The Student Room Group

A-levels or As levels I can do in one year basically independently

Hi, I received my A level results recently and although 2 of them went the way I wanted them to, the 3rd one, Computer science,didnt. Unfortunately my teacher wasnt qualified to teach this subject to us and I got the highest grade in the class with a D. I'm now on a gap year in Israel and I need to find an A level or As which can get me the 16 ucas points I need to get into my preferred uni. Given the fact that I've done economics and did quite well in it, does anyone think I could take business studies in 1 year and do it pretty much independently?
Original post by ari schischa
Hi, I received my A level results recently and although 2 of them went the way I wanted them to, the 3rd one, Computer science,didnt. Unfortunately my teacher wasnt qualified to teach this subject to us and I got the highest grade in the class with a D. I'm now on a gap year in Israel and I need to find an A level or As which can get me the 16 ucas points I need to get into my preferred uni. Given the fact that I've done economics and did quite well in it, does anyone think I could take business studies in 1 year and do it pretty much independently?

Hi there,

Hoping I can help.

You can do accelerated A-levels in a year but they can be difficult to come across in a taught environment. The best thing I could recommend would be to look into distance learning.

Through distance learning you can learn at your own pace and do the work independently however there is a cost involved. To ensure that you are working towards an accredited qualification I would recommend starting here - https://www.icslearn.co.uk/courses/a-levels/a-level-business/

You will need to find somewhere to study the exam at the end of the year and pay the examination fees but the rest of your learning will be done independently in your own time.

I hope this helps.

Thanks - Sophie.
Original post by National Careers Service
Hi there,

Hoping I can help.

You can do accelerated A-levels in a year but they can be difficult to come across in a taught environment. The best thing I could recommend would be to look into distance learning.

Through distance learning you can learn at your own pace and do the work independently however there is a cost involved. To ensure that you are working towards an accredited qualification I would recommend starting here - https://www.icslearn.co.uk/courses/a-levels/a-level-business/

You will need to find somewhere to study the exam at the end of the year and pay the examination fees but the rest of your learning will be done independently in your own time.

I hope this helps.

Thanks - Sophie.

Hi there,

I'm a year 13 students and currently doing A-Levels, so the question of me doing an extra A Level in a potential gap year may never materialise.

However, if this were to happen, would you have any advice or sites you could point me towards for doing English Language A level in one year?
Original post by mdowdall
Hi there,

I'm a year 13 students and currently doing A-Levels, so the question of me doing an extra A Level in a potential gap year may never materialise.

However, if this were to happen, would you have any advice or sites you could point me towards for doing English Language A level in one year?

Hi there,

You may also find it useful to speak with ICS Learn about their A-level English Language courses -- https://www.icslearn.co.uk/courses/a-levels/a-level-english-language/

Same would apply as above that there would be fee's involved but payment plans can be put in place.

You could look at local colleges and sixth forms and ask about taking an accelerated A-level that you can do in a year as well. Your options depend on your current circumstances and how you want to learn.

I hope this helps.

Sophie.
yes it would be possible i’m currently self teaching 2 a levels and one of them is business, go for it!
Reply 5
Original post by National Careers Service

Bear in mind:
1. Any fees quoted almost certainly don't include the exam entry fees - you'd need to expect to pay £150-£300 for this. The majoirty of online providers do not provide much - if any - help in finding a centre.
2. There are several other distance learning providers. My experience* of ICS was nearly 10 years ago and they may have improved massively but then I would definitely have put them as the worst provider by some way.

*as an exams officer dealing with many private candidates who had studied many different subjects entirely by themselves (buying the textbook and working on past papers) or with a variety of distance learning providers
Original post by Compost
Bear in mind:
1. Any fees quoted almost certainly don't include the exam entry fees - you'd need to expect to pay £150-£300 for this. The majoirty of online providers do not provide much - if any - help in finding a centre.
2. There are several other distance learning providers. My experience* of ICS was nearly 10 years ago and they may have improved massively but then I would definitely have put them as the worst provider by some way.

*as an exams officer dealing with many private candidates who had studied many different subjects entirely by themselves (buying the textbook and working on past papers) or with a variety of distance learning providers

Do you know if the price is 150-300 per exam paper or for the full a level please?
Reply 7
Original post by Pany5689
Do you know if the price is 150-300 per exam paper or for the full a level please?

Per A level. The exam centre has to pay the exam board the entry fee (£90-200, with most in the £90-120 bracket) but then they will add on their own charge for admin, invigilation etc. This can vary massively from centre to centre so it pays to shop around.
yes it would be possible i’m currently self teaching 2 a levels and one of them is business, go for it!

What's the other subject? Also how are you doing it please?
Original post by Compost
Bear in mind:

Do you have any other providers you would recommend then?
Original post by Hiro2468
What's the other subject? Also how are you doing it please?

Psychology and I went on to the exam board that I want to sit with then looked at the specification and wrote them down then I bought the textbooks needed as they have all of the info needed in them and I just go through the spec with my textbook and write the content down, I do past papers and then mark it to see where I lost marks, I watch youtube videos to explain content I don't understand that well, I set myself a mini task at the end of my revision (usually just a few questions), I make flashcards for key points, I will write out essays just to get the feel of it, then for parts where even youtube can't make me understand I have a private tutor (just once a week)
Original post by mdowdall
Do you have any other providers you would recommend then?

One of my friends is with open study college and he really likes it and finds it just as helpful as if he was in an actual college, oxford learning college is apparently meant to be good but personally I do not think it is worth its price
Psychology and I went on to the exam board that I want to sit with then looked at the specification and wrote them down then I bought the textbooks needed as they have all of the info needed in them and I just go through the spec with my textbook and write the content down, I do past papers and then mark it to see where I lost marks, I watch youtube videos to explain content I don't understand that well, I set myself a mini task at the end of my revision (usually just a few questions), I make flashcards for key points, I will write out essays just to get the feel of it, then for parts where even youtube can't make me understand I have a private tutor (just once a week)

Thanks! That sounds very organised!

Quick Reply

Latest