The Student Room Group

Saudi Arabia vows to retaliate to attacks

Does anyone else find it rather amusing theyre continuing to try and play the victim card here? I'm rather inclined to agree with Taki in saying serves them right.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-49782693

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Napp
Does anyone else find it rather amusing theyre continuing to try and play the victim card here? I'm rather inclined to agree with Taki in saying serves them right.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-49782693

What serves them right?

I suppose it depends whether you really believe it was the Houthi or Iran?
If it was Houthi then they couldnt have done it without Iran and they wouldnt have done it without their go ahead.
If it was Iran direct, then I suppose a retaliation in kind will be on the menu.
Not sure whether that's amusing, at least they can have less talk and more war to sort themselves out.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
What serves them right?

A missile strike

I suppose it depends whether you really believe it was the Houthi or Iran?
If it was Houthi then they couldnt have done it without Iran and they wouldnt have done it without their go ahead.

Quite possibly but it depends on what your view of Irans relationship with the Houthis is. Contrary to the propaganda peddled by the white house im more inclined to believe the analysts in the ME who assert it is nothing like Irans relationship with Hizbollah but much more laissez faire. They give them some money and training and generally let them do as they please.

If it was Iran direct, then I suppose a retaliation in kind will be on the menu.

I'd be curious to see if the Saudis could actually pull any kind of retaliation off (bar the usual thing of bombing children and beheading clerics) I mean on paper they have an exceptional military whilst in practice they seem to be err somewhat less than competent.
To be honest id be surprised if it was Tehran though, this would mark one hell of an escalation on their previous activities but time will tell.

Not sure whether that's amusing, at least they can have less talk and more war to sort themselves out.

Possibly time to pop to the bookies for this bout.
They don't have the balls (or ability) to attack Iran, all they can do is yap for Daddy Trump to sell them more junk US weapons for billions of dollars.
Original post by Napp
A missile strike

Quite possibly but it depends on what your view of Irans relationship with the Houthis is. Contrary to the propaganda peddled by the white house im more inclined to believe the analysts in the ME who assert it is nothing like Irans relationship with Hizbollah but much more laissez faire. They give them some money and training and generally let them do as they please.

I'd be curious to see if the Saudis could actually pull any kind of retaliation off (bar the usual thing of bombing children and beheading clerics) I mean on paper they have an exceptional military whilst in practice they seem to be err somewhat less than competent.
To be honest id be surprised if it was Tehran though, this would mark one hell of an escalation on their previous activities but time will tell.

Possibly time to pop to the bookies for this bout.

1. The technology , training and intelligence would come from Iran. It is too niche. You also have the practical issue in that a drone couldnt have reached from Yemen. Its a bit different from supplying AK47s. I dont believe it could have been mounted without Irans direct aid nor started without their approval.

2. Based on the above I dont think it makes any difference whether it comes from Yemen as it would need Iranian input and sanctioning for it to happen. This wasnt some Hezbollah unguided rocket strikes.

3. Id expect they would just use missiles and the obvious targets would be simply blowing up some of their refineries. Hard to hide.

I think its a step closer to conflict. Least we wont have to listen to either side making silly speeches and they can get on with seeing who has the most effective military.
I mean if somebody attacked my money field, I’d be pissed.
Hopefully there will be more of these non-lethal attacks on Saudi’s oil supply, even if Iran is just as bad. It’s onyl because of their oil industry and buying our guns that they’re able to be one of our closest allies while executing apostates, lgbt+, women, religious minorities etc. Once their economy plummets, they’ll have to reform or become just another poor backwards nation.
Original post by NickAlex12
Hopefully there will be more of these non-lethal attacks on Saudi’s oil supply, even if Iran is just as bad. It’s onyl because of their oil industry and buying our guns that they’re able to be one of our closest allies while executing apostates, lgbt+, women, religious minorities etc. Once their economy plummets, they’ll have to reform or become just another poor backwards nation.

And send the global economy down the loo while they're at it. If the KSA's oil is disrupted further and Iran even just deploys a few mines in the Strait of Hormuz, you can expect oil prices to soar. $200 a barrel for oil wouldn't be unrealistic.
Until the West at least has reliable alternatives - a majority electricity car owning population and nuclear fusion for power, oil is the lifeblood of the world. Even after that, oil is essential in many materials like plastics.
Original post by NickAlex12

So you will be fine if Iran has its oil facilities destroyed?
When you say non lethal you do realise this is more luck that people werent killed?
Will you be in favour of war?
Are you ok with the UK and many others plunging into recession?
When you say non lethal you do realise this is more luck that people werent killed?

To destroy the Saudis it would be worth it. Really we should just let them destroy each other. The world would be a much better place without Saudi Arabia or Iran.
Original post by James23121
To destroy the Saudis it would be worth it. Really we should just let them destroy each other. The world would be a much better place without Saudi Arabia or Iran.

So you dont mind if the world economy goes into deep recession and millions of people die. Nice of you.

Yes to all
Mmm ok then, you must hate them a lot to want to see the death of millions.
So you dont mind if the world economy goes into deep recession and millions of people die. Nice of you.

There's no reason for the world to go into recession. We could simply take their oil if we really wanted to. As for the Saudi regime it's basically Isis with money. They can go to hell for all I care.
There's no reason for the world to go into recession. We could simply take their oil if we really wanted to. As for the Saudi regime it's basically Isis with money. They can go to hell for all I care.

Ofc we could, if you say so.
Ofc we could, if you say so.

We have nukes. They don't. We could if we wanted to. I fail to see how you think you're on the moral high ground here. You're literally defending one regime which executes children and another which hangs gay people from cranes.
We have nukes. They don't. We could if we wanted to. I fail to see how you think you're on the moral high ground here. You're literally defending one regime which executes children and another which hangs gay people from cranes.

Whilst I have no love for the barbaric KSA or Iranian regimes, 19th Century style resource gathering colonialism isn't exactly the answer either.
And as the KSA partly funded Pakistan's nuclear weapons programme, it's certainly not unthinkable that several Pakistani nukes may "go missing" and suddenly end up attached to KSA missiles in the event of a crisis.
Original post by Tempest II
Whilst I have no love for the barbaric KSA or Iranian regimes, 19th Century style resource gathering colonialism isn't exactly the answer either.
And as the KSA partly funded Pakistan's nuclear weapons programme, it's certainly not unthinkable that several Pakistani nukes may "go missing" and suddenly end up attached to KSA missiles in the event of a crisis.

All the more reason to go to war with them. Do you really want a country which shares the same extremist interpretation of Islam as Isis, to have nukes? The same country which was more likely than not involved in the twin tower attacks? Certainly they are not above suspicion. Saudi Arabia sponsors terrorism all over the world. If anyone should get a taste of American "freedom" its them.
Reply 18
All the more reason to go to war with them. Do you really want a country which shares the same extremist interpretation of Islam as Isis, to have nukes? The same country which was more likely than not involved in the twin tower attacks? Certainly they are not above suspicion. Saudi Arabia sponsors terrorism all over the world. If anyone should get a taste of American "freedom" its them.

Amusingly enough there was a plan for the Americans to invade and occupy KSA decades ago incase they didnt play ball with their black gold :lol:
Reply 19

I've a;ways wondered why the yanks et al. dont take this threat more seriously. I mean its fairly common knowledge that the Pakistani program was little more than a Saudi proxy in many ways and if for some reason the Fuhurer in Riyadh wanted a warhead the Pakistanis would almost certainly oblige.
And send the global economy down the loo while they're at it. If the KSA's oil is disrupted further and Iran even just deploys a few mines in the Strait of Hormuz, you can expect oil prices to soar. $200 a barrel for oil wouldn't be unrealistic.
Until the West at least has reliable alternatives - a majority electricity car owning population and nuclear fusion for power, oil is the lifeblood of the world. Even after that, oil is essential in many materials like plastics.

Never mind a fair number of medicines etc. Far too many people seem to think that oil just runs your cars, planes and power plants when in reality most of our world revolves around this dinosaur juice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending