The Student Room Group

Exeter A100 2020 Entry

Welcome to the University of Exeter A100 2020 Entry Discussion.

For general information click: https://medicine.exeter.ac.uk/study/ug/medicine/

For entry requirements click: http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/medicine/medicine/#Entry-requirements

Exeter A100 2020 Offer Holders thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6335132

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi I’m looking at Exeter and will definitely apply there as I went on a summer school and it was really great and the course is so interesting in terms of structure.
Stats: GCSEs: 10 grade 9s
A level predictions: 3a*s (bio,chem,maths)
UCAT: 715 average band 3
Work experience: one week in a neurosurgical ward, one week as a social volunteer at a charity for disabled people to give them respite and an enjoyable holiday, currently 5 months volunteering at a care home
Extracurricular: grade 6 piano, copper in c3l6, silver in intermediate biology Olympiad, doing silver dofe,

I would be applying via Exeter scholars which is good as it means I am considered a contextual application which can only help
Reply 2
if i have 3A* prediction but only 645 ucat is it worth me applying?
Original post by yosushi!
if i have 3A* prediction but only 645 ucat is it worth me applying?

Last year you would have been fine but the two years before you would have needed 667
I think @GANFYD has speculated in the megathread that a cut point may have to be used although can’t remember where she thought that would be I.e. 2a*a or 3a* and also remember it is just speculation. To a large extent it depends on the applicant pool which no one can tell you before the applications have been submitted but if you like Exeter it is probably worth a punt especially if you have other options that also fit your stats which would obviously increase your chances of getting interviews as a whole if one didn’t work out (I’m not necessarily saying it would be Exeter that wouldn’t work though)
Reply 4
Original post by DGeorge13
Last year you would have been fine but the two years before you would have needed 667
I think @GANFYD has speculated in the megathread that a cut point may have to be used although can’t remember where she thought that would be I.e. 2a*a or 3a* and also remember it is just speculation. To a large extent it depends on the applicant pool which no one can tell you before the applications have been submitted but if you like Exeter it is probably worth a punt especially if you have other options that also fit your stats which would obviously increase your chances of getting interviews as a whole if one didn’t work out (I’m not necessarily saying it would be Exeter that wouldn’t work though)

Purely guesswork, but my gut feeling is there will be a lowish UCAT cut off in the A*A*A predicted tier
Original post by GANFYD
Purely guesswork, but my gut feeling is there will be a lowish UCAT cut off in the A*A*A predicted tier

Interesting to see though?
Reply 6
Interesting to see though?

Part of the reason I am still here....... (and the fact #3 wants to go through all this next year - I am giving up after that!)
Original post by GANFYD
Part of the reason I am still here....... (and the fact #3 wants to go through all this next year - I am giving up after that!)

Will you then have 3 medical students in your family? They do say it is quite a hereditary career.
Reply 8
Will you then have 3 medical students in your family? They do say it is quite a hereditary career.

It seems that way! Though one dropped out to go into finance
Reply 9
Original post by GANFYD

My daughter had her heart set on Exeter but thinks that she doesn?t stand a chance since achieved A-Levels are so highly valued and her UCAT is not the highest;
predicted A*A*A
4 9s 4 8s and a 7 (eng Lang)
UCAT 2680
Is she right to discount Exeter? Your post above Ganfyd gives me hope?!?!
(She?s also looking at Liverpool Southampton and Birmingham)
Reply 10
thank you
Reply 11
When are normally the Exeter interviews
Original post by wyann

I think December and January but should be published closer to the time
Reply 13
Original post by wyann

Again, look through last year's thread and that will give you some idea of dates then
Original post by wyann

“All shortlisted applicants will be invited for interview between December and March.” From the website under admissions
Reply 15
Hi, how does Exeter select candidates for interview? Do they place a lot of emphasis on GCSES/ A level predictions? I have a UCAT score of 2890
Reply 16
Original post by RA:)
Hi, how does Exeter select candidates for interview? Do they place a lot of emphasis on GCSES/ A level predictions? I have a UCAT score of 2890

All the details are on their website
Original post by GANFYD
All the details are on their website

I don’t want to be annoying because you probably get loads of questions but how does contextual data for Exeter work? I can’t find anything on how they use things like free school meals/criteria for post codes. Just to give some context i get free school meals, bursary, both my sixth form and secondary school are underperforming and I live in an area with low access to higher education (polar 2). Do you think I would qualify for a contextual offer and would I be moved to tier one?
Original post by Unknown829919228
I don’t want to be annoying because you probably get loads of questions but how does contextual data for Exeter work? I can’t find anything on how they use things like free school meals/criteria for post codes. Just to give some context i get free school meals, bursary, both my sixth form and secondary school are underperforming and I live in an area with low access to higher education (polar 2). Do you think I would qualify for a contextual offer and would I be moved to tier one?

Unfortunately we don’t know as whilst I would guess you would they don’t explicitly state how they assess contextual
Reply 19
Original post by Unknown829919228

The only info I have ever been able to find suggests that Exeter only consider WP applicants on specific schemes or from their feeder chools, as per here
https://www.exeter.ac.uk/media/universityofexeter/undergraduatewebsite/documents/BMBS_Detailed_Admissions_Process_2019_entry_FINAL.pdf

Give them a ring and ask if they take other things into consideration, but mostly they say if they do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending