The Student Room Group

Should I risk getting rejected and apply to uni with inadequate predicted grades?

Because I got awful predicted grades (BBB) based mostly on year 12 and all of my choices require at least AAA. I thinking about applying to uni after year 13 (after I get my actual grades) but I'm not sure how this may affect my chances of getting in. Also I'm worried that the school is not going to help me with the application process (if I decide to apply to uni after a gap year) At the same time I don't want to apply to a mediocre university with low entry requirements, because I know that I would regret that in the future and feel unfulfilled.

I talked to my teachers (once even with my parents) and they said that they are not going to raise my predicted grades - I completely understand that they know better and have more experience so I'm not going to beg them to change my grades - the only thing I can do is to prove them wrong and get the required AAA in summer.

What would be the best thing to do? Should I apply to uni this year and risk rejection or should I apply after I get my actual results?
If you’re already expecting a gap year then it’s a good idea to apply this year. Think of it as a practice run - if you get offers then that’s a bonus. If you don’t get any offers then you have a better understanding of how ucas works when you apply in your gap year with less support from your school.
Original post by PQ
If you’re already expecting a gap year then it’s a good idea to apply this year. Think of it as a practice run - if you get offers then that’s a bonus. If you don’t get any offers then you have a better understanding of how ucas works when you apply in your gap year with less support from your school.

Would getting rejected affect my chances of getting in when I reapply next year?
Original post by Crunchy Napkin
Would getting rejected affect my chances of getting in when I reapply next year?

Not at all. If anything it’s an advantage because a university knows that you’ve thought through your choices and still picked them.

Plus if you don’t get any offers and then get the grades in August 2020 then you’ll be able to apply in clearing too if there’s spaces at the universities you’re interested in.
I don’t understand how BBB is bad?
Original post by lucyddf72

BBB isn't bad and OP could still get into a decent uni with BBB predictions. The issue seems to be that they think they are capable of getting AAA.

Someone predicted BBB can still apply to AAA unis but due to the chance of being rejected, should also apply to AAB/ABB/ BBB unis too.
Original post by lucyddf72

It's below the minimum entry requirements so I fear rejection/not even getting an interview if I do apply this year.
Original post by Crunchy Napkin
It's below the minimum entry requirements so I fear rejection/not even getting an interview if I do apply this year.

But if you don't apply you definitely won't get in! Just try to protect yourself from the possibility of getting five rejections

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending