The Student Room Group

a Level subjects

I’m not sure what I want to be however I am certain that I want to study science (whether it be research or engineering) at uni or for an apprenticeship. I’m currently doing maths, physics and biology - is this a good mix to work with or should I consider taking up chemistry as it often requires for courses that I have researched. I’m in year 12 so I have the ability to swap if I wish to do so I just want advice.
Original post by Wta
I’m not sure what I want to be however I am certain that I want to study science (whether it be research or engineering) at uni or for an apprenticeship. I’m currently doing maths, physics and biology - is this a good mix to work with or should I consider taking up chemistry as it often requires for courses that I have researched. I’m in year 12 so I have the ability to swap if I wish to do so I just want advice.

This seems like a good mix, as long as you enjoyed these subjects at GCSE!

Have you had a look at the entry requirements for engineering at university?
Original post by Wta

for engineering Maths and Physics will be great. For medicine and life sciences you will probably need Chemistry.
Reply 3
Original post by Hazzabear
This seems like a good mix, as long as you enjoyed these subjects at GCSE!

Have you had a look at the entry requirements for engineering at university?

Not yet, I’m not sure what type of engineering just yet. And I really loved science at GCSEs
Original post by Wta
Not yet, I’m not sure what type of engineering just yet. And I really loved science at GCSEs

If you love science, go for it :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by swanseajack1
for engineering Maths and Physics will be great. For medicine and life sciences you will probably need Chemistry.

Do you think physics maths and chemistry would be a better selection
Original post by Wta
Do you think physics maths and chemistry would be a better selection

yes because it would also cover Chemical Engineering and maybe subjects like Pharmacy. Most medical type courses usually require Chemistry and usually Biology. It is impossible to cover everything because some Engineering courses prefer Further Maths. Chemistry, Physics and Maths will cover many things but only take a subject if you enjoy it and will get good grades in it
Reply 7
I think this is a good mix, especially if you enjoy it. However, if you want to go into medical sciences, Chemistry A Level is required by some unis. If you’re more interested in applying for Physics or Biology, then this A Level mix is absolutely fine. I think Maths is extremely useful for all sciences.
Reply 8
Original post by swanseajack1
yes because it would also cover Chemical Engineering and maybe subjects like Pharmacy. Most medical type courses usually require Chemistry and usually Biology. It is impossible to cover everything because some Engineering courses prefer Further Maths. Chemistry, Physics and Maths will cover many things but only take a subject if you enjoy it and will get good grades in it

As of right now I’m not sure if I’m too keen on medicine. I have been looking at things like biochemistry, biophysics, chemical and mechanical engineering and aeronautical engineering (i don’t know if that gives you an idea of what I’m interested in - hopefully it does)
Reply 9
Original post by imo__o
I think this is a good mix, especially if you enjoy it. However, if you want to go into medical sciences, Chemistry A Level is required by some unis. If you’re more interested in applying for Physics or Biology, then this A Level mix is absolutely fine. I think Maths is extremely useful for all sciences

I’m not sure about medicine, but I thought I’d take chemistry so that I’d have a more broad selection on areas I think I’m interested in
If you do maths, physics, chemistry and biology, that will leave your options for university courses very open. (ie any of the engineering branches and medicine)
Reply 11
Original post by AGrizzlyBearo
If you do maths, physics, chemistry and biology, that will leave your options for university courses very open. (ie any of the engineering branches and medicine)

I was honestly considering this but I don’t know if I’d be able to juggle 4 subjects and do as well as I want to in all 4. I’m just trying to figure out which science I need least (out of chemistry and biology)
Original post by Wta
I was honestly considering this but I don’t know if I’d be able to juggle 4 subjects and do as well as I want to in all 4. I’m just trying to figure out which science I need least (out of chemistry and biology)

If your school allow it, you could start 4 subjects and drop one later? Yes, doing 4 subjects is not a sensible idea - you only need 3 grades, and AAA will always look better than BBBB.

PS. Its worth going to some Uni Open Days this year to get an idea of the sort of Engineering or other course you might want to do. There will be subject presentations and possibly taster lectures so that you can get an idea of what these subjects are all about at Uni level. You dont have to be in Year 13 to go to one. Useful website with all the dates : https://www.opendays.com/calendar/
Original post by Wta

I guess Chemistry would be more important than biology, since you can study medicine without biology, but not without chemistry (can depend on the uni though)

According to UCAS:
'You also need a minimum of three A levels at grades AAA or AAB in chemistry and either biology, physics or maths, plus another academic subject'

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/after-gcses/find-career-ideas/explore-jobs/job-profile/hospital-doctor

Also if you look at the entry requirements for medicine at Cambridge, you need chemistry, but not necessarily biology a level:
'All Colleges require: A Level Chemistry and one of A Level Biology/Human Biology, Physics, Mathematics'

https://digital.ucas.com/courses/details?coursePrimaryId=22224d1a-8de7-4f91-932c-7626e29de091&academicYearId=2020

Bearing that in mind, I think you can still do medicine without chemistry at some universities, so you could choose which subject you enjoy the most.

(You could also try to do 4 alevels for just year 12 then drop one, so you could have longer for your decision)

Good luck!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by returnmigrant
If your school allow it, you could start 4 subjects and drop one later? Yes, doing 4 subjects is not a sensible idea - you only need 3 grades, and AAA will always look better than BBBB.

PS. Its worth going to some Uni Open Days this year to get an idea of the sort of Engineering or other course you might want to do. There will be subject presentations and possibly taster lectures so that you can get an idea of what these subjects are all about at Uni level. You dont have to be in Year 13 to go to one. Useful website with all the dates : https://www.opendays.com/calendar/

My teachers advise against it because I had already initially started with 4 (maths, physics, art, biology) and had dropped art. But I do think I will look into the open days so thank you.
Reply 15
Original post by AGrizzlyBearo
I guess Chemistry would be more important than biology, since you can study medicine without biology, but not without chemistry (can depend on the uni though)

According to UCAS:
'You also need a minimum of three A levels at grades AAA or AAB in chemistry and either biology, physics or maths, plus another academic subject'

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/after-gcses/find-career-ideas/explore-jobs/job-profile/hospital-doctor

Also if you look at the entry requirements for medicine at Cambridge, you need chemistry, but not necessarily biology a level:
'All Colleges require: A Level Chemistry and one of A Level Biology/Human Biology, Physics, Mathematics'

https://digital.ucas.com/courses/details?coursePrimaryId=22224d1a-8de7-4f91-932c-7626e29de091&academicYearId=2020

Bearing that in mind, I think you can still do medicine without chemistry at some universities, so you could choose which subject you enjoy the most.

(You could also try to do 4 alevels for just year 12 then drop one, so you could have longer for your decision)

Good luck!

Thank youuu, I guess my problem is whether I want to take chemistry for the slight possibility that I may want to do medicine. And to be honest I don’t know which one would be better for me - I hear biology is the easier subject to understand and learn
Original post by Wta
Thank youuu, I guess my problem is whether I want to take chemistry for the slight possibility that I may want to do medicine. And to be honest I don’t know which one would be better for me - I hear biology is the easier subject to understand and learn

Chemistry is probably going to give your more options but you need to decide which subject you will enjoy more and get best grades in. Biology would only be useful for biochemistry and biophysics but you will need chemistry for biochemistry and chemical engineering.

Quick Reply

Latest