The Student Room Group

Why is my attitude to alcohol so different than other students

Other students basically drink only to get drunk, so the cheapest alcohol possible and even pre-drinking before going to clubs! It was quite a shock to me in my first semester, my parents taught me that being drunk is disrespectful to your body and that alcohol should be treated with respect and caution.

I enjoy quality alcohol of good standard, most wine bottles I buy cost over £20 and none are cheaper than £15. I enjoy a glass or two in the evening.

Social problems ensue and different worlds of culture collide!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Because students don't usually have a lot of money so enjoying a nice glass of wine or a nice cocktail seems pointless as it's expensive and doesn't get you drunk.

You do you though and look down on the peasants below.
sounds like you had good parents.

I agree with the sentiment, and despite me trying my best to fit in when I was younger - these days I'm in a similar boat to you, I like a drink of something good, something that I can enjoy drinking.. not just something I drink for the sake of its effect.

That being said, I couldn't do it as a student! I lived off £30 a week as a student, so one of your bottles of wine would have been my food budget for the week gone!

Thankfully now I can afford more, and its nice to be able to enjoy good alcohol.
Original post by C.Goodyear
Other students basically drink only to get drunk, so the cheapest alcohol possible and even pre-drinking before going to clubs! It was quite a shock to me in my first semester, my parents taught me that being drunk is disrespectful to your body and that alcohol should be treated with respect and caution.

I enjoy quality alcohol of good standard, most wine bottles I buy cost over £20 and none are cheaper than £15. I enjoy a glass or two in the evening.

I sort of see where you're coming from, I hate the "Drink to get drunk" trend, I don't mind drinking but never to the extent that I am unable to comprehend what is going on. But spending that amount on wine in one go is unnecessary, try to shop around, there are millions of cheaper options.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
most wine bottles I buy cost over £20 and none are cheaper than £15.

Then you're not buying sensibly! You can get great quality for <£10...

I appreciate that's not the point you were making, and so what, different people have different tastes?
OP at people drinking cheap alcohol

Reply 6
Original post by xDron3
Because students don't usually have a lot of money so enjoying a nice glass of wine or a nice cocktail seems pointless as it's expensive and doesn't get you drunk.

You do you though and look down on the peasants below.

If you want to speak about a waste a money then what's the point if you can't even remember it the morning after? It's not even about money it is about the attitudes to alcohol
To be fair, most of the students I knew at uni would say that a bottle of £20 wine/spirits was far to expensive... but then go out and spend far more than £20 on a much larger quantity of cheap alcohol on a night out.

In reality it was just that their goal was to get drunk, not to enjoy the alcohol, and they can't afford to get drunk on £20 wine, rather than they cant afford to spend £20 on a nights alcohol consumption.
Other students basically drink only to get drunk,

I agree, if they just want to get high then alcohol probably isn't the drug for them, much better and cheaper drugs out there for that, but the law discourages that and incourages the use of alcohol so you can't really blame them.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
If you want to speak about a waste a money then what's the point if you can't even remember it the morning after? It's not even about money it is about the attitudes to alcohol

I don't know I dont fit into the student bracket, I would just assume students prefer the beer to serve a purpose of getting drunk
Original post by Drewski
Then you're not buying sensibly! You can get great quality for <£10...

I appreciate that's not the point you were making, and so what, different people have different tastes?

Depends on entirely on your taste. I can drink ones under £10 but they are not special
Reply 11
I've always been the same but min is because by the tie I got to university at 23/24, I'd had a decade of developing my palate.

20 quid bottles haha, try 120!

But I wasn't drinking that stuff when I was at university. At least not by the bottle

Because students are different and you appear to be an alcohol snob. You keep on with your expensive alcohol and let others have a good time going out for fun and doing their own thing. Some people dont drink at all. Imagine that.
Original post by gjd800
I've always been the same but min is because by the tie I got to university at 23/24, I'd had a decade of developing my palate.

20 quid bottles haha, try 120!

But I wasn't drinking that stuff when I was at university. At least not by the bottle

Drink what you like, but really irksome when you cant live and let live. I would have thought alcohol is so freely available these days, not that many will be getting drunk for the first time. Teenage drinking is on the decline anyway.
Original post by 999tigger
Because students are different and you appear to be an alcohol snob. You keep on with your expensive alcohol and let others have a good time going out for fun and doing their own thing. Some people dont drink at all. Imagine that.

It is not about alcohol snobbery it is about the drink to get drunk mentality. Then people like you think the entire purpose of alcohol is just to get drunk.

Nothing is wrong with teenage drinking as long as it is responsible, from age 14 or 15 I would often have a glass of wine with dinner.
It is not about alcohol snobbery it is about the drink to get drunk mentality. Then people like you think the entire purpose of alcohol is just to get drunk.

Nothing is wrong with teenage drinking as long as it is responsible, from age 14 or 15 I would often have a glass of wine with dinner.

Then people like you think the entire purpose of alcohol is just to get drunk.

Seriously lol. How have you worked that out? You really missed the point and more lol you question my mentality towards alcohol?
I think people get it you are responsible. If you ever go out with other students then be sure to tell them of your views and that you often have a glass of wine for dinner and they should drink responsibly. See how that works for you.
Then people like you think the entire purpose of alcohol is just to get drunk.

Seriously lol. How have you worked that out? You really missed the point and more lol you question my mentality towards alcohol?
I think people get it you are responsible. If you ever go out with other students then be sure to tell them of your views and that you often have a glass of wine for dinner and they should drink responsibly. See how that works for you.

Students as a whole are not the nicest group of people, I mostly just hang out with foreign students rather than be around the stereotypical social life dependent on drunkenness
Students as a whole are not the nicest group of people, I mostly just hang out with foreign students rather than be around the stereotypical social life dependent on drunkenness

Great way to generalise and judge the entire non international student population. You need to be careful otherwise your friend count will be very low and people will think you vanished up your own bottom.
Am sure people will be very happy for you about your superior attitude and that you can look down on all the domestic students.
Be sure to tell them the error of their ways.
Reply 18
Drink what you like, but really irksome when you cant live and let live. I would have thought alcohol is so freely available these days, not that many will be getting drunk for the first time. Teenage drinking is on the decline anyway.

Aye, it doesn't matter unless you are out and in a round :laugh:
Original post by gjd800
Aye, it doesn't matter unless you are out and in a round :laugh:

I dont think students do rounds very well.
Btw unless I got the thread wrong then my point who cares? Have your own view and drink or dont drink, but dont be snotty nosed and telling others what they should be doing or your way is better. Soon be Jonny no mates in no time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending