The Student Room Group

Falling from Cloud 9 - Me, and my ever-loosening grip on grade 9s :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Matthew2422
Update 008 - 24.09.19

Ok, so I'll start off with after my update yesterday evening...

I did have a relatively lazy evening, and I finished the Spanish TV programme Elite on Netflix - it is very good and you should watch it (they have an English audio option if you aren't interested in the Spanish) anyway, that is a bit off track and I probably shouldn't be giving you TV recommendations. :lol:

I did write Biology notes for about 30 minutes but that was it.

This morning - I woke up and did some more notes because I found I had spare time...

The main news from today is that I handed in my 'Head Boy' application... now all I have to do is be chosen pahah.

After School, I wrote a few more notes, and then made a list: turns out I'm only halfway through my first topic in Biology (out of 8) and that is just one subject (out of 11) Good for me! Anyway, I plan to try and do three topics a week and then I should be caught up to what we are learning with, in most subjects by Christmas :colondollar:

QotD: Tea or Coffee? (Having this discussion at school ahaha
AotD: Coffee out of those two but my favourite is mint tea...

Spoiler

Good luck on your head boy application :biggrin:

Could I be tagged into your gyg please?
I might give Elite a try thanks for the recommendation. Good luck with head boy!
stressful year 11 hahahaha wait till you get to year 13.
Original post by Kaspar Ambühl

What subjects are you doing in year 13?

Is it possible to miss year 11 lol :bawling:
Original post by Hazzabear
What subjects are you doing in year 13?

Is it possible to miss year 11 lol :bawling:

mathematics ,further mathematics and physics. also known as one of the hardest a level trios you can choose. I it possible to miss year 11? no, of course not.
mathematics ,further mathematics and physics. also known as one of the hardest a level trios you can choose. I it possible to miss year 11? no, of course not.

Year 11 seems so much easier compared to college. Wow that does sound pretty hard, are you at least enjoying the subjects? :biggrin:
Year 11 seems so much easier compared to college. Wow that does sound pretty hard, are you at least enjoying the subjects? :biggrin:

yeah I'm enjoying them mostly, there are some topics such as fricking statistics which are dead af though.
Original post by noahhh
Good luck with the head boy application! :biggrin:

I prefer tea, but really like iced coffee too. Can't drink caffeinated drinks anymore though, they make me ill :frown:

Thanks! Oh no :s-smilie: why?

Good luck on your head boy application :biggrin:

Could I be tagged into your gyg please?

Thank you :biggrin: Of course...

Original post by gw07mcgheerachel
I might give Elite a try thanks for the recommendation. Good luck with head boy!

Thanks!

Ik ahaha I'm getting anxiety just thinking about it aha, would you like to be tagged?
Week 4 - Let's go at my own pace - Part 1

Ok, so the title of my posts may be subject to change at some point as I'm finding I'm wanting to do Daily Updates but I'm having to keep them short enough to validate having a weekly - which goes on my contents page. Anyway, I have a lot to say right now which is why this isn't 'update 009' :lol:

I'm going to quickly recap the last two days (although I'm aware that is what Update 007 & 008 are about):

Monday 23rd September -
Double English... meh, except what was good was that although our second lesson every fortnight on this double English day is a practice essay (even worse Ik) this week it was creative writing, and the topic was quite open. I wrote about a boy who got refuge from his problems by going to the sea and wrote all about the sea and the ocean, and I really enjoyed the flow of it, unfortunately, Physics last lesson really put a damper on things :lol:

Tuesday 24th September -
Handed in the application for Head Boy, and made some more notes similar to the ones in Update 007. (Where it says just Cell on the diagram it should be Cell Membrane :lol: )

Today was quite a big day...

Wednesday 25th September -
Woke up, as you do... and ended up running a bit late for school because I was enjoying breakfast a bit too much paha *classic.

First Lesson was French, which was an average French Lesson, we ended up going to a different classroom however because the board was being fixed. And our French teacher told us that we would be starting Speaking Practice once a fortnight after school! Next Lesson, was supposed to be Maths, but my year group had a lecture in the theatre, about like revision tips from a Memory Champion, which was actually quite useful and I now know how to do mindmaps properly... I think. Then we had English, we didn't get our Creative Writing back but we did more Jekyll and Hyde.

After English, I got to the food hall a bit late, and so ended up spending three-quarters of lunch queuing... what fun! (I like ellipses ok :lol: )

Then I had Biology, in which I was forced to wear my glasses because I sit at the back. Oh yeah, did I mention? I wear glasses. Except I don't really because I don't like wearing them ahaha. And then the last lesson was Spanish (so it was a double language day) which wasn't too bad, we did directions in Spanish so I can now tell you that to get to your bed you 'gira a la derecha de tu *door* ' assuming to get to your bed all you have to do is turn right at your door, if this applies to you all I can say is I am a genius... (its late, I'm tired)

I then had Spanish Club with my teacher and friends. *Pysch* (Triple Language day - ahahahaha ) We just did general conversation questions the whole hour and a half but it was useful and good. :smile:

When I got home I literally just spent 2 hours staring at my computer making notes (that are basically exact carbon copies of CGP revision guides - and I'm not even sure if they're very good) anyway I finished Cell Biology which is topic 1 of 8 for Bio, but I'm just starting to wonder whether this is an effective resource making strategy - one thing I do know is that I've got to commit soon. (Even tho I am now just going to go at my own pace, and wherever that gets me is where I'll be - hence the title - so although I had a productive day today it doesn't matter if it isn't always like that, it's not the end of the world.) But still, it would probably useful to fully decide on a revision plan!

I am aware that it is quite late now, so there might not me much of an audience aha, but never mind - (I was note-taking most of this evening) if you are here tho don't forget to say hello! :hello:

QotD: Those of you who have done/ are doing your GCSEs and got/want 8/9s what was you Year 11 Long-term Revision Strategy? (This would be really helpful to me) Alternatively, if that's too heavy for you right now, Harry Potter thoughts? And House if you are in one?
AotD: Trying to figure it out which is why your answer would be greatly appreciated!! Ravenclaw, all the way!

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
Past papers are your best friend. What I also did at AS level this year which helped was set ridiculous time limits for myself; like, 25 marks in 10 minutes kinda ridiculous, which I wouldn't actually quite complete, but it helped my thinking quickly. Might work at GCSEs too. Also, different places. Around exam time the last two years I've gone and sat in my back garden (but then again I've had the privelege of two beautiful spring-early aummer periods where it was sunny all the time and a back garden which gets sun until 7pm from May-August)

Ravenclaw.
Week 4 - Let's go at my own pace - Part 1

Ok, so the title of my posts may be subject to change at some point as I'm finding I'm wanting to do Daily Updates but I'm having to keep them short enough to validate having a weekly - which goes on my contents page. Anyway, I have a lot to say right now which is why this isn't 'update 009' :lol:

I'm going to quickly recap the last two days (although I'm aware that is what Update 007 & 008 are about):

Monday 23rd September -
Double English... meh, except what was good was that although our second lesson every fortnight on this double English day is a practice essay (even worse Ik) this week it was creative writing, and the topic was quite open. I wrote about a boy who got refuge from his problems by going to the sea and wrote all about the sea and the ocean, and I really enjoyed the flow of it, unfortunately, Physics last lesson really put a damper on things :lol:

Tuesday 24th September -
Handed in the application for Head Boy, and made some more notes similar to the ones in Update 007. (Where it says just Cell on the diagram it should be Cell Membrane :lol: )

Today was quite a big day...

Wednesday 25th September -
Woke up, as you do... and ended up running a bit late for school because I was enjoying breakfast a bit too much paha *classic.

First Lesson was French, which was an average French Lesson, we ended up going to a different classroom however because the board was being fixed. And our French teacher told us that we would be starting Speaking Practice once a fortnight after school! Next Lesson, was supposed to be Maths, but my year group had a lecture in the theatre, about like revision tips from a Memory Champion, which was actually quite useful and I now know how to do mindmaps properly... I think. Then we had English, we didn't get our Creative Writing back but we did more Jekyll and Hyde.

After English, I got to the food hall a bit late, and so ended up spending three-quarters of lunch queuing... what fun! (I like ellipses ok :lol: )

Then I had Biology, in which I was forced to wear my glasses because I sit at the back. Oh yeah, did I mention? I wear glasses. Except I don't really because I don't like wearing them ahaha. And then the last lesson was Spanish (so it was a double language day) which wasn't too bad, we did directions in Spanish so I can now tell you that to get to your bed you 'gira a la derecha de tu *door* ' assuming to get to your bed all you have to do is turn right at your door, if this applies to you all I can say is I am a genius... (its late, I'm tired)

I then had Spanish Club with my teacher and friends. *Pysch* (Triple Language day - ahahahaha ) We just did general conversation questions the whole hour and a half but it was useful and good. :smile:

When I got home I literally just spent 2 hours staring at my computer making notes (that are basically exact carbon copies of CGP revision guides - and I'm not even sure if they're very good) anyway I finished Cell Biology which is topic 1 of 8 for Bio, but I'm just starting to wonder whether this is an effective resource making strategy - one thing I do know is that I've got to commit soon. (Even tho I am now just going to go at my own pace, and wherever that gets me is where I'll be - hence the title - so although I had a productive day today it doesn't matter if it isn't always like that, it's not the end of the world.) But still, it would probably useful to fully decide on a revision plan!

I am aware that it is quite late now, so there might not me much of an audience aha, but never mind - (I was note-taking most of this evening) if you are here tho don't forget to say hello! :hello:

QotD: Those of you who have done/ are doing your GCSEs and got/want 8/9s what was you Year 11 Long-term Revision Strategy? (This would be really helpful to me) Alternatively, if that's too heavy for you right now, Harry Potter thoughts? And House if you are in one?
AotD: Trying to figure it out which is why your answer would be greatly appreciated!! Ravenclaw, all the way!

Spoiler

:eek: a memory champion. How do you make those mindmaps?

I haven't done my GCSEs (apart from maths) but my long term goal would be all 9s in all my subjects. Although I'd be happy(ish) with an 8 in further maths and French. Anyways, my long term revisision strategy is:

Spoiler

Also, how did you link your previous posts (like how did you get the url to link them)?
Original post by MidnightSymphony
Past papers are your best friend. What I also did at AS level this year which helped was set ridiculous time limits for myself; like, 25 marks in 10 minutes kinda ridiculous, which I wouldn't actually quite complete, but it helped my thinking quickly. Might work at GCSEs too. Also, different places. Around exam time the last two years I've gone and sat in my back garden (but then again I've had the privelege of two beautiful spring-early aummer periods where it was sunny all the time and a back garden which gets sun until 7pm from May-August)

Ravenclaw.

Oh ok, I will try the ridiculous limits thing - sounds like it should work (also should be useful since I need to practice writing faster :lol: ) Definitely all for studying in the garden, at the moment my bedroom feels like I'm there just too much ahaha. Worried about using up past papers tho because of the relatively new spec.
Original post by _Mia101
:eek: a memory champion. How do you make those mindmaps?

I haven't done my GCSEs (apart from maths) but my long term goal would be all 9s in all my subjects. Although I'd be happy(ish) with an 8 in further maths and French. Anyways, my long term revisision strategy is:

Spoiler

Also, how did you link your previous posts (like how did you get the url to link them)?

Ok will definitely tell everyone how to make them at some point (when I actually make my first :lol:)

Yeh going for the same basically and its lowkey stressful aha. Definitely got your plan sorted out tho, and thats a good idea with saving the specimen papers for later on.

So to copy you have to right-click on the post number so where it says #80 for example, then you just have to copy link address. I guess you know how to write different stuff over the URL (but if u don't its probably in the TSR code examples, or ask again - tbh I didn't know this stuff a week ago :lol: )
Thursday 26th September - Let's Have 2.5 (3.5) Lessons

Hi guysss, so today was a very fun day! I think I might have decided on a new format tho ^^ and that's daily posts: They won't actually be daily as there will be some days where I won't have the time - but when I do... it's daily :wink:. (I'll still do a weekly summary at the weekends (for those who won't have the opportunity to read these in-depth, but they will be shorter and what will go on the Contents.) - This could very likely change again because I am extremely indecisive... (I have also decided to create a new post-type called Random Thought :laugh: because I often find I have something to say but it doesn't constitute a whole post...) Let me know what you think.

Walk to school was soaking so my hair was wet for like the next 3 hours (and then it got wet again for another 3 hours :laugh:) When I walked into tutor my class begun a game where you choose 5 people, and whoever gets all their 5 people to come in first to tutor time wins. Haha it's quite funny but the state of entertainment in my class hehe. Then because our tutor time is quite long I drew a mindmap on how to mindmap (from the lecture yesterday) just incase I forget aha. Now apparently this is the scientifically-proven best way to draw a mindmap: (Not very neat cus I had to rush it :lol: )

IMG_7483.jpg

Got a bit creased in the planner...

Chemistry -
In Chemistry today we learned more about Alkanes and specifically focused on the first 10, which I am going to try to recall right now without help :eek:. Here we go: Methane, Ethane, Propane, Butane, Pentane, Hexane, Heptane, Octane, Nonane and Decane. You're welcome... (jks not sure if that is even right but never mind... (we then moved on to fractional distillation which we were going to continue the next lesson.)

French -
Module 4 test next week yayyy. Anyway hopefully it shouldn't be too bad. My teacher was dressed up all funny for world languages day but sure aha. (I did get cake at break tho because of world languages day... except I do owe someone in my class 50p :lol: ) What else happpened? I guess not much important if I can't really remember.

P.E. -
Climbing! Did a speed climb in 23 seconds... very happy :smile: ahaha.

Sports Fixture -
It was technically supposed to be a double chemistry today, but I had a swimming competition (which I did have to miss lunch for but oh well) On the upside I missed Chemistry, which maybe isn't a good thing because now I have to teach myself Fractional Distillation but it made today a lot more chilled. We did quite well which was good but there were some really fast people from elsewhere... (like national swimmers.)

Maths -
Got back in time for the last 25 minutes of Maths but I didn't really do too much because we were doing Percentage questions (which are easy) and I just spoke with the people around me. (While smuggling grapes from my bag, because I hadn't realised we were missing lunch, so hadn't really eaten it :lol: )

Afterschool -
A.k.a. Now... I'm just going to have quite a chilled afternoon I think because I did lots of extra work last night. I may do some homework, but I definitely don't think I will do anything extra. Might just watch some TV. Feeling quite relaxed and don't really want to spoil the mood. :laugh:

QotD: Book recommendations?
AotD: Well, I have mentioned before that my favourite books are 'Breath' by Tim Winton and 'All the Light We Cannot See' by Anthony Doerr.
(My English teacher would be proud - putting names of books/plays in inverted commas haha)

I would also like to know what alternative ways there are to tagging people? Like I see some people do the quotes? But I don't know how and I can see this will soon become very laborious.

Spoiler

Thanks for reading :smile: and have a good day!
(edited 4 years ago)

Hi guysss, so today was a very fun day! I think I might have decided on a new format tho ^^ and that's daily posts: They won't actually be daily as there will be some days where I won't have the time - but when I do... it's daily :wink:. (I'll still do a weekly summary at the weekends (for those who won't have the opportunity to read these in-depth, but they will be shorter and what will go on the Contents.) - This could very likely change again because I am extremely indecisive...

Walk to school was soaking so my hair was wet for like the next 3 hours (and then it got wet again for another 3 hours :laugh:) When I walked into tutor my class begun a game where you choose 5 people, and whoever gets all their 5 people to come in first to tutor time wins. Haha it's quite funny but the state of entertainment in my class hehe. Then because our tutor time is quite long I drew a mindmap on how to mindmap (from the lecture yesterday) just incase I forget aha. Now apparently this is the scientifically-proven best way to draw a mindmap: (Not very neat cus I had to rush it :lol: )

IMG_7483.jpg

Chemistry -
In Chemistry today we learned more about Alkanes and specifically focused on the first 10, which I am going to try to recall right now without help :eek:. Here we go: Methane, Ethane, Propane, Butane, Pentane, Hexane, Heptane, Octane, Nonane and Decane. You're welcome... (jks not sure if that is even right but never mind... (we then moved on to fractional distillation which we were going to continue the next lesson.)

French -
Module 4 test next week yayyy. Anyway hopefully it shouldn't be too bad. My teacher was dressed up all funny for world languages day but sure aha. (I did get cake at break tho because of world languages day... except I do owe someone in my class 50p :lol: ) What else happpened? I guess not much important if I can't really remember.

P.E. -

Sports Fixture -
It was technically supposed to be a double chemistry today, but I had a swimming competition (which I did have to miss lunch for but oh well) On the upside I missed Chemistry, which maybe isn't a good thing because now I have to teach myself Fractional Distillation but it made today a lot more chilled. We did quite well which was good but there were some really fast people from elsewhere... (like national swimmers.)

Maths -
Got back in time for the last 25 minutes of Maths but I didn't really do too much because we were doing Percentage questions (which are easy) and I just spoke with the people around me. (While smuggling grapes from my bag, because I hadn't realised we were missing lunch, so hadn't really eaten it :lol: )

Afterschool -
A.k.a. Now... I'm just going to have quite a chilled afternoon I think because I did lots of extra work last night. I may do some homework, but I definitely don't think I will do anything extra. Might just watch some TV. Feeling quite relaxed and don't really want to spoil the mood. :laugh:

AotD: Well, I have mentioned before that my favourite books are 'Breath' by Tim Winton and 'All the Light We Cannot See' by Anthony Doerr.
(My English teacher would be proud - putting names of books/plays in inverted commas haha)

I would also like to know what alternative ways there are to tagging people? Like I see some people do the quotes? But I don't know how and I can see this will soon become very laborious.

Spoiler

Glad to hear today was good!

I’m a fan of medical genre books of medical journals. If you wanted something that’s realistic but humorous have a look at ‘This is going to hurt’ by Adam Kay.

Hi guysss, so today was a very fun day! I think I might have decided on a new format tho ^^ and that's daily posts: They won't actually be daily as there will be some days where I won't have the time - but when I do... it's daily :wink:. (I'll still do a weekly summary at the weekends (for those who won't have the opportunity to read these in-depth, but they will be shorter and what will go on the Contents.) - This could very likely change again because I am extremely indecisive...

IMG_7483.jpg

Chemistry -

French -

P.E. -

Sports Fixture -

Maths -

Afterschool -

Spoiler

My school went so ott for World Language Day. People brought spanish food and everything :lol:

For tagging people, just edit your post (this one^^^) and click the button that says </>. It'll change everything to BBCode. Then you can scroll down to the tag place and copy all of them. You should store them in a word document or something after.
Glad to hear today was good!

I’m a fan of medical genre books of medical journals. If you wanted something that’s realistic but humorous have a look at ‘This is going to hurt’ by Adam Kay.

No, what a shame! Read it this summer ahaha! Any other medical journals to recommend? (Apparently, he's got a new one coming out later this year as well.) :smile:

Original post by _Mia101
My school went so ott for World Language Day. People brought spanish food and everything :lol:

For tagging people, just edit your post (this one^^^) and click the button that says </>. It'll change everything to BBCode. Then you can scroll down to the tag place and copy all of them. You should store them in a word document or something after.

Mine did too, it was very funny ahaha Teachers were dressed up in loads of different countries styles and we had a baking competition but it had to be languaged themed!

Perfect! Thanks! :h:
No, what a shame! Read it this summer ahaha! Any other medical journals to recommend? (Apparently, he's got a new one coming out later this year as well.) :smile:

Mine did too, it was very funny ahaha Teachers were dressed up in loads of different countries styles and we had a baking competition but it had to be languaged themed!

Perfect! Thanks! :h:

I have a list somewhere but completely lost it! Will need to find them for sure :biggrin:

Do you have any books to recommend? I'm looking for something else to read for the time being.
Aotd: the color purple, the kite runner and the curious incident of the dog in the night time
I have a list somewhere but completely lost it! Will need to find them for sure :biggrin:

Do you have any books to recommend? I'm looking for something else to read for the time being.

Ok well let me know...

Not sure depends what you're after, I know I really enjoyed His Dark Materials Trilogy this year but it depends what sort of thing you're into...

Original post by Obolinda
Aotd: the color purple, the kite runner and the curious incident of the dog in the night time

I will have a look!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending