The Student Room Group

A levels help and stress

I've just started at my sixth form 4th week this week, I'm doing maths business and law
I got at Gcse
Maths 6
english 7
science 5/5
and all my others pathways were ranging from 4-6 . no fails. I didn't revise for my GCSEs one bit I didn't really care to be honest as I felt I could do without. A levels and college life has been a big shock to my system, I'm not saying it's difficult e.g. the work however what I've heard is Law OCR is hard and there's tons of workload I feel I'll struggle, maths wow I've heard nothing but horror, and business is an easy A level in my eyes its something that clicks with me anyway. the free periods we have aren't good for me I just don't know what to do, I go home as I don't live far however it's like being a yoyo sometimes , will I get used to it? are these courses as bad as people make it out? will I cope, it's really stressing me out at the minute for the past 4 weeks in fact.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hasan167
I've just started at my sixth form 4th week this week, I'm doing maths business and law
I got at Gcse
Maths 6
english 7
science 5/5
and all my others pathways were ranging from 4-6 . no fails. I didn't revise for my GCSEs one bit I didn't really care to be honest as I felt I could do without. A levels and college life has been a big shock to my system, I'm not saying it's difficult e.g. the work however what I've heard is Law OCR is hard and there's tons of workload I feel I'll struggle, maths wow I've heard nothing but horror, and business is an easy A level in my eyes its something that clicks with me anyway. the free periods we have aren't good for me I just don't know what to do, I go home as I don't live far however it's like being a yoyo sometimes , will I get used to it? are these courses as bad as people make it out? will I cope, it's really stressing me out at the minute for the past 4 weeks in fact.

Hey, I'm in the same boat as you (just started 3 weeks ago) and on the stress front, my advice would be to find a productive style of work for your free periods. I always get really frustrated and stressed with myself when I feel I'm not making progress, so to combat this I do something I know will make me feel like I've done some good work. E.g Further maths practice questions or physics flash cards.

You'll get into the routine eventually. Don't forget you've got two years to adapt to the courses and workload - it's only week 4!

Good luck with everything and hope this helped!
Reply 2
Original post by Allons y Alonso
Hey, I'm in the same boat as you (just started 3 weeks ago) and on the stress front, my advice would be to find a productive style of work for your free periods. I always get really frustrated and stressed with myself when I feel I'm not making progress, so to combat this I do something I know will make me feel like I've done some good work. E.g Further maths practice questions or physics flash cards.

You'll get into the routine eventually. Don't forget you've got two years to adapt to the courses and workload - it's only week 4!

are you doing maths? I'm not the revision type of I'm honest, what grade would I get with the bare minimum of classwork 100% homework 100% revision when exams come up
Reply 3

and the frees! revision in your first few week what am I supposed to revise lol😂
and the frees! revision in your first few week what am I supposed to revise lol😂

Okay fair enough on the revision front xD. When I say revision, I mean re-writing class notes, doing practice questions (especially for maths - which I am doing btw), or reading ahead (maybe also taking notes - especially for heavy subjects like law).

In terms of only doing class and home-work, I would strongly discourage doing that :biggrin:. The genral advice is 1 hour in school, one hour out - that's what I do anyways xD.
Reply 5
Okay fair enough on the revision front xD. When I say revision, I mean re-writing class notes, doing practice questions (especially for maths - which I am doing btw), or reading ahead (maybe also taking notes - especially for heavy subjects like law).

In terms of only doing class and home-work, I would strongly discourage doing that :biggrin:. The genral advice is 1 hour in school, one hour out - that's what I do anyways xD.

what did you get at gcse? and what are u expecting to get from maths
what did you get at gcse? and what are u expecting to get from maths

9 at GCSE, hopefully A* at A-level but it's still early days xD
Reply 7
9 at GCSE, hopefully A* at A-level but it's still early days xD

did u try hard? I didn't and got a 6 went in the exam blind lol
did u try hard? I didn't and got a 6 went in the exam blind lol

I tried immensely hard xD - I'm not naturally very good at maths.
Reply 9
I tried immensely hard xD - I'm not naturally very good at maths.

would you say I am? also can I get a C or B? without loads of revision only revising before exams like a few days,
If u do all your homework and maybe take an hour out for each subject a week to go over things u don’t understand or just consolidate and revise u will be fine. It’s not easy starting sixth form but if u will stay on top of your work it will make you a lot more comfortable
Reply 11
Original post by Cloudy26
If u do all your homework and maybe take an hour out for each subject a week to go over things u don’t understand or just consolidate and revise u will be fine. It’s not easy starting sixth form but if u will stay on top of your work it will make you a lot more comfortable

I get you so homework and pay attention in lesson I should be getting a B or C I'm happy with those grades I don't want to be astudy freak tbh
Reply 12
anybody else got anything for me ?
I took maths as well even though I got an A* and I'm finding it incredibly hard. Over the course of y11 and y10 I never got an A* and the highest was a low A, so that's probably why I'm struggling so much
Reply 14
Original post by mpaprika
I took maths as well even though I got an A* and I'm finding it incredibly hard. Over the course of y11 and y10 I never got an A* and the highest was a low A, so that's probably why I'm struggling so much

so u got a 7 I got a 6 without try
Reply 15
help
so u got a 7 I got a 6 without try

no, I got an A*. The highest you can get is an A* because I do wjec which still uses the A*-U grades
Reply 17
Original post by mpaprika
no, I got an A*. The highest you can get is an A* because I do wjec which still uses the A*-U grades

wow an a* did u try hard?
Reply 18
anyone else offer me some advice please
Reply 19
had my maths lesson today again, I kept up quite well with those that have grade 8/9s but hey it's probably gonna get harder

Quick Reply

Latest