The Student Room Group
If you're resiitting with a low ucat you will struggle. Dud you get any interviews last year?
Look at Bristol. http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2020/dentistry/bds-dentistry/

Less emphasis on UCAT than most - weightings are GCSE 15%, A-Level 15%, Personal Statement 35%, UCAT 35% - and they are okay about resits, and this doesnt disadvantage you.
Reply 3
Original post by RedHelenB
If you're resiitting with a low ucat you will struggle. Dud you get any interviews last year?

I actually applied for medicine last year and got 615 on my ucat but did get interviews for all of my unis which were Leeds, Liverpool, Lancaster and Plymouth
Hi everyone

I am on a gap year and really want to do dentistry. however i have received a very low ucat of 2160(540) and band 1 SJT. Please can somebody advise me on which universities to apply to as I am so passionate about dentistry.
I have completed 1 week dentistry, 1 week GP, 1 week pharmacy work ex and 1 yr care home, 1 yr hospital volunteering.

Alevels- A*AA
Gcses- 3As (sciences) 7Bs

I was thinking Manchester and dundee but other than that I have no idea.
Reply 5
Original post by annonnn7633828
Hi everyone

I am on a gap year and really want to do dentistry. however i have received a very low ucat of 2160(540) and band 1 SJT. Please can somebody advise me on which universities to apply to as I am so passionate about dentistry.
I have completed 1 week dentistry, 1 week GP, 1 week pharmacy work ex and 1 yr care home, 1 yr hospital volunteering.

Alevels- A*AA
Gcses- 3As (sciences) 7Bs

I was thinking Manchester and dundee but other than that I have no idea.

Hey, I've heard that Liverpool aren't that harsh on ucat as a friend received an interview with a score in the low 500s. Also, check out Plymouth as well !
Original post by Aliahk
Hey, I've heard that Liverpool aren't that harsh on ucat as a friend received an interview with a score in the low 500s. Also, check out Plymouth as well !

iknow i really want to apply there however i dont have 5As that they require, only 3 at gcses so they wouldnt consider my application :frown:
Original post by Aliahk

do you know where else she might've applied and whether she got any other interviews (and offers if any) for dentistry? I'm in a similar situation (I have a low UCAT but good grades- I'm also not resitting).
Reply 8
Original post by anonymous478
do you know where else she might've applied and whether she got any other interviews (and offers if any) for dentistry? I'm in a similar situation (I have a low UCAT but good grades- I'm also not resitting).

no I don't sorry but I think she only got an interview from Liverpool but is now doing a different course
Reply 9
Which are you thinking to apply to?
Reply 10
Just did my UCAT today...
I got a score of 2310 and Band 2 in Situational judgement...
At GCSES i got 3 A* 5A and 2B

I wanted to apply for dentistry and i got work experience and already wrote my personal statement and A level predictions are AAA.
WHAT DO I NOW? DO I STILL APPLY?
Please i need advice now.
e.g what unis a list please.
Original post by enya83
Just did my UCAT today...
I got a score of 2310 and Band 2 in Situational judgement...
At GCSES i got 3 A* 5A and 2B

I wanted to apply for dentistry and i got work experience and already wrote my personal statement and A level predictions are AAA.
WHAT DO I NOW? DO I STILL APPLY?
Please i need advice now.
e.g what unis a list please.

I got the same score and Band 3. I've been researching for about a month now so I kind of know what places still consider low ucat scorers. Plymouth consider low scorers (ik a girl who got an interview&offer last yr with a 550 score). Also look into places that look at the application holistically e.g Manc (you have B2 in SJT which they also like). Also I've heard Liverpool interview some low ucat scorers. Bristol is 35% ucat, 35% personal statement and 15% gcses and 15% predictions. I would advise Cardiff but I think they like all A*'s at GCSE. Also maybe think of doing BMAT for Leeds? Anyways I'm thinking of applying to Cardiff (I got seven 9's, one 8 and one A* at GCSE so I think that fits what they are looking for), Leeds (doing BMAT), maybe Plymouth (supposedly safer option but I don't really want to go there because it's kinda far from me), and idk where to apply for my 4th so I've been researching and emailing uni's. But for my 4th I'm considering Liverpool/Bristol/Manc. Idk whether to just apply for 2 of these for my 4th choice and instead of Plymouth. Anyways I hope this helps, feel free to ask me anymore question's, I felt super crappy after my UCAT so if you're worried then trust me.. Ik how you are feeling :/
Original post by Aliahk
no I don't sorry but I think she only got an interview from Liverpool but is now doing a different course

ohhh okay, thanks anyways. I got a score of 577 btw and B3 for SJT, just checking if u know any ppl with similar ucat scores to mine (ik u said ur friend was in low 500's but I thought I may as well ask about if u know anyone with a lowish - below 600 -ucat score who still maybe got interviews)
Reply 13
I got the same score and Band 3. I've been researching for about a month now so I kind of know what places still consider low ucat scorers. Plymouth consider low scorers (ik a girl who got an interview&offer last yr with a 550 score). Also look into places that look at the application holistically e.g Manc (you have B2 in SJT which they also like). Also I've heard Liverpool interview some low ucat scorers. Bristol is 35% ucat, 35% personal statement and 15% gcses and 15% predictions. I would advise Cardiff but I think they like all A*'s at GCSE. Also maybe think of doing BMAT for Leeds? Anyways I'm thinking of applying to Cardiff (I got seven 9's, one 8 and one A* at GCSE so I think that fits what they are looking for), Leeds (doing BMAT), maybe Plymouth (supposedly safer option but I don't really want to go there because it's kinda far from me), and idk where to apply for my 4th so I've been researching and emailing uni's. But for my 4th I'm considering Liverpool/Bristol/Manc. Idk whether to just apply for 2 of these for my 4th choice and instead of Plymouth. Anyways I hope this helps, feel free to ask me anymore question's, I felt super crappy after my UCAT so if you're worried then trust me.. Ik how you are feeling :/

Thats such a relief to hear I'm not the only one. i know it sucks and changed my universites around completely now.
ive got cardiff, bristol, plymouth and birmingham so far,
im thinking i should take your advice and put manchester on there but i dont know what one i should switch it for. any help there,
Original post by enya83
Thats such a relief to hear I'm not the only one. i know it sucks and changed my universites around completely now.
ive got cardiff, bristol, plymouth and birmingham so far,
im thinking i should take your advice and put manchester on there but i dont know what one i should switch it for. any help there,

I'd watch out for Birmingham and think about swapping it for manc. I think they weight it 70% academics and 30% UCAT, which seems to be a lower weighting than most, HOWEVER they also say they won't consider applicants with their scores in the bottom quartile (25%) of THEIR APPLICANTS. After the interim stats on ucat came out, we are currently in the 2nd decile I think (between the bottom 10-20%). I've heard that this stat changes when everyone has completed their UCAT and the results are supposed to come out oct 7th, but I still reckon we will be kinda low. Like I looked into bham bcuz I thought it could be a possibility due to it's apparently low weighting, but they literally say they won't take your application further if it's in this bottom quartile. And like we can assume that compared to the rest of the applicants, we will probs be in their bottom 25%. Idk if I'm explaining this well lol, but it baso means that even if you were above this 25% mark (e.g 30%) compared to everyone as a whole, you might not still be above this bottom 25% of their applicants? (at least that's what I understood from the info on their website). And also the minimum grade requirements for bham are A* AA, so I mean I don't actually know if they look at predictions (u can find this on their website probs- I've just forgotten what they said tbh) but if they do they might reject ppl whose predictions are below this minimum entry requirement? I'm not trying to fully put you off bham if you really want to go there, but I'd watch out cuz they kinda still do have a cut off whereas cardiff and Bristol don't and If Plymouth has one, it's really low anyways. But defo apply and give it a go if you wan't to go there, like I'm probs gonna do that for Manc bcuz I wanted to go there before my UCAT and I'm hoping that I'll be able to get an interview based off their holistic assessment and any potential they might see in my academic grades and ps. But honestly, I'm in the same position as you tbh, and I'm just giving you my ops and advice so you can make best choice for urself using as much info as possible. Good Luck with everything, ik how disheartening a low ucat is but honestly focus on getting the grades in the end bcuz without them it doesn't even matter if you got any offers.
Reply 15
I'd watch out for Birmingham and think about swapping it for manc. I think they weight it 70% academics and 30% UCAT, which seems to be a lower weighting than most, HOWEVER they also say they won't consider applicants with their scores in the bottom quartile (25%) of THEIR APPLICANTS. After the interim stats on ucat came out, we are currently in the 2nd decile I think (between the bottom 10-20%). I've heard that this stat changes when everyone has completed their UCAT and the results are supposed to come out oct 7th, but I still reckon we will be kinda low. Like I looked into bham bcuz I thought it could be a possibility due to it's apparently low weighting, but they literally say they won't take your application further if it's in this bottom quartile. And like we can assume that compared to the rest of the applicants, we will probs be in their bottom 25%. Idk if I'm explaining this well lol, but it baso means that even if you were above this 25% mark (e.g 30%) compared to everyone as a whole, you might not still be above this bottom 25% of their applicants? (at least that's what I understood from the info on their website). And also the minimum grade requirements for bham are A* AA, so I mean I don't actually know if they look at predictions (u can find this on their website probs- I've just forgotten what they said tbh) but if they do they might reject ppl whose predictions are below this minimum entry requirement? I'm not trying to fully put you off bham if you really want to go there, but I'd watch out cuz they kinda still do have a cut off whereas cardiff and Bristol don't and If Plymouth has one, it's really low anyways. But defo apply and give it a go if you wan't to go there, like I'm probs gonna do that for Manc bcuz I wanted to go there before my UCAT and I'm hoping that I'll be able to get an interview based off their holistic assessment and any potential they might see in my academic grades and ps. But honestly, I'm in the same position as you tbh, and I'm just giving you my ops and advice so you can make best choice for urself using as much info as possible. Good Luck with everything, ik how disheartening a low ucat is but honestly focus on getting the grades in the end bcuz without them it doesn't even matter if you got any offers.

Thank you once again, you have given me the best advice ever. I will take everything you said into consideration when making my decision on what uni i will pick. I wish you the best of luck too. btw when do we find out about offers and interviews?
Original post by enya83
Thank you once again, you have given me the best advice ever. I will take everything you said into consideration when making my decision on what uni i will pick. I wish you the best of luck too. btw when do we find out about offers and interviews?

no problem, glad I could help a bit. and idk I think it completely varies, some probably get interview offers in November, whereas some might get them in jan. and about offers I think they can be as late as May? but tbh once you apply just try forget about it and hope for the best. and focus on ur A levels after as well
Reply 17
ohhh okay, thanks anyways. I got a score of 577 btw and B3 for SJT, just checking if u know any ppl with similar ucat scores to mine (ik u said ur friend was in low 500's but I thought I may as well ask about if u know anyone with a lowish - below 600 -ucat score who still maybe got interviews)

No I don't sorry, most people got at least the average or above. And those that got low 600s/ high 500s also applied for BMAT for Leeds
Reply 18
Original post by enya83

Mainly December - January

Latest