The Student Room Group

My manager is pushing me to take over her position, but it's not my career path

I've been in my job for 6+ months now but my manager is already laying into me to take over her job title of Registered Care Manager.
I am flattered to be offered this training opportunity and for her to think I have great potential, however I feel that at this stage I don't feel ready for this commitment due to lack of practical care experience.

I mainly work in Recruitment Administration side of her business which is why I feel thats where I belong - not a Registered Care Manager.

In my supervision, I did state exactly that but I don't think she's got the message...:frown:

Also a different company is offering me what I want, but I don't have experience in payroll which is the main side of the role.

I'm not sure what to do, does anyone have any advice? :confused:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Take it? Do it for even 12 months as it raises you up in the career ladder a lot faster than anything else.

Reality is, you’ve been offered something good and they’ll likely train you into the job.

Many people I know work jobs they don’t want to short term for the longer term goal. Letting it go could be a huge mistake and you’d end up working admin like people I know with some jobs being little above minimum wage for management duties anyway.

Don’t be daft
Original post by AngelsandFairies
I've been in my job for 6+ months now but my manager is already laying into me to take over her job title of Registered Care Manager.
I am flattered to be offered this training opportunity and for her to think I have great potential, however I feel that at this stage I don't feel ready for this commitment due to lack of practical care experience.

I mainly work in Recruitment Administration side of her business which is why I feel thats where I belong - not a Registered Care Manager.

In my supervision, I did state exactly that but I don't think she's got the message...:frown:

Also a different company is offering me what I want, but I don't have experience in payroll which is the main side of the role.

I'm not sure what to do, does anyone have any advice? :confused:

Why is the other company offering you a job, when you don't have experience in payroll? Have you been for an interview, or have you been head hunted? There are always jobs going in payroll, with too few people to fill them. Therefore if you accept this other job, even if you don't like it, you will be snatched up pretty quickly by other companies with your new found experience in payroll. Plus the rest of the role is exactly what you have been looking for.
Experience is Experience. Even the bad stuff, as long as you learn and assimilate the lessons from it.

Take the opportunities, accept the mentoring and training that might accompany it. Then go elsewhere careerwise if you still feel the urge. Clearly they think you have potential, don't shoot yourself in the foot by being longsighted and forgetting the short term gains.
Original post by Oxford Mum
Why is the other company offering you a job, when you don't have experience in payroll? Have you been for an interview, or have you been head hunted? There are always jobs going in payroll, with too few people to fill them. Therefore if you accept this other job, even if you don't like it, you will be snatched up pretty quickly by other companies with your new found experience in payroll. Plus the rest of the role is exactly what you have been looking for.

It's for another care company - but a very well established one though. I've had a brief telephone interview with them a couple of days ago. Told them about the whole situation and they said because I have recruitment experience, I have potential to be an Office Manager within HR and Recruitment (HR Recruitment Manager basically).

I kept telling them to be aware that I have zero experience in payroll and they didn't seem to mind that as the role predominantly involves recruitment as well anyway.

I'm not sure what to think about it though? :confused:
Will they train you in payroll? Will you be trained by the previous person before they leave? It’s a well established company too.

Sounds like a good position. And is the pay a step up? Do they seem like nice people? You may have the opportunity to visit the workplace for the second interview then you can get a clearer picture
Original post by Oxford Mum
Will they train you in payroll? Will you be trained by the previous person before they leave? It’s a well established company too.

Sounds like a good position. And is the pay a step up? Do they seem like nice people? You may have the opportunity to visit the workplace for the second interview then you can get a clearer picture

They said the payroll side is quite basic and they are willing to train me. I've also told them my experience in the care field as I know the regulations a provider should work towards to. In my current job I've already been trained in preparing for an inspection.
So I do know what to expect in the job.

The only problem is payroll for me because I don't have to deal with it in my current role. I've worked in recruitment since university 5 years ago and have never dealt with the payroll side.
When I spoke to the Finance Manager who phone screened me, he complimented on my experience and I told him that I want to stay in HR Recruitment as I feel that is my main area of expertise - which he appreciated and said positively that I have potential to step up the career ladder within the company.

My manager has the same vision about me though - but in the care field as a Registered Manager, so I'm
slightly confused as to which path I should take? :confused:
Original post by AngelsandFairies
They said the payroll side is quite basic and they are willing to train me. I've also told them my experience in the care field as I know the regulations a provider should work towards to. In my current job I've already been trained in preparing for an inspection.
So I do know what to expect in the job.

The only problem is payroll for me because I don't have to deal with it in my current role. I've worked in recruitment since university 5 years ago and have never dealt with the payroll side.
When I spoke to the Finance Manager who phone screened me, he complimented on my experience and I told him that I want to stay in HR Recruitment as I feel that is my main area of expertise - which he appreciated and said positively that I have potential to step up the career ladder within the company.

My manager has the same vision about me though - but in the care field as a Registered Manager, so I'm
slightly confused as to which path I should take? :confused:

In the short to medium term, registered manager is a stronger role than the HR route. There are a limited number of registered manager, there are endless potential HR managers.

You might want to stop telling people what you can't do, when the offer you career advancement as well! If you don't have confidence in yourself at least try and develop some confidence in what other career professionals are telling you! You are obviously being spotted for the right reasons, just accept that and take onboard the advice. No-one is fully ready for a new job when they get it, there's always an amount of learning to do.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by threeportdrift
Inthe short to medium term, registered manager is a stronger role than the HR route. There are a limited number of registered manager, there are endless potential HR managers.

You might want to stop telling people what you can't do, when the offer you career advancement as well! If you don't have confidence in yourself at least try and develop some confidence in what other career professionals are telling you! You are obviously being spotted for the right reasons, just accept that and take onboard the advice. No-one is fully ready for a new job when they get it, there's always an amount of learning to do.

This is correct. It's all good! Just rejoice that people are prepared to give you a chance and believe in you. With some good training, you will soon blossom in your new role, whichever one it is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending