The Student Room Group

SNP standing in English seats?

Would you vote for the Scottish National Party?
No. Their views don’t benefit the whole of the United Kingdom or my country (Wales) in the slightest, so it would be a waste of a vote to vote for them.
Original post by Miriam29
No. Their views don’t benefit the whole of the United Kingdom or my country (Wales) in the slightest, so it would be a waste of a vote to vote for them.

They do support remaining in the EU which is now backed by the Welsh Labour Government so there is some similarities and shared interests
Original post by prenticebaines
Would you vote for the Scottish National Party?

No.
No I'd rather vote Tory
Reply 5
Having lived under them in Scotland, I don't see why anyone in England would want that ludicrous bunch of incompetents governing them.

They've turned Scotland into a nasty backwater, chronically underperforming the rest of the UK, squandering Scotland's far-higher public spending agreement that it gets from the UK Treasury on showboating and middle class bribes - regardless of the consequences.
Would be pointless. People who really want to remain will vote Lib Dem instead, if anything it could even possibly split the remain vote and possibly push a rival party over the line. But if anything it would be the SNP wasting a lot of time and money and it also defeats the purpose of it being a nationalist party.
Reply 7
Sure, despite all their failings they seem to be the only party even moderately worthy of some respect these days, despite their rather questionable views on the union.
Reply 8
Original post by L i b
Having lived under them in Scotland, I don't see why anyone in England would want that ludicrous bunch of incompetents governing them.

They've turned Scotland into a nasty backwater, chronically underperforming the rest of the UK, squandering Scotland's far-higher public spending agreement that it gets from the UK Treasury on showboating and middle class bribes - regardless of the consequences.

In fairness, whatever their failings, compared to the cluster**** going on in Westminster at present they would seem to be the ideal of perfect governance...
Original post by prenticebaines
They do support remaining in the EU which is now backed by the Welsh Labour Government so there is some similarities and shared interests

I wouldn’t vote for a partly purely based on one policy. If that’s what I want, I may as well vote for Plaid Cymru (which I wouldn’t do anyway).
Original post by Napp
Sure, despite all their failings they seem to be the only party even moderately worthy of some respect these days, despite their rather questionable views on the union.

How? Just how?

They want to destroy the UK

They wish to take scotland out of the UK and possibly the EU also with it.

They have about as much respect for democracy as china!

They are moderate?
Reply 11
Original post by Napp
In fairness, whatever their failings, compared to the cluster**** going on in Westminster at present they would seem to be the ideal of perfect governance...

Hardly, given not only their chronic underperformance on the day-to-day stuff, but also the ten times bigger cluster**** they're just itching to unleash on the Scottish people given half the chance.
Reply 12
Yes. Without a doubt.
Reply 13
Original post by L i b

And yet they continue to have high approval ratings and look set to win nearly every Parliamentary seat in Scotland at the next election.
Reply 14
Original post by DSilva
And yet they continue to have high approval ratings and look set to win nearly every Parliamentary seat in Scotland at the next election.

Nicola Sturgeon's approval ratings are actually pretty ****, not to mention they've lost their majority at Holyrood and slid down in every election since.

What the SNP have done is exactly what Boris Johnson is trying to do: align politics around identity, suck up as much of one referendum side as possible, completely alienate the other side of the population and watch the opposition try to complete across several parties for the rest.
Reply 15
Original post by L i b
Nicola Sturgeon's approval ratings are actually pretty ****, not to mention they've lost their majority at Holyrood and slid down in every election since.

What the SNP have done is exactly what Boris Johnson is trying to do: align politics around identity, suck up as much of one referendum side as possible, completely alienate the other side of the population and watch the opposition try to complete across several parties for the rest.

Aren't you going to vote for Johnson's Tories though?
Huge respect for SNP’s progressive policies, but I really don’t think Scotland leaving the UK would make anyone better off, and couldn’t vote for them in good conscience.
Since their core policy is to brutally tear my home and birth lands apart, the answer is No.

There is also little point when the Liberal Democrat’s are not that much further right. The SNP are basically just the 05 Lib Dem’s in nationalist clothing.
Reply 18
Original post by L i b

Has her approval rating turned negative since June....?
https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/scottish-independence-most-scots-would-back-independence-under-pm-boris-johnson-1-4952657

Quick Reply