The Student Room Group

2020 Computer Science Applicants

Hey folks,

As you'll know, we're into the 2020 application cycle now - so I thought it would be good to start an applicant thread for this year :biggrin:

Pure CompSci, or joint degree?
University choices:
What subject(s) are currently studying?:
Why CompSci?
Fun fact about yourself?

Want to ask a question to someone who's studying/studied the subject already? You can either tag me in this thread, or post your question here :biggrin:

You can also check out the UCAS Applications 2020 megathread >> Here

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shadowdweller
Hey folks,

As you'll know, we're into the 2020 application cycle now - so I thought it would be good to start an applicant thread for this year :biggrin:

University choices:
Why CompSci?
Fun fact about yourself?

Want to ask a question to someone who's studying/studied the subject already? You can either tag me in this thread, or post your question here :biggrin:

Hey!

I'm applying for Maths and CompSci, and Maths for the ones that don't offer the joint course. So I probably shouldn't be in this thread, but it seemed kinda lonely and I do CompSci.
My choices are Oxford, Imperial (for both Maths, and Maths and CompSci), UCL and Bristol.
I study A-Level CompSci, Maths, and Further Maths. (and GCSE English Lit, English Lang, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Music, Business Studies, but that's another matter).
Ummmmm I'm not very fun, but I play the ukulele!

So yeah (:
Original post by DoNotMove
Hey!

I'm applying for Maths and CompSci, and Maths for the ones that don't offer the joint course. So I probably shouldn't be in this thread, but it seemed kinda lonely and I do CompSci.
My choices are Oxford, Imperial (for both Maths, and Maths and CompSci), UCL and Bristol.
I study A-Level CompSci, Maths, and Further Maths. (and GCSE English Lit, English Lang, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Music, Business Studies, but that's another matter).
Ummmmm I'm not very fun, but I play the ukulele!

So yeah (:

If you're applying for CompSci, at least partially, you're more than welcome here! :five:

Ukulele is pretty fun, what can you play? :biggrin:
If you're applying for CompSci, at least partially, you're more than welcome here! :five:

Ukulele is pretty fun, what can you play? :biggrin:

I can play basically every chord, and like all the normal things that people can play. I've played it for 11 years now so I'm fairly good at learning new things.
Reply 4
Pure CompSci, or joint degree? Computer Science on it's own
University choices: Kings College London, Oxford Uni, Imperial College London, (kinda wanna stay in London but don't know what other uni's are good, any suggestions??)
What subject(s) are currently studying?: Maths, Physics, Computer Science
Why CompSci? Sounds bad but not entirely sure at this point but i enjoy finding out how the computer works behind the scenes
Fun fact about yourself? I basically don't have brain at this point in a-levels
Original post by ace.edge
University choices: Kings College London, Oxford Uni, Imperial College London, (kinda wanna stay in London but don't know what other uni's are good, any suggestions??)
Why CompSci? Sounds bad but not entirely sure at this point but i enjoy finding out how the computer works behind the scenes

What kind of things are you looking for in a uni? :smile:
Reply 6
Pure CompSci, or joint degree? Pure
University choices: Cambridge, Imperial, St Andrews, UCL, King's
What subject(s) are currently studying?: Maths, Chemistry, Biology
Why CompSci?
Why not? I'd like to know how these things we obsess over work
Fun fact about yourself?
Who's got time for fun? 😂
Reply 7
Original post by ace.edge

UCL is pretty good. Royal Holloway seems to be fairly reputable but its a bit outside London. There's also Queen Mary but its not quite as good as the ones you have already.
Original post by MQ99
Pure CompSci, or joint degree? Pure
University choices: Cambridge, Imperial, St Andrews, UCL, King's
What subject(s) are currently studying?: Maths, Chemistry, Biology
Why CompSci?
Why not? I'd like to know how these things we obsess over work
Fun fact about yourself?
Who's got time for fun? 😂

I enjoy 'why not?' as a reason :lol:
Reply 9
I enjoy 'why not?' as a reason :lol:

It seemed the perfect description considering i didnt even know what i wanted to do at uni until recently
Pure CompSci, or joint degree: Applying for straight CompSci and CompSci with Phil

University choices: Oxford, Imperial, St Andrews, Warwick and Leeds (as a vague guess)
What subject(s) are currently studying? Year 14 on a gap year. Studied Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science.
Why CompSci? Interesting and actually relevant
Fun fact about yourself? Last year got confused and applied for mechanical engineering by mistake

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on where I could find good mathsy computer science problems/puzzles. i've been looking all over the internet but haven't had much luck.
Original post by Sporeray
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on where I could find good mathsy computer science problems/puzzles. i've been looking all over the internet but haven't had much luck.

cyber discovery's pretty okay, it's not too hard but not ridiculously easy either.
Original post by Nephertum
cyber discovery's pretty okay, it's not too hard but not ridiculously easy either.

Seems interesting i'll look into it, thanks for the recommendation.
What do you guys think about Manchester, Bristol and Birmingham? I'm applying for maths and computer science.
As I am not living in the UK right now, I can't visit the unis to see what they are like.
I've heard from other threads that Manchester is not very welcoming for international students, is that true?
I'm not sure what I want to do after graduating. I may consider future studies after graduating, doing research on maths or computer science, but I'm recently interested in starting my own tech company, so a school which has good research opportunities and connections to professionals in related fields would be nice.
Predicted grades A*(maths)AA
Reply 14
Hey folks,

University choices:
Why CompSci?
Fun fact about yourself?

Hey,

I'm applying for Pure CompSci at Warwick, Bath, Cambridge, Edinburgh and Nottingham.
I'm currently studying Maths, Physics and Computer Science.
Hmm, why compsci, I guess I just found it interesting in GCSE, and A-levels, so why not carry on with it?
And a fun fact... I quite like playing the guitar.
Original post by FastCar
Hey,

I'm applying for Pure CompSci at Warwick, Bath, Cambridge, Edinburgh and Nottingham.
I'm currently studying Maths, Physics and Computer Science.
Hmm, why compsci, I guess I just found it interesting in GCSE, and A-levels, so why not carry on with it?
And a fun fact... I quite like playing the guitar.

Sounds like a fab mix! I went to open days at Bath and Nottingham, and they both looked awesome :biggrin:

How long have you been playing guitar for? :smile:
I was interested at first, however I don't think I'm eligible for comp sci since my A-levels are Bio, politics and sociology :redface:
Original post by HumbleBee_x
I was interested at first, however I don't think I'm eligible for comp sci since my A-levels are Bio, politics and sociology :redface:

Depending on where you want to go, you don't necessarily need Maths, and CompSci is rarely required as an A-level because not all schools offer it! It will limit your choices, but it's an option that's still open to you if you wished to pursue it.

As a for instance, Keele University, Northumbria University, and Greenwich University all offer a BSc in Computer Science with no specific subject requirements at A-level :yep:
Reply 18
Sounds like a fab mix! I went to open days at Bath and Nottingham, and they both looked awesome :biggrin:

How long have you been playing guitar for? :smile:

I went to Warwick and Baths open days and loved them both. I've been playing for about 3 years now, I haven't had proper lessons but I can play most chords and do some basic fingerstyle stuff :smile:
Hey folks,

University choices:
Why CompSci?
Fun fact about yourself?

Hey :smile:

I am looking to study a BSc Computer Science Degree

University choices:
Imperial, Warwick, Bath, UCL, Bristol

Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Technology:Product Design - Predicated grades are A*AA*A* respectively

Why CompSci?
I really love Computing, I have been programming for approximately 5 years and have always thoroughly enjoyed it. I have also developed online courses teaching others how to program. And I also love mathematics, especially the logical problem solving aspect of it.

Fun fact about yourself?
I have a YouTube channel called Tech Force where I actually share my passion for technology with the world and have been doing so for a few years :smile:

Does anyone know much about Bristol University for Computer Science? And are there any other universities aside from Oxbridge which are better than any of the universities I have chosen? Thanks guys and good luck with your applications! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending