The Student Room Group

Difference between A-level and BTEC which one is harder?

I'm starting to look into colleges and I'm struggling on what to pick. Do I pick A-level or a BTEC? And which one is harder also which one looks more important and worthwhile to show a job interviewer.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Laurxnbakxr
I'm starting to look into colleges and I'm struggling on what to pick. Do I pick A-level or a BTEC? And which one is harder also which one looks more important and worthwhile to show a job interviewer.

A levels are considered a bit harder and more academically demanding.
BTEC are still accepted by a large number of unis and wide range of courses but not all.
2 A levels and 1 BTEC is likely to be accepted at a large number of unis.

Watch out for things like Medicine = AAA at A level.
Engineering = They like A level Maths.
Elite unis can be more fussy.

Grades are going to matter more in the scheme of things.

If you hate exams and like coursework do BTEC after checking it gets you to the next stage.
Do A levels if the opposite. Always check entrance requirements if its a uni course.
Original post by 999tigger
A levels are considered a bit harder and more academically demanding.
BTEC are still accepted by a large number of unis and wide range of courses but not all.
2 A levels and 1 BTEC is likely to be accepted at a large number of unis.

Watch out for things like Medicine = AAA at A level.
Engineering = They like A level Maths.
Elite unis can be more fussy.

Grades are going to matter more in the scheme of things.

If you hate exams and like coursework do BTEC after checking it gets you to the next stage.
Do A levels if the opposite. Always check entrance requirements if its a uni course.

so do unis accept both qualifications then? Also what about applying for a job?

A levels are obviously harder, which will look better too. But that doesn’t mean BTECS are completely useless. For example if someone studies maths, physics and BTEC engineering, that’s very good.

1. Yes as said above.
2. Degree will matter more in most cases, but some do take level 3 into account.
Original post by zombie2233
A levels are obviously harder, which will look better too. But that doesn’t mean BTECS are completely useless. For example if someone studies maths, physics and BTEC engineering, that’s very good.

But what if you dont want to study any of those BTEC's will it be useless then?
Original post by 999tigger
1. Yes as said above.
2. Degree will matter more in most cases, but some do take level 3 into account.

Okay thnx for the help

Most universities will accept either, however, the more academically challenging subjects like Medicine and Maths at universities like Oxford and Cambridge will probably just require A Levels. I would suggest if you know what you want to do then BTECs might be best (especially if it is a vocational subject). If you aren’t too sure yet or know for sure that the universities you want to apply to don’t accept BTECs, then do A Levels. I did sixth form and then a foundation year which was a BTEC and I can honestly say A Levels were a lot harder and required far more effort to pass. At the end of the day do what is best for you.
Okay thnx for the help

Look at whats available.
Look whether you are strong at exams.
Check which courses and unis you might want to apply to.
If you are a strong candidate do A levels all things being equal.
If not BTEC may be your only option.
Do you have an idea of what you want to do at university?
But what if you dont want to study any of those BTEC's will it be useless then?

It depends on what you want to do actually. If you want to do Economics at UCL then BTEC IT for example will be useless. If you want to do IT at uni, then it won’t be useless. It just depends on what you want to do, but in general, A levels are harder and therefore look better. Before anyone says how do you know this I’ve done both A level and Btec before in the past. I would say do a levels if you ask me
Original post by wxgmak
Do you have an idea of what you want to do at university?

I want to do animal management or vetenairy nursing

then do chem, bio and maths A-Level i guess? but idk
Original post by 1st superstar
then do chem, bio and maths A-Level i guess? but idk

but you need good grades to do all of those and it will be really hard
@LeapingLucy might be able to help?
@LeapingLucy might be able to help?

ok thnx
also @mnot
also @mnot

ayt thnx for the help

also @mnot

So I come from the A-level path, I have a very strong opinion on BTEC v A-level for STEM and academic subjects (like physics, engineering, Compsci, maths etc. or economics, law, medicine etc.)

But for these types of courses I think its whatever you feel more comfortable doing, the BTEC route will probably give you a little higher workload and more coursework environment, whereas A-levels will feel more academic and the pressure is more compressed into the final 3 months.

If you had said Vet medicine I would have said A-levels, but I think the vet nursing or animal management it really doesn't matter. I would email a university admissions tutor for the subject and see what they say if you want more tailored advice

(if you do email them please update us on this thread id love to hear what they say)
Original post by mnot
So I come from the A-level path, I have a very strong opinion on BTEC v A-level for STEM and academic subjects (like physics, engineering, Compsci, maths etc. or economics, law, medicine etc.)

But for these types of courses I think its whatever you feel more comfortable doing, the BTEC route will probably give you a little higher workload and more coursework environment, whereas A-levels will feel more academic and the pressure is more compressed into the final 3 months.

If you had said Vet medicine I would have said A-levels, but I think the vet nursing or animal management it really doesn't matter. I would email a university admissions tutor for the subject and see what they say if you want more tailored advice

(if you do email them please update us on this thread id love to hear what they say)

Wow this is very helpful. Thank you so much and i will email the uni admission tutors to see what they say and for sure i will let you know.

Quick Reply