The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Happy mum
They take on average 80 ish rest of UK students . It’s a lot higher number of Scottish . You still have a chance . What are you academics like

Is it really, where do you find these stats???? My gcses are fine (8s and 9s), my ucat was 695 I wasn't sure if that was high enough but I thought it would be okay as they'll put less emphasis on it now there's an interview
Original post by GANFYD
All med schools have a cap on the number of students they can take on, it is just in Scotland, they break it down into fee status, so how many Home/EU, RUK and Internationals they can take. They have fewer places for RUK, but usually fewer applicants, too, so often the odds of an interview are actually better

I just got confused becasue I thought scots and non eu internationals were grouped together so surely that'd mean they'd have much lower chances?
Original post by saf1554
Is it really, where do you find these stats???? My gcses are fine (8s and 9s), my ucat was 695 I wasn't sure if that was high enough but I thought it would be okay as they'll put less emphasis on it now there's an interview

We went to the open day last year before my daughter applied and they told us
Reply 63
Original post by saf1554

the 4 things Edinburgh care about to select for interview are:
GCSEs (if they stick to their previous, needed 8A*s for max points),
predicted Alevels (previously A*A*A for max point),
SJT (obviously band 1 for max points) and
UCAT.
Your score in 2018 would have been somewhere about quarter the way up their UCAT scores that got offers.
So assuming you are on max points on everything else, your UCAT should be enough to get you to interview, assuming selection goes the way we are expecting it to. If you are off in each area, the more risky it becomes.
Reply 64
Original post by saf1554

Original post by saf1554
I just got confused becasue I thought scots and non eu internationals were grouped together so surely that'd mean they'd have much lower chances?

The groups are Home (Scotland) and EU together (though actually they often have different cut offs); RUK another group and International a third and there are quotas for each of those groups. The Scottish Government sets the intake targets each year. This is last year's publication
http://www.sfc.ac.uk/web/FILES/announcements_sfcan062019/Intake_Targets_for_Medicine_AY_2019-20.pdf
Original post by 2500_2
the 4 things Edinburgh care about to select for interview are:
GCSEs (if they stick to their previous, needed 8A*s for max points),
predicted Alevels (previously A*A*A for max point),
SJT (obviously band 1 for max points) and
UCAT.
Your score in 2018 would have been somewhere about quarter the way up their UCAT scores that got offers.
So assuming you are on max points on everything else, your UCAT should be enough to get you to interview, assuming selection goes the way we are expecting it to. If you are off in each area, the more risky it becomes.

Yeah that's my problem because I think I am a little bit off in each area (1 A in english gcse, sjt band 2, ucat not very high) but i was hoping it would be less harsh now, because I read you needed a near-perfect application because there was no interview
Reply 66
Original post by saf1554
Yeah that's my problem because I think I am a little bit off in each area (1 A in english gcse, sjt band 2, ucat not very high) but i was hoping it would be less harsh now, because I read you needed a near-perfect application because there was no interview

yes previously you needed to score 36+/40, of which 6 were PS scores.
They are only interviewing 600 for 400 offers so I think the bar is still going to be pretty high.
Honestly, it is really hard to call. It may be that a lot fewer people apply to Edinburgh this year because of the uncertainty.
If you have 2 or 3 other certain interviews and you really think Edinburgh is your dream, then risk it. If you're not that fussed, accept it's not worth the risk.
Original post by GANFYD
The groups are Home (Scotland) and EU together (though actually they often have different cut offs); RUK another group and International a third and there are quotas for each of those groups. The Scottish Government sets the intake targets each year. This is last year's publication
http://www.sfc.ac.uk/web/FILES/announcements_sfcan062019/Intake_Targets_for_Medicine_AY_2019-20.pdf

thanks so much for that doc!!
Original post by 2500_2
yes previously you needed to score 36+/40, of which 6 were PS scores.
They are only interviewing 600 for 400 offers so I think the bar is still going to be pretty high.
Honestly, it is really hard to call. It may be that a lot fewer people apply to Edinburgh this year because of the uncertainty.
If you have 2 or 3 other certain interviews and you really think Edinburgh is your dream, then risk it. If you're not that fussed, accept it's not worth the risk.

That is true, but it is my only really "aspirational" choice so I might just risk it. By the way my ucat is in the 8th decile according to the preliminary results, do you think that's good enough for edinburgh because I really have no idea
Reply 69
Original post by saf1554
That is true, but it is my only really "aspirational" choice so I might just risk it. By the way my ucat is in the 8th decile according to the preliminary results, do you think that's good enough for edinburgh because I really have no idea

Edinburgh divides its applicants into its own deciles (previously octiles).
In 2018 its AVERAGE succesful UCAT (2970) was in the top national decile. So at least half its previously successful applicants must have been top national decile. However, its lowest offer was at 2480 so was obviously possible to get an offer much lower down the national deciles if they score well across the board.
You've got to take into account that previously high UCAT scorers who wanted to avoid another interview would have applied to get a certain offer. That might not be the case this year.
Original post by TCL
Does anybody know how the points allocation works for the admissions assessment this year for RUK?

Previously it was out of 40 and the points were 10 for GCSEs (8 A* needed for full marks), 10 for A levels (A*A*A for full marks), 8 for UCAT (full marks for top decile), 6 for SJT (6 points for band 1). 36 points or more were generally needed for an offer.

The new prospectus says assessment will be 25% academic, 17.5% UCAT, 7.5% SJT, 50% assessment day, 650 people being interviewed. Presumably points for UCT/SJT will be similar to before, but does anybody know how the academic score will be calculated?

Hey! How do you know that its going to be 50% assessment day? Like where did you get these numbers from?
Reply 71
Original post by Raksha02
Hey! How do you know that its going to be 50% assessment day? Like where did you get these numbers from?

it's in the pdf on their website about the course (or that they gove out at open days)
Reply 72
Original post by Raksha02

https://www.ed.ac.uk/medicine-vet-medicine/edinburgh-medical-school/medicine/applying
IMG_3257.PNG
Edinburgh admission stats including 2019
Original post by 2500_2
it's in the pdf on their website about the course (or that they gove out at open days)

thanks, will check that out! (Sadly I can't go to open days because I'm an international applicant)
Hey, does anyone know what style the interviews will take? Is it MMIs or panel interviews?
Reply 77
Original post by Razza2000
Hey, does anyone know what style the interviews will take? Is it MMIs or panel interviews?

They tell you in the document linked above. 4 interviews with 2 people.
Can someone tell me if it’s worth applying to edi with these stats ?

Advanced highers 3As, highers 5As, ucat 670 band 2sj
Where can i find the scoring system for uni of edinburgh medicine?

Latest

Trending

Trending