The Student Room Group

Glasgow A100 2020 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Oh ! You r right ! I must have been looking at wrong data . No wonder I keep thinking why is e FOI data so inconsistent with what I read ! Thanks ! So looks like chances are on par for both Glasgow and Edinburgh . 😰
Original post by GANFYD
The International target intake for Glasgow for 2019 entry is 18.
An FOI states "There were 6 successful international applicants for 2018 entry to Medicine"
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/523196/response/1256616/attach/2/20181029%20response%20to%20applicant%20F1108074.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1
Slightly older info shows around 45 offers for 18 places
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a100_admission_process_and_stati_2#incoming-878963

Are you sure your data is not about RUK applicants, as Glasgow have around 45 places for these?
Glasgow and Edinburgh have similar International quoas at 18 and 17
Reply 21
Original post by hopefulA100
Hi , can someone correct me if wrong ? I found their FOI data and saw that 2018 they made 80 offers or so to international students with about 40 tbc intake ? Then why is it I also read that international quota is about 17?
Am confused ... likely to put Glasgow as one of my UCAS choices .. would have thought I might stand a better shot here than Edinburgh given the quota ... but not sure now ... thanks 🙏

My data which I believe is from last year is applied 357, interviewed 123, offered 83, intake 41, which is probably what you were looking at. I don't see why that wouldn't be true, but I suppose it could be false. That's about 15% of their incoming class, but even in 2017 and 16 they report about 11% international intake. Maybe it's possible these are the people who accepted offers, but not all of them ended up taking a place? I'm not sure.
https://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_475041_en.pdf
Yes , this is what I found . So it is possibly wrong or referring to RUk applicants ? I was hopeful when I saw this stats
You know how they have limited numbers on how many applicants from the rest of the UK/ internationals they can take, does that mean they can therefore only interview a certain number of these people?
Reply 24
Original post by student0299
You know how they have limited numbers on how many applicants from the rest of the UK/ internationals they can take, does that mean they can therefore only interview a certain number of these people?

They can interview as many as they want and all med schools make more offers than they have places to allow for those not firming/insuring them or not making their grades, but they get financially penalised if they admit significantly more people than their quota
For the interviews at the university of glasgow, how much do they use your personal statement. Also, I am a gap year student, so how should i change my personal statement, i got rejected last year because of poor ucat and bmat scores (didn't apply to glasgow last year)
Reply 26
Original post by Krunker482
For the interviews at the university of glasgow, how much do they use your personal statement. Also, I am a gap year student, so how should i change my personal statement, i got rejected last year because of poor ucat and bmat scores (didn't apply to glasgow last year)

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6022514
I'm applying too, but relying heavily on PS. Not sat UCAT yet, also starting my gap year and hoping that I get a semi-decent UCAT. Good luck!
Reply 28
Original post by blue.stripes
I'm applying too, but relying heavily on PS. Not sat UCAT yet, also starting my gap year and hoping that I get a semi-decent UCAT. Good luck!

Im about to start my gap year also. I applied last year but unfortunately wasn’t successful due to my low UCAT score. Im hoping this year will be different. I have my UCAT in 2 days. Also, I went to the open day for Glasgow and they told me they don’t even read the personal statement. They find it pointless now due to plagiarism etc and due to uncertainty that it’s actually your own work!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by pam1888
Im about to start my gap year also. I applied last year but unfortunately wasn’t successful due to my low UCAT score. Im hoping this year will be different. I have my UCAT in 2 days. Also, I went to the open day for Glasgow and they told me they don’t even read the personal statement. They find it pointless now due to plagiarism etc and due to uncertainty that it’s actually your own work!

Oh . Then what do they primarily look for ? Do they also use some sort of weighted scores to rank
I’m a gap year student as well and was planning on applying to Glasgow. For my personal statement I basically took out a paragraph and inserted one about what I’m planning to do on my gap year and relevant skills. I was told to include at least something about my gap year instead of resubmitting the same personal statement. Do you also know how exactly they use our references?

Original post by Krunker482
Reply 31
Original post by hopefulA100
Oh . Then what do they primarily look for ? Do they also use some sort of weighted scores to rank

Glasgow rank on UCAT scores
I’m a gap year student as well and was planning on applying to Glasgow. For my personal statement I basically took out a paragraph and inserted one about what I’m planning to do on my gap year and relevant skills. I was told to include at least something about my gap year instead of resubmitting the same personal statement. Do you also know how exactly they use our references?

Original post by GANFYD
Glasgow rank on UCAT scores

yh i called them up and apparently they don't really use the personal statement and only read it to make sure you're at least half decent to be a doctor after which they screen the students for gcse's and a levels and then rank the students on their ucat scores. But to be honest I am not quite sure how not putting a cutoff would change things at all since the cutoff is originally introduced to only invite the top for example 40 percent. Hence the cutoff would change every year, by not using a cutoff, those top 40 percent are still gonna be the only ones that get invited since they don't really look at anything else after the screening process, not even the sjt. Also they don't use your personal statement in the interview either.
Reply 33
I received an offer from Glasgow for September 2019 entry! Would be happy to answer any questions
Original post by S_x_x
I received an offer from Glasgow for September 2019 entry! Would be happy to answer any questions

Are you a Scottish applicant and what were your stats?
Reply 35
Are you a Scottish applicant and what were your stats?

Scottish Applicant
S4 National 5s: 8As
S5 Highers: AAAAA
S6 Advanced Highers: AAA
UKCAT (now UCAT): 710 Band 3
Interviewed: 10/12/18
Offer: 7/03/19

Can’t believe times gone soo fast! I’m starting in 2 days time and just had my induction, it’s all so exciting!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Jhlow
I'm an international student. UCAT score 2980. Any knows what the min UCAT score for international students in the last year's admission? Many thanks.

congratulations, that's an amazing score.
If you don't mind me asking, how many hours on average did you spend revising and which resources did you use?
Original post by Brownasian96
congratulations, that's an amazing score.
If you don't mind me asking, how many hours on average did you spend revising and which resources did you use?

I spent about 4 weeks and used mainly Medify. Hope this info is useful to you. All the best.
Hi everyone, I got 662.50 and have emailed the university to see if it’s even worth applying this year.

Does anyone understand how things will be assessed if they are no longer doing a UCAT cut off?
Also how many times can you apply to Glasgow before they cut you off?

You can only apply 3 times to Aberdeen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending