The Student Room Group

Video-chatting with an online friend?

Would you do it? When would you video chat with an online friend?

Scroll to see replies

I don’t mind video chatting, I have done so in the past. As long as we’ve both seen each other on call and I know they aren’t some 40 year old pedo, it’s all good
Original post by Anonymous
Would you do it? When would you video chat with an online friend?

I've done a few times. But turns out all they wanted was money. That was the real reason rhet wanted to video call so I don't do it anymore. I'm not saying that's everyone you meet online. But most of them aren't what they seem to be. So just be careful if you do do it and make sure they are who they first say they are as in what they say by messages is the sane as they say face to face. As most people will say one thing through dms and act real nice. Then, as sok as you go on video they act different and they don't always talk the way they do via dms
Reply 3
I'd probably only do it after voice chatting with them first

Original post by wxgmak
I don’t mind video chatting, I have done so in the past. As long as we’ve both seen each other on call and I know they aren’t some 40 year old pedo, it’s all good

One time I thought that happened to me, but it turns out he was only 38. Phew!
Original post by Sataris

38? That’s fine. He’s off the hook
Yeah I've done it a lot with online friends. Was more common back in the days of MSN though.
Reply 6
Original post by jfbristol1
I've done a few times. But turns out all they wanted was money. That was the real reason rhet wanted to video call so I don't do it anymore. I'm not saying that's everyone you meet online. But most of them aren't what they seem to be. So just be careful if you do do it and make sure they are who they first say they are as in what they say by messages is the sane as they say face to face. As most people will say one thing through dms and act real nice. Then, as sok as you go on video they act different and they don't always talk the way they do via dms

They wanted money?! But how did you find out through video chatting? I mean did you ask them for money?
Reply 7
Original post by wxgmak

Are they random people? Or are you friends with them and then you video chatted with them?
Original post by Precious Illusions
Yeah I've done it a lot with online friends. Was more common back in the days of MSN though.

Emo girls + MSN = my teenage years in a nutshell :colone:
Reply 9
Original post by It's****ingWOODY

That’s wild, my parents met through msn
Original post by myraxo
That’s wild, my parents met through msn

They must have had you pretty soon after meeting then! IIRC the messenger was launched in like 2000, was a huge thing in the mid-00s. Mostly for teenagers flashing each other their private parts :rofl:
Reply 11
They must have had you pretty soon after meeting then! IIRC the messenger was launched in like 2000, was a huge thing in the mid-00s. Mostly for teenagers flashing each other their private parts :rofl:

They did! It’s mad to think without that website I wouldn’t have been born 😭😭
Original post by myraxo
They did! It’s mad to think without that website I wouldn’t have been born 😭😭

Does your father's surname begin with an N, by chance? Just saying, if I was a parent and I met my other half on MSN and my surname began with an N, I'd name them so their initial spelled out MSN :h: Like if my surname was Norris I'd name my son something like Michael Scott Norris :rofl:
Reply 13
Does your father's surname begin with an N, by chance? Just saying, if I was a parent and I met my other half on MSN and my surname began with an N, I'd name them so their initial spelled out MSN :h: Like if my surname was Norris I'd name my son something like Michael Scott Norris :rofl:

That’s so annoying!!! My first two initials are MS, but unfortunately there’s no N. Missed opportunity from their end :frown:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by myraxo
That’s so annoying!!! My first two initials are MS, but unfortunately there’s no N. Missed opportunity from their end :frown:

Ahh, it sounds like they had the same idea but was lacking the right surname, so they just made do with the M and the S :h:
Original post by Sataris

Yeah I know what you mean. You just cant be to careful these days. But I would ask him for a recent pic before you video call. That way when you video call hom you can look at the pic and see if it matches the person on video just a thought.
I usually can't be arsed with video chatting unless the other person is very enthusiastic about it and I don't want to dissapoint them lol. Usually when they want to show me something they bought on amazon or show me their new flat etc.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Are they random people? Or are you friends with them and then you video chatted with them?

I’m friends with them first and then we call

I was an emo *****...did...did WE video chat?!
Original post by wxgmak

Very accommodating, I see.:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending