at Southampton so not far...and I’m commuting as well.
Reply 5
I'm at UoP. You?

Hopefully though!

Unfortunately I think you're probably out of luck with regard to the timetabling itself. You could try asking if some of your contact hours can be rearranged, but if it's lectures that are the problem then that won't be able to happen. In which case you either stay on campus (which might be an excuse to study, leading to more free time at home), or reconsider your transport alternatives
Reply 6
Yeah Portsmouth, I was at Southampton last year.

Well it's just all over the place, I'd probably prefer to watch the lectures if they're recorded but they take attendance which is annoying.
Yeah I'll likely stay on campus for the shorter times, it's just frustrating with the 5hr+ gaps.
They have a free bus but again it doesn't come to where I live, walking is very sketchy. I was tempted to take my cbt and get a moped just for ease but I don't trust the area lol
Looks like I'm gonna have to slug it out. Thx anyway
Yeah Portsmouth, I was at Southampton last year.

Well it's just all over the place, I'd probably prefer to watch the lectures if they're recorded but they take attendance which is annoying.
Yeah I'll likely stay on campus for the shorter times, it's just frustrating with the 5hr+ gaps.
They have a free bus but again it doesn't come to where I live, walking is very sketchy. I was tempted to take my cbt and get a moped just for ease but I don't trust the area lol
Looks like I'm gonna have to slug it out. Thx anyway

Where abouts are you commuting from? And 5 hours between lectures is a very long time no sure I could stay for that long...
Reply 8
I live in Portsmouth but where I live is kinda out the way. I can walk there but it's so energy draining and the places I've got to walk through are probably the worst in the city. So come the time of year when it gets darker its gonna be even sketchier.
I am also commuting and have some 4 hour gaps. There is a gym so I could go for a swim or a class (if tines line up) and it’s London so could in theory go to a museum or shopping. Or watch Netflix.
Or maybe study!
Yeah I'd love to say I can study but I have a short attention span so I'd probably really be sat on my phone in the library. I might find out about the gym though, but then it's adding to the energy drain. Idk. Maybe I'm being over dramatic haha

Quick Reply

Latest