The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by jungshook
Hi,

Thank you so much for your helpful answer. Yes, you are absolutely right. Graduate medicine is extremely competitive and what I'm doing is very risky if I don't get accepted.

I really don't want to come off as self absorbed, but I believe I will be able to do it with the right mindset and hard work. I was initially predicted AAA at AS and my practice UCAT went well. I'm taking this chance like my last shot, if this doesn't work then I'd have to let it go. The degree that I'm studying. Medical Science, is very interesting on it's own so I wouldn't mind completing that and perhaps doing medicine abroad if I'm not successful for graduate medicine in the UK. I was told the GMC may or may not accept my quals from Europe and it might involve retaking all of my 5 yearly exams - again that's something I need to look into.

As for retaking A Levels, I did consider this but my school refuse to take me in to resit, since they don't accept students who have already sat their exams - for me this would be the art exam. I feel really doubtful doing everything on my own and since I'm from a WAMS area, I don't have many resources at hand. I wasn't in for most of year 13 so I hardly have any sound knowledge for A2. For that, I would need a teacher. Tutoring, though rare, costs a fortune. This might probably sound not as relevant in the context of this situation but my family also don't want me to resit. The school have convinced them that this university place is my best bet into medicine and they want me to go for it. On top of that, I don't have any part time job, due to my restrictions from family, to earn and save up so I could pay for all the administration fees I would have to pay for to take my A Level exams. It would all be on my parents, who don't seem willing to pay for the retake.

I'm sorry if I bored you with these details but I just wanted you to know the context:smile: I did consider all of my options and I won't lie I still wake up in the mornings wondering if what I'm doing is the right thing or not given the circumstance. I guess I'll have to go with whatever is being given to me, but work hard towards it if that makes sense.

I'm sorry for putting this all on this thread everyone.

Have you spoken to other schools or Colleges about the possibility of re-sitting there?
Original post by GANFYD
Have you spoken to other schools or Colleges about the possibility of re-sitting there?

I've spoken around but they say they are booked for the year, and taking someone in for year 12 whose practically 18 already isn't possible. I got this answer from multiple places just slightly variated. I looked at colleges who do Access courses for medicine but again, funding issues etc.
Reply 42
Original post by jungshook
Yes, this was very helpful thank you for your answer!

I've been told the competition is immense especially securing an interview so I guess it's all or nothing. My question is, if I apply through UCAS would I have to apply for 4 other places as well or would it just have to be ARU? And do you guys have a cut off point average for UCAT so far, perhaps a rough range of what you've accepted over the two years you have opened? I'm guessing it's probably relative every year, but even so.

And is it true that I would have to get over 75% for ALL modules? Or is it an average over the whole year?

As for funding, you answered that for me haha. I'll get through to them and ask how it works.

Thanks, again.

Cut off was 620 for 2018 entry and 610 for 2019
Hey guys,

UCAT: 2610 // band 2
GCSE: 6A* 1A 1B 1C (A* in English Lang / maths)
A-levels predicted: 3A* (EPQ but no predicted grade)

Do I have a chance of getting an interview at ARU?

Also do they make offers based purely on interview score or do they take UCAT into consideration?
Reply 44
Original post by Muez
Hey guys,

UCAT: 2610 // band 2
GCSE: 6A* 1A 1B 1C (A* in English Lang / maths)
A-levels predicted: 3A* (EPQ but no predicted grade)

Do I have a chance of getting an interview at ARU?

Also do they make offers based purely on interview score or do they take UCAT into consideration?

Yes, past cut offs posted imediately above your post
They select purely based on interview performance
Worth applying with a 630 avg UKCAT? As a graduate applicant btw
Reply 46
My current stats are

A levels: BBC (resitting the C subject with predicted A + A in an new additional subject)

GCSE: 9,8,8,A*,A, A, A, A, B, C

UCAT : 620 Band 2

I'm unsure if my UCAT will be enough to get an interview and if the ARU even accepted resits. Any answers would be greatly appreciated!
How many graduates (roughly speaking) apply to ARU for medicine? I'm a graduate and my ucat score is 667.5 but im worried i may not get an interview as i read above that there is a quota for graduates (theyre looking to recruit only 5 graduate students). I've met the other academic requirements and am predicted a first.
Original post by swiftab97
How many graduates (roughly speaking) apply to ARU for medicine? I'm a graduate and my ucat score is 667.5 but im worried i may not get an interview as i read above that there is a quota for graduates (theyre looking to recruit only 5 graduate students). I've met the other academic requirements and am predicted a first.

Only five?????? I am going to open day so let's see
Original post by Momoalas93
Only five?????? I am going to open day so let's see

sorry i meant 15, not 5
sorry i meant 15, not 5

Where did you hear this?
Where did you hear this?

the official rep on this very thread said so about 2 months ago, you can find the comment earlier in this thread.
Is it worth applying here with ucat score of 2450?
Reply 53

I applied as a graduate last year and have a deferred entry place for 2020 start. It was roughly 17 places for graduates and access courses. I expect it’ll be roughly the same this year. 667.5 should get you an interview mine was much lower.
Original post by MEDIK
I applied as a graduate last year and have a deferred entry place for 2020 start. It was roughly 17 places for graduates and access courses. I expect it’ll be roughly the same this year. 667.5 should get you an interview mine was much lower.

How about 630?
Reply 55
Original post by hotchoco1293
Is it worth applying here with ucat score of 2450?

Cut offs were 610 last year and 620 the year before
Original post by GANFYD
Cut offs were 610 last year and 620 the year before

Assume that's undergraduates? And not graduates?
Reply 57
Assume that's undergraduates? And not graduates?

Yes
So I'm assuming the cut off is higher for graduates? But I thought it was just a universal cut off and that ARU doesn't treat direct school leavers differently to a graduate?
Reply 59
Original post by hotchoco1293
So I'm assuming the cut off is higher for graduates? But I thought it was just a universal cut off and that ARU doesn't treat direct school leavers differently to a graduate?

No idea about grads, sorry

Latest

Trending

Trending