The Student Room Group

A-Level Biology, Chemistry and Geography

Hi,
I'm in year 12 doing biology, chemistry and geography. Does anyone have any tips on what they did that they thought was beneficial or good resources that I can be using, what were people doing after lessons with their notes and stuff like that. I do OCR biology and chemistry and edexcel geography. I would be really grateful if someone could give me some pointers! Thanks :smile:
I did Chemistry at A Level. After each lesson, I’d consult the text book to check that we have covered everything and then turned my notes from that day into revision cards. I used these cards to revise, topped up with some practise questions from the website Physics and Maths Tutor. They split up the questions by exam board and then by topic.
Original post by scoobyice8
I did Chemistry at A Level. After each lesson, I’d consult the text book to check that we have covered everything and then turned my notes from that day into revision cards. I used these cards to revise, topped up with some practise questions from the website Physics and Maths Tutor. They split up the questions by exam board and then by topic.

how often did you review your flashcards ?
Original post by snazzy viking
how often did you review your flashcards ?

Just whenever we had a test, usually about three days before. Obviously, I revised harder for my mocks and A Levels though.
can i ask what you got for GCSES please
Original post by scoobyice8

Ok thank you so much this is really helpful!
Original post by Red_Revolver
can i ask what you got for GCSES please

For my GCSEs?
I got; Biology- 9, Chemistry- 9 and Geography 8
could you tell me the grades of all your subjects please
Original post by Student01234
For my GCSEs?
I got; Biology- 9, Chemistry- 9 and Geography 8

amazing grades congrats :biggrin:

hope you smash a levels too
Reply 9
My biggest advice is to keep on top of creating your revision resources. For biology and geography you'll go through a lot of content, so usually after that lesson, or sometime in the next few days you make your revision resources. Whether this is mindmaps, flashcards, rewriting notes neatly in a notebook, whatever. Chemistry isn't so much content-heavy but has a lot of concepts you need to learn.
For the sciences, you'll also want to be practising questions regularly. I recommend purchasing the CGP revision guides and practice workbooks for A-Level. It is initially a bit pricy, but I use them all the time to practice questions. You can also check out PhysicsMathsTutor and ALevelChemistry.com
For geography, keeping up to date with the news and current affairs is important. I recommend you regularly read a geography magazine (I have a subscription to the Geographical), or the geography review etc. This will mean your essays are more relevant and credible.
Best wishes, and great A-Level subject combination!! :biggrin:
Original post by snazzy viking
amazing grades congrats :biggrin:

hope you smash a levels too

awh thank you so much!
Original post by Deggs_14
My biggest advice is to keep on top of creating your revision resources. For biology and geography you'll go through a lot of content, so usually after that lesson, or sometime in the next few days you make your revision resources. Whether this is mindmaps, flashcards, rewriting notes neatly in a notebook, whatever. Chemistry isn't so much content-heavy but has a lot of concepts you need to learn.
For the sciences, you'll also want to be practising questions regularly. I recommend purchasing the CGP revision guides and practice workbooks for A-Level. It is initially a bit pricy, but I use them all the time to practice questions. You can also check out PhysicsMathsTutor and ALevelChemistry.com
For geography, keeping up to date with the news and current affairs is important. I recommend you regularly read a geography magazine (I have a subscription to the Geographical), or the geography review etc. This will mean your essays are more relevant and credible.
Best wishes, and great A-Level subject combination!! :biggrin:

Thanks for your help, this is really useful!!!
Reply 12
Don’t do all the past paper questions too early on. I got 3 As and 3 months before my exams, all of my revision was just past papers. You do not want to run out of questions you’ve never seen before the exam, especially for applied questions in Biology. Also, don’t redo notes to make them look really pretty, this is not active revision and a lot of the people who were too focused on note making ended up getting lower grades than they were expecting. Find a type of active revision that works for you. For example, I would make mind maps and teach other people the subjects so I knew I really understood it. I also made tables for each subject listing topics and how confident I was in each topic out of 10. Then I knew which topics I needed to work on. Once study leave starts, It is better to do 6-8 hours of really good revision over 8-10 hours of super tiring revision. And give yourself at least 2 break days a week where you revise for less hours and just catch up on stuff you couldn’t finish before.
Original post by imo__o
Don’t do all the past paper questions too early on. I got 3 As and 3 months before my exams, all of my revision was just past papers. You do not want to run out of questions you’ve never seen before the exam, especially for applied questions in Biology. Also, don’t redo notes to make them look really pretty, this is not active revision and a lot of the people who were too focused on note making ended up getting lower grades than they were expecting. Find a type of active revision that works for you. For example, I would make mind maps and teach other people the subjects so I knew I really understood it. I also made tables for each subject listing topics and how confident I was in each topic out of 10. Then I knew which topics I needed to work on. Once study leave starts, It is better to do 6-8 hours of really good revision over 8-10 hours of super tiring revision. And give yourself at least 2 break days a week where you revise for less hours and just catch up on stuff you couldn’t finish before.

Thank you I really appreciate your response, I completely understand what you mean about running out of exam questions as I had to be careful about this at GCSE. I think I will definitely try out some active revision methods and see what works for me. Congrats on your 3 As!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest