The Student Room Group

Stats help please!

Hey, I'm stuck on this really simple question and I just can't work out what I'm doing wrong :frown:

A dance club has these members:
Adult male: 6
Child male: 5
Adult female: 4
Child female: 10

Two members are chosen at random. Find the probability that one of these members is a female child and the other is an adult male.

I've tried 16/25, 12/125, 1/10 but none of these is right... what should I be doing?

15/100
Reply 2
Original post by alevels2021
15/100

It's not accepting that as the answer :frown:
Original post by sqrt123
Hey, I'm stuck on this really simple question and I just can't work out what I'm doing wrong :frown:

A dance club has these members:
Adult male: 6
Child male: 5
Adult female: 4
Child female: 10

Two members are chosen at random. Find the probability that one of these members is a female child and the other is an adult male.

I've tried 16/25, 12/125, 1/10 but none of these is right... what should I be doing?

1/10 is close. How did you get that?
Reply 4
Original post by RDKGames
1/10 is close. How did you get that?

(10x6)/(24x25)
Original post by sqrt123
(10x6)/(24x25)

And in words, do you know what this represents in terms of who you pick first and second?
Reply 6
Original post by RDKGames
And in words, do you know what this represents in terms of who you pick first and second?

Ohhh it's the probability of picking female child then adult male, so I need to multiply it by 2 to find female child/adult male OR adult male/female child (either order) ? Which gives 1/5 which is the right answer! Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest