The Student Room Group

Suspending Parliament was unlawful, court rules

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fallen_acorns
i think hes bluffing.. and will extend eventually. then use it as the basis for his election campaign.

i cant see him resigning, and the other parties wont get rid of him.. only chance for me that he wont be the leader by the next election is if.there is a mutiny within his own party.. possibly gove led.

Oh, interesting. If Gove causes a mutiny, do you think Gove would survive the fallout? Gove is known as a traitor because of 2016.
Abuses of power should always be called out. Boris should do the right thing and resign.
Original post by Napp
By any chance is this due to your extreme brexit views and his chub on for trying to carry them out?
Also, why did you decide to emphasis the fact hes the PM? (by default, not exactly a real one i hasten to add)

I think we should not get too assertive about the Prime Minister. He is trying to follow the will of the people.
Lady aka Queen Hale :congrats:

"It is impossible for us to conclude on the evidence... that there was any reason - let alone a good reason - to advise Her Majesty to prorogue Parliament for five weeks."
Good.

This is not a Remainer vs Leave issue. This is about whether or not the executive should be able to avoid the scrutiny of Parliament. Anyone who believes in the British democratic system should support this decision.

Although we’ll get the predictable headlines of traitor judges etc. in the pro-Brexit press.
In for the Brexiteer tears

Maybe BJ can appeal this UKSC judgment to the CJEU? :cool:
Reply 26
I don't think Boris has any choice but to go now.

Justices Lady Hale and Lord Reed write in paragraph 61 of the judgement document: "It is impossible for us to conclude on the evidence... that there was any reason - let alone a good reason - to advise Her Majesty to prorogue Parliament for five weeks."

Just damn.
Reply 27
Unanimous decision by all 11 judges.
Not a good start Boris!
Reply 29
Original post by Wired_1800
Oh, interesting. If Gove causes a mutiny, do you think Gove would survive the fallout? Gove is known as a traitor because of 2016.

Et tu Brute is the only phrase that springs to mind for that loathsome little creature.
I think we should not get too assertive about the Prime Minister. He is trying to follow the will of the people.

Assertive in what way?
I really wish you lot would stop saying the will of the people. That quite clearly implies everyone which is manifestly a lie. 52% is some of the people and only what 30 odd percent of the electorate if we decide to ignore the population writ large.
Say it truthfully it is the will of some people not all of them.
Reply 30
Original post by Deyesy
Unanimous decision by all 11 judges.

A nice kick on the teeth for his regime. Pity its metaphorical as opposed to literal though.
Reply 31
Original post by Napp
A nice kick on the teeth for his regime. Pity its metaphorical as opposed to literal though.

I mean I would never support violence but I'm behind the sentiment
Reply 32
Original post by Palmyra
In for the Brexiteer tears

Maybe BJ can appeal this UKSC judgment to the CJEU? :cool:

Boris Johnson, the only time BJ can be viewed as a negative.
Reply 33
Original post by Deyesy
I mean I would never support violence but I'm behind the sentiment

Oh of course it would be frightful if someone actually knocked out their teeth but at the same time worse things could befall the nation...
It would seem borris is a dead man walking now. I think the courts may of just opened a huge can of worms. I'm getting more and more concerned regarding the future of our country by the day, i failing to see how this can end well, in reality.
(edited 4 years ago)
"He fought the law and law won, he fought the law and the law won."

I think there is a danger he could be given martyr like status, which would be exceptionally damaging to people from our political train of thought.

As I said above, it's getting more and more difficult to see a positive ending to this.
Original post by Napp
Et tu Brute is the only phrase that springs to mind for that loathsome little creature.

Assertive in what way?
I really wish you lot would stop saying the will of the people. That quite clearly implies everyone which is manifestly a lie. 52% is some of the people and only what 30 odd percent of the electorate if we decide to ignore the population writ large.
Say it truthfully it is the will of some people not all of them.

When you get a majority, you say that you got the “will of the people”. When Parties are voted in, they say that they have the mandate from the people. So I am consistent with my comments on PM Johnson having the will of the people.
Original post by Burton Bridge
I think there is a danger he could be given martyr like status, which would be exceptionally damaging to people from our political train of thought.

As I said above, it's getting more and more difficult to see a positive ending to this.

I agree with you. I am concerned that things could go over the top.
When you get a majority, you say that you got the “will of the people”. When Parties are voted in, they say that they have the mandate from the people. So I am consistent with my comments on PM Johnson having the will of the people.

Correct and It's the will of the people that's likely to fix him to a pedestal of which there is no potential way down while brexit is uncompleted.

I'm even starting to support him myself, which a a great worry, if I'm honest

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending