The Student Room Group

Week or day in the life of psychology student

Any psychology wanna share their week or day in their lives?
Reply 1
Hey, are you talking about uni students? This would differ massively depending on the uni they study at, and also what year they're in.
For instance, I'm a final year Psychology student and I have 3 lectures a week this semester (x2 Tuesday, x1 Thursday), and then dissertation meetings with my supervisor. In my spare time I'm either finding readings around my dissertation topic, conducting my research for it, or writing other pieces of coursework for my other modules. I actually seem to have a lot of spare time where I can do non-uni activities too, but it's all about time management.
In previous years, I'd have lectures 4 days a week and be taking more modules, worth fewer credits each. Therefore I wouldn't have as much free time and it'd be a bit less self-directed (still more self-directed than school/college though).
If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask!
youtube have some vlogs which probably show in better detail anything that can be posted here
Reply 3
Original post by Marni_
Hey, are you talking about uni students? This would differ massively depending on the uni they study at, and also what year they're in.
For instance, I'm a final year Psychology student and I have 3 lectures a week this semester (x2 Tuesday, x1 Thursday), and then dissertation meetings with my supervisor. In my spare time I'm either finding readings around my dissertation topic, conducting my research for it, or writing other pieces of coursework for my other modules. I actually seem to have a lot of spare time where I can do non-uni activities too, but it's all about time management.
In previous years, I'd have lectures 4 days a week and be taking more modules, worth fewer credits each. Therefore I wouldn't have as much free time and it'd be a bit less self-directed (still more self-directed than school/college though).
If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask!

Ah thanks so much!
Can I ask, do you know what you want tk do after uni, in terms of what type of psychology your into and where you want to be working?
Reply 4
Original post by Esmerussell
Ah thanks so much!
Can I ask, do you know what you want tk do after uni, in terms of what type of psychology your into and where you want to be working?

No problem :smile:
I'm most interested in the neuro and cognitive side of things. I'm actually hoping to do graduate medicine after I finish this year, then possibly down the psychiatry route, possibly surgery/neuro/another route. There's huge variation on my course though. Some want to be educational psychologists, and a lot are interested in becoming clinical psychologists.
Reply 5
Original post by Marni_
No problem :smile:
I'm most interested in the neuro and cognitive side of things. I'm actually hoping to do graduate medicine after I finish this year, then possibly down the psychiatry route, possibly surgery/neuro/another route. There's huge variation on my course though. Some want to be educational psychologists, and a lot are interested in becoming clinical psychologists.

Ah cool :smile: I've heard about many doing clinical, does this type of psych earn a good salary do you know?
Reply 6
Original post by Esmerussell
Ah cool :smile: I've heard about many doing clinical, does this type of psych earn a good salary do you know?

Yeah it can be. Like most jobs it depends how well you do and how far you go with it. Check this out for some figures: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/clinical-psychologist

Quick Reply

Latest