The Student Room Group

Opinions on Greta thunberg

I support saving and protecting the environment, and I think she is helping people to realise that we need to do something, but I have very mixed feelings about her. She is heavily funded by the likes of George Soros etc for starters. She began getting worried about climate change age eight. I didn't even hear the term "climate change" age eight! Clearly this isn't normal and the fact that her parents have just wilfully let her run with it at such a young age seems somewhat irresponsibile. She fails to acknowledge that its mostly corporations who do the polluting, not the everyday people. Whilst climate change clearly is a very serious threat, as many people have pointed out, she gives the impression that literally the planet and human race will become extinct because of it and it will happen relatively soon, which is false. Although this obviously does prompt people to act. She seems irrational about it, and there definitely is something unsettling about her. She does not understand the huge job losses that will occur if we do everything how she does, she doesn't understand the working class. Opinions? I respect her for at least not being a hypocrite, but she is being funded by millionaires, is totally irrational, and is a reformist rather than a revolutionary.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
Original post by Ferrograd
I support saving and protecting the environment, and I think she is helping people to realise that we need to do something, but I have very mixed feelings about her. She is heavily funded by the likes of George Soros etc for starters. She began getting worried about climate change age eight. I didn't even hear the term "climate change" age eight! Clearly this isn't normal and the fact that her parents have just wilfully let her run with it at such a young age seems somewhat irresponsibile. She fails to acknowledge that its mostly corporations who do the polluting, not the everyday people. Whilst climate change clearly is a very serious threat, as many people have pointed out, she gives the impression that literally the planet and human race will become extinct because of it and it will happen relatively soon, which is false. Although this obviously does prompt people to act. She seems irrational about it, and there definitely is something unsettling about her. She does not understand the huge job losses that will occur if we do everything how she does, she doesn't understand the working class. Opinions? I respect her for at least not being a hypocrite, but she is being funded by millionaires, is totally irrational, and is a reformist rather than a revolutionary.

She's a kid.

Expecting a teenager to be fully clued up on every aspect of everyone's life and every aspect of international economics is your flaw, not hers.
(edited 4 years ago)
I think she is inciting fear in young people by using hyperbolic language about risks. Eco-anxiety is now an actual condition...
She is heavily funded by the likes of George Soros etc for starters.

You going to source that?

She began getting worried about climate change age eight. I didn't even hear the term "climate change" age eight!

My guess is you're older than her and so climate change wasn't seen as quite as big a deal when you were eight.

Whilst climate change clearly is a very serious threat, as many people have pointed out, she gives the impression that literally the planet and human race will become extinct because of it and it will happen relatively soon

Where has she said this? She usually goes off pretty mainstream science actually, for instance her submission of the IPCC report (which does not even remotely predict human extinction at all, never mind soon) as part of her Congressional testimony

She does not understand the huge job losses that will occur if we do everything how she does, she doesn't understand the working class.

She's not a politician or academic, not her job to come up with detailed plans. Plenty of people *have* come up with plans to avoid and/or mitigate job losses caused by phasing out fossil fuels (many of which are actually happening already through purely market mechanisms), such as the Green New Deal, Jay Inslee's proposals, stuff other Democratic candidates like Sanders and Warren have been talking about, etc. How to avoid economic dislocation during the energy transition has been a major part of climate action discourse.
Original post by anarchism101
You going to source that?

My guess is you're older than her and so climate change wasn't seen as quite as big a deal when you were eight.

Where has she said this? She usually goes off pretty mainstream science actually, for instance her submission of the IPCC report (which does not even remotely predict human extinction at all, never mind soon) as part of her Congressional testimony

She's not a politician or academic, not her job to come up with detailed plans. Plenty of people *have* come up with plans to avoid and/or mitigate job losses caused by phasing out fossil fuels (many of which are actually happening already through purely market mechanisms), such as the Green New Deal, Jay Inslee's proposals, stuff other Democratic candidates like Sanders and Warren have been talking about, etc. How to avoid economic dislocation during the energy transition has been a major part of climate action discourse.

No, I'm the same age as her.

She's from Sweden, which is literally one of the most liberal countries ever. The have "gender neutral" schools ffs. Can you see why its easy for me to see her as being irrational?
Original post by MajorFader
I think she is inciting fear in young people by using hyperbolic language about risks. Eco-anxiety is now an actual condition...

Yeah I'm worried too about the future of the planet, but honestly I think she's just unnecessarily worrying people, although if it gets people involved in action fair enough
She's jarring, extremly rude, and sounds like she's repeating a memorised speech written by a team rather than her own words.

She's from Sweden, which is literally one of the most liberal countries ever. The have "gender neutral" schools ffs. Can you see why its easy for me to see her as being irrational?

No. What does any of this have to do with climate activism?
No. What does any of this have to do with climate activism?

Because they just have very different attitudes on things. She would rather everyone of us stopped eating meat than for the super rich to stop flying everywhere.

So, you don't like Sweden's politics, therefore you irrationally dislike a teenager.

Real healthy...
Reply 11
Vitriol and malice against government ministers and scientsists won't save the planet. But suggesting ways to reduce carbon dioxide emissions or extract it from the air, which she barely touched upon in her panel speech yet mentioned, does.
(edited 4 years ago)
Because they just have very different attitudes on things.

Clearly not so different actually, as the climate protests started by her have spread all around the world.

She would rather everyone of us stopped eating meat than for the super rich to stop flying everywhere.

Again, where has she said this?
Original post by Deggs_14
Vitriol and malice against government ministers and scientsists won't save the planet. But suggesting ways to reduce carbon dioxide emissions or extract it from the air, which she barely touched upon in her panel speech yet mentioned, does.

You want a 16 year old kid to invent new technologies and pour money into R&D?

You're the one with the problems.
Clearly not so different actually, as the climate protests started by her have spread all around the world.

Again, where has she said this?

https://www.plantbasednews.org/news/vegan-greta-thunberg-made-parents-feel-guilty-eating-meat-dairy

She's an idiot, milk is essential to a healthy life (and meat is also still quite important).

The only real way we can stop this is to just reduce the global population.

This would be very hard to do, but if we start introducing one-child policies in overpopulated countries it could work.
Original post by Drewski
You want a 16 year old kid to invent new technologies and pour money into R&D?

You're the one with the problems.

She is just regurgitating reinformation from scientists and adding a bit of hyperbole to it and getting emotional about it.

She should start coming up with ideas. Its all very good telling us things we already know. Takes little effort. Start proposing solutions!
She is just regurgitating reinformation from scientists and adding a bit of hyperbole to it and getting emotional about it.

She should start coming up with ideas. Its all very good telling us things we already know. Takes little effort. Start proposing solutions!

You moron :rolleyes:

Yes, she's got the attention, so she's using that to push the information that actual scientists have come up with, and their - qualified - advice.

She's a kid. She has no more place putting out government policy than you do.

Then she went viral for "regurgitating" information you "already" know. She's famous now. Why weren't you so bright to do this?
Original post by Drewski
You moron :rolleyes:

Yes, she's got the attention, so she's using that to push the information that actual scientists have come up with, and their - qualified - advice.

She's a kid. She has no more place putting out government policy than you do.

Well she sure doesn't act like one.
Well she sure doesn't act like one.

Because she's not one. And she's not pretending to be one.

The fault is people like you thinking she's something she isn't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending