The Student Room Group

Labour has voted to get rid of private schools

Scroll to see replies

Original post by __itertools__
Please, stop being a bully and presumptuous. When did I say I have something useful (to you anyway, you can't be expected to know what could be useful to everyone) to add? Everyone puts forth what they consider to be constructive. You, on the other hand tell people foolish and give other attributes from their single, kind question.

You also got your answer, in case you failed to notice...
Original post by harrysbar
She would never be able to work out the sums involved :confused:

:teehee:
Original post by James23121
Maybe mummy and daddy worked hard for their money?

I imagine in some instances that may be true, but not the majority. There is a lot of research which links wealthy parents to a child's future success.

Rich parents' children are not special and better than any other child. Why should they get better teaching and facilities just because of where and to whom they happened to be born. It has nothing to do with the child's innate abilities, intelligence or willingness to work hard.

Nepotism is rife enough in the glitzy rafters of society, cut it early.
Sorry, it is not related to the topic at hand but it it normal for people to be uncourteous or maybe even deliberately hurtful in this website like @Drewski above?
Corbyn is a ****ing loony god help if he got into number 10 with his racist buddy Diane Abbott
Original post by Drewski
It's nice that you think that.

Back in the real world, however...

Yes, the real world of food poverty, a total lack of social mobility and huge wealth inequality.

No wonder so many morons with vested interests are rushing to defend these symbols of inequality.

It's good to see that Labour are still a party for the common man.
Original post by __itertools__
Sorry, it is not related to the topic at hand but it it normal for people to be uncourteous or maybe even deliberately hurtful in this website like @Drewski above?

Get over yourself. That was nothing. You need a thicker skin
Original post by Palmyra
Imagine if the wealthy and powerful had to send their kids to state schools, how quickly standards would be raised among state schools...

Oh no, they wouldn't. :tongue:
Do you know how many of the privately educated 'students' from the most affluent families have been expelled from state schools for criminal conduct?
I'm using the word students to describe the entitled trust fund juvenile delinquents whose viciousness, drug dealing and hooligan antic brought years of chaos to multiple schools where I was studying.
Original post by Palmyra
Yes, the real world of food poverty, a total lack of social mobility and huge wealth inequality.

No wonder so many morons with vested interests are rushing to defend these symbols of inequality.

It's good to see that Labour are still a party for the common man.

As if you're deluded enough to think that this would stop that... The kids that were previously private schooled wouldn't be suddenly enrolled in state school, they'd be home schooled with those same private school teachers being private tutors. It wouldn't change a damn thing.
private schools save the state £3.5 billion every year. If anything this will put more strain on already underfunded and over strained state schools, making them worse not better :frown:
I'd be all for getting rid of them. They serve no wider purpose than to line the pockets of the already rich. I'd rather the best teachers that get attracted by money, teach in state schools where everybody gets a chance to be taught by the best rather than just a small percent of a privileged few.
Much of the Labour Party despise grammar schools even more than independent schools.
Still smarting about their own grammar school experiences decades later or bitter that they couldn't pass the entry exams when they were 10/13 years old.:biggrin:
Original post by Guru Jason
I'd rather the best teachers that get attracted by money, teach in state schools

They're attracted by the money... What makes you think they'll happily go to state school and get paid peanuts in comparison?

They'll leave. It'll be a massive brain drain.
I can see your point. I am not very literate in this matter but I hope the reason state schools are underfunded is not due to most of the government money for education going towards the public schools (not sure why private school are called misleadingly public schools). How would getting rid of private schools improve standards of public school?

To the oxbridge question; same thing can be said about the students who have private tutors, they have an advantage. What about the students whose elder sibling studies the same subject as they are applying to at a university? It is clear that more funding and a better policy regarding teaching in state school is necessary but I do not see that banning public schools being in the right spirit.
Original post by Drewski
As if you're deluded enough to think that this would stop that... The kids that were previously private schooled wouldn't be suddenly enrolled in state school, they'd be home schooled with those same private school teachers being private tutors. It wouldn't change a damn thing.

Yes, that's why there is so much concerted opposition to this move from the classes most affected. Makes sense.
Original post by Palmyra
Yes, that's why there is so much concerted opposition to this move from the classes most affected. Makes sense.

Yes, it's no surprise that there's opposition to a plan that won't work. Glad we're in agreement.
Original post by Drewski
They're attracted by the money... What makes you think they'll happily go to state school and get paid peanuts in comparison?

They'll leave. It'll be a massive brain drain.

If they leave for another country then so be it. If we believe that education is a right then there should be no advantages for one over another.
If they leave for another country then so be it. If we believe that education is a right then there should be no advantages for one over another.

As has been mentioned already in the thread, what about private healthcare? That's the same boat.

What about housing? That's a right. So why do we allow some people to have massive mansions while others make do with one room studios?

Where do you draw the line?

Thats impossible to enforce. You get advantages and disadvanatges between state school. Some teachers are better than others etc.
Original post by londonmyst
Much of the Labour Party despise grammar schools even more than independent schools.
Still smarting about their own grammar school experiences decades later or bitter that they couldn't pass the entry exams when they were 10/13 years old.:biggrin:

It’s unfortunate that their parents were not affluent enough to be able to afford entry exam tuition for them to get in. Creating more grammar schools and increasing funding to state schools would solve this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending