The Student Room Group

Modern Languages Applicants 2020

Hi everyone,

I thought I would create a thread about modern language applications 2020!

What language(s) do you want to study:
Universities you're applying to:
A level subjects:
GCSE grades:
What have you been reading/watching :smile: :

Scroll to see replies

What language(s) do you want to study: French and Russian (ab initio)
Universities you're applying to: Oxford, St Andrews, Durham, Bristol, Exeter
A level subjects: English Lit, French, Maths, R.S.
GCSE grades: 7A*s 3As
What have you been reading/watching :smile: : I have read some translated novels in both languages, a few short plays in French, and films/tv series in both languages.

Is anyone else thinking about the same course?
Languages I’d like to study: Spanish/french/Russian

Unis Im applying to: Strathclyde, St. Andrews, Glasgow, Edinburgh & Stirling

Higher (a level) subjects: English, Spanish, Modern Studies, dance (also resitting Nat 5 maths)

Nat 5 (gcse) grades: AAABCD

I’ve been watching: General TV/Movies but having spanish/french subtitles

I’ve been reading: a poetry book that’s in Spanish that has English translations (I can’t remember the name of it)
What language(s) do you want to study: Spanish with Marketing / Education / Human Resource Management
Universities you're applying to: Glasgow, Strathclyde X3 and Edinburgh
Scottish Higher : A A C
What have you been reading/watching :smile: : Marcelino, pan y vino, book and film really interesting.

I’m applying independently as I’m now out of education. Therefore, my personal statement has to be epic so they will give me a place. I’m really hoping for a place at Strathclyde. Good luck guys.
What language(s) do you want to study: Russian and Spanish
Universities you're applying to: Cambridge, St Andrews, Durham, Edinburgh and Birmingham
A level subjects: Spanish, History and English Lit
GCSE grades: 99887A66BBC
What have you been reading/watching : Planning to read Anna Karenina (translated!!) and something from Marquez but I haven’t decided yet. Have watched a lot of del Toro and going to buy some Almodóvar along with loads of Netflix series in Spanish
Hey I'm Emily

I've started this thread for anyone who wants to study any modern languages at university to just chat or share tips.

What languages are you applying for: German and Chinese
What universities are you thinking of: Exeter, Newcastle, Bath, Edinburgh, Nottingham
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: A*AB (English Lit, German, Physics)
GCSE grades: four 9's, two 8's, three A*'s and an A
Extra curriculars: Student Newspaper, Debate Club, Hockey

@Puddles the Monkey
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
helloo :smile:

What languages are you applying for: Spanish and Japanese
What universities are you thinking of: Birmingham, Bath, Cardiff
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: AAB (Spanish, ict and photography)
GCSE grades: 8655543
Extra curriculars: Piano, video editing/production
Finally found this thread - sorry I’m very late! It seems there aren’t many of us applying for languages, not just here but in general across the country.

What language(s) do you want to study: Italian, French and either Russian or German

Universities you’re applying to: Warwick, Southampton, Royal Holloway, UCL, Reading

A level subjects: Italian, French and R.S.

GCSE grades: A*A*AC864 (was off school for most of year 11 due to ill health 😔, that’s why I didn’t do as many GCSEs as I otherwise would. I’ve also just taken Spanish GCSE just as an extra, I get my result on Thursday)

What have you been reading/watching: I’ve been watching a French series called “dix pour cent” on Netflix, and I’ve also been reading magazines and doing crosswords in Italian if that counts? It’s strangely addictive.
Original post by Margostrongmann
Hi everyone,

I thought I would create a thread about modern language applications 2020!

What language(s) do you want to study: italian and maybe japanese?
Universities you're applying to: as many as possible lmao
A level subjects: IT cyber security
GCSE grades: 5 A*-C
What have you been reading/watching :smile: :

an italian tv show called gomorra
Languages: German, ab initio Italian
Unis: Durham, Cambridge, Bristol, Exeter, St. Andrews
IB predicted: 44
GCSE: 8 A* + 3 9s
Postqual applicant, already done A levels and currently on gap year in France :smile:

What language(s) do you want to study:
French & Spanish (both post A level)
Universities you're applying to:
Cambridge, Durham, Warwick, Lancaster, haven’t decided 5th
A level subjects:
French (A*) Spanish (A*) Economics (A*) Politics (A)
GCSE grades:
10A* 2A
What have you been reading/watching :

Novels, poem collections, a book in English on the development of language in humans, del toro, au revoir les enfants, la casa de papel
What language(s) do you want to study: French and Spanish
Universities you're applying to: Lancaster, Bath, Edinburgh, Nottingham and Portsmouth
A level subjects: French, Spanish, Art
GCSE grades:8777666665
What have you been reading/watching : Watching: La Casa De Papel (would recommend!!), Elite, Zone Blanche, Criminal France, Criminal Spain, Marianne, The Chalet, Toc Toc( I LOVE this film - would really recommend if anyone has Netflix), Black Spot Reading: The History of Modern France From The Revolution to the War On Terror, Las Manos Pequenas
Original post by jostephens
What language(s) do you want to study: French and Spanish
Universities you're applying to: Lancaster, Bath, Edinburgh, Nottingham and Portsmouth
A level subjects: French, Spanish, Art
GCSE grades:8777666665
What have you been reading/watching : Watching: La Casa De Papel (would recommend!!), Elite, Zone Blanche, Criminal France, Criminal Spain, Marianne, The Chalet, Toc Toc( I LOVE this film - would really recommend if anyone has Netflix), Black Spot Reading: The History of Modern France From The Revolution to the War On Terror, Las Manos Pequenas

If you have any questions, have a look at our University of Bath forum or our Ask a Modern Languages student thread :smile:

Katie, 3rd year Modern Languages students
Hi, I’m about to start doing French and Spanish at Oxford, so I did all the applications this time last year. If anyone has any questions about doing languages and/ or applications for uni then feel free to ask me on here or pm me 🙂 hope you don’t mind the non-applicant intruder
Original post by Espançais
Hi, I’m about to start doing French and Spanish at Oxford, so I did all the applications this time last year. If anyone has any questions about doing languages and/ or applications for uni then feel free to ask me on here or pm me 🙂 hope you don’t mind the non-applicant intruder

Hi! Might sound a bit vague but any tips for things to do between UCAS application submission and interviews? Thank you!
Original post by asdarta
Hi! Might sound a bit vague but any tips for things to do between UCAS application submission and interviews? Thank you!

Make sure you’ve read everything on your personal statement 😂. Also have a look if there’s anything you fancy by the same author or in the same time period so that you have somewhere to go if they ask you about it. And try to have an explanation for all of your ps - they might not mention it, they might do what mine did and read a bit out to you <cringe>
Have a practice of reading and analysing novel extracts and poems (you don’t have to read the lot) in both your language and English, especially if you don’t do English literature A level/ higher / ib or if you haven’t done the unseen paper yet.

If you’re doing the MLAT then have a look at the past papers and practice a few in the time, you can find them online. Get your teacher to mark the translations if you can. Also have a look at Yr 13 grammar you might not have done in class yet, e.g. for Spanish knowing where to use the subjunctive was handy. In the translation sentences there’s usually a “catch” - a grammatical point you have to spot to translate it correctly so watch out.

Good luck!
Reply 17
What language(s) do you want to study: French and Chinese (ab initio)
Universities you're applying to: Exeter, Manchester, Edinburgh, Bath, Nottingham
A level subjects: history, English lit, French
GCSE grades: 98776A*A*AAA
Original post by Espançais
Make sure you’ve read everything on your personal statement 😂. Also have a look if there’s anything you fancy by the same author or in the same time period so that you have somewhere to go if they ask you about it. And try to have an explanation for all of your ps - they might not mention it, they might do what mine did and read a bit out to you <cringe>
Have a practice of reading and analysing novel extracts and poems (you don’t have to read the lot) in both your language and English, especially if you don’t do English literature A level/ higher / ib or if you haven’t done the unseen paper yet.

If you’re doing the MLAT then have a look at the past papers and practice a few in the time, you can find them online. Get your teacher to mark the translations if you can. Also have a look at Yr 13 grammar you might not have done in class yet, e.g. for Spanish knowing where to use the subjunctive was handy. In the translation sentences there’s usually a “catch” - a grammatical point you have to spot to translate it correctly so watch out.

Good luck!

This is so helpful, thanks a lot!
Original post by asdarta
This is so helpful, thanks a lot!

You're welcome 😊 a few people helped me out with this stuff so I want to pass it along

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending