The Student Room Group

Dentistry Or Optometry

Hey,

I am finding it difficult to decide whether do dentistry, optometry or any other health-related career. Does anyone have any suggestions to a health-related career. I am in year 12 and have achieved 3 7s, 2 6s and 3 5s. Please let me know, thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Raja12
Hey,

I am finding it difficult to decide whether do dentistry, optometry or any other health-related career. Does anyone have any suggestions to a health-related career. I am in year 12 and have achieved 3 7s, 2 6s and 3 5s. Please let me know, thanks

Have you done any work experience at a dental practice or opticians? My daughter couldn’t decide whether to do dentistry or graphic design! She did some work experience in both and is now just starting her second year at Newcastle doing dentistry!
Hope this helps
Reply 2
Original post by Bebe2018
Have you done any work experience at a dental practice or opticians? My daughter couldn’t decide whether to do dentistry or graphic design! She did some work experience in both and is now just starting her second year at Newcastle doing dentistry!
Hope this helps

Thanks for your reply. I am thinking of optometry as a backup plan, as i have average GCSEs, which may mean that i dont get into dentistry. I am going to have optometry as my backup and dentistry as my first choice. I got 3 7s, 2 6s and 3 5s in GCSEs. I am planning to go to Newcastle university for dentistry too. Can you please let me know how everything went for her when applying and what her a level results were, if you dont mind? Thank you very much
Reply 3
Original post by Raja12
Thanks for your reply. I am thinking of optometry as a backup plan, as i have average GCSEs, which may mean that i dont get into dentistry. I am going to have optometry as my backup and dentistry as my first choice. I got 3 7s, 2 6s and 3 5s in GCSEs. I am planning to go to Newcastle university for dentistry too. Can you please let me know how everything went for her when applying and what her a level results were, if you dont mind? Thank you very much

She achieved 5A*, 5A at GCSE and took Maths, Biology & Chemistry at A level. 650 band 2 in her ukcat. Which at the time she was unhappy with but still worked out at being above average for her year.
She did work experience at a general dental practice, ortho, endo, implant, maxfax, community and lab.
Volunteered for a year at the local hospital on the dementia ward.
She applied to Newcastle, Sheffield, Bristol and Cardiff. She got interviews and offers from both Newcastle and Sheffield. Newcastle was her favourite from the start because of how friendly everyone was, great compact city and that the dental hospital, lectures etc were all in one building and attached to the hospital (RVI)
Her interview was a panel and not MMI and they pretty much just wanted to get to know her.
She got AAB at A level but still got her place at Newcastle because she scored highly at interview, 29.5 out of 30.
She will admit that it was the hardest and most stressful process but well worth it!
If there’s anything else you would like to know please feel free to ask me.
Hope this helps
Reply 4
Original post by Bebe2018
She achieved 5A*, 5A at GCSE and took Maths, Biology & Chemistry at A level. 650 band 2 in her ukcat. Which at the time she was unhappy with but still worked out at being above average for her year.
She did work experience at a general dental practice, ortho, endo, implant, maxfax, community and lab.
Volunteered for a year at the local hospital on the dementia ward.
She applied to Newcastle, Sheffield, Bristol and Cardiff. She got interviews and offers from both Newcastle and Sheffield. Newcastle was her favourite from the start because of how friendly everyone was, great compact city and that the dental hospital, lectures etc were all in one building and attached to the hospital (RVI)
Her interview was a panel and not MMI and they pretty much just wanted to get to know her.
She got AAB at A level but still got her place at Newcastle because she scored highly at interview, 29.5 out of 30.
She will admit that it was the hardest and most stressful process but well worth it!
If there’s anything else you would like to know please feel free to ask me.
Hope this helps

Thank you very much. I am planning to do volunteering and work experience. I have already done work experience in a pharmacy and bank. I am also goinf to have guitar or violin lessons, to show dextority. I am just scared that with my GCSEs, they might not accept me. Thank you once again
Reply 5
Original post by Raja12
Thank you very much. I am planning to do volunteering and work experience. I have already done work experience in a pharmacy and bank. I am also goinf to have guitar or violin lessons, to show dextority. I am just scared that with my GCSEs, they might not accept me. Thank you once again

It maybe worth ringing the uni and checking what GCSE grades are required.
Good luck with everything!
Reply 6
Hey, I'm just wondering if you managed to get into dentistry as I have similar gcses.

Quick Reply

Latest