The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Strathclyde University

Is University of Strathclyde in Glasgow credible? Don’t know many people who have been or are even applying to it. Is it respected by other students?
Reply 1
I go there for a Prosthetics and Orthotics, and it's one of the best courses in the world in this area, we have more international than home students, we have people from Canada, Zimbabwe even Brunei as it's world leading and people will come from afar to just to have the strathclyde name on their degree. But that's just my course...

It's top 10 in the UK for many Engineering disciplines via the complete University guide 2020, most of these courses are accredited by the highest institutions and the ones that aren't are pushing through and trying to get accredited as soon as they can.

It was voted best scottish university of the year 2020 by Times Higher Education, and is shortlisted for UK university of the year 2020 (results still t be announced)

It's business school is triple accredited, which can't get any higher.

It's Pharmacy course and Biomedical Science department is one of the best in the UK.

It's a world leader in innovation and research. It's top 20 in the UK for research,

And it has very high student satisfaction as that's what Strathclyde is all about, getting their students the best possible degree, but not in a harsh heavy work no fun way like other top institutions, but instead they have excellent support for their students, the courses are hard but if you are struggling there is always a friendly face you can turn to for support.

So yeah the one thing is Strathclyde isn't very well known, a bit like Cali, both are good if not excellent universities, they just aren't heard of outside of Scotland.

What course were you thinking of doing?
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
I would say it’s know very well within the uk and internationally. Calis a good uni too but I would assume Strathclyde is far better know being in the same level as Glasgow, Newcastle, bath etc. It’s almost impossible for someone applying to university in the uk to not of heard of it because almost all of its courses are ranked in the top 10 - 20 on league tables. It’s a top uni in the uk being an ‘old’ uni in the second cluster group along with 20 - 30 other main uk universities (includes the other unis I mentioned). First cluster is only Oxbridge. It’s courses are quite competitive with the 5th highest entry standards in the uk which shows how popular of a choice it is. Some people are put off applying to it because of the high entry standards but there’s no harm in trying and they’ll be more leniant if your paying uk or international fees. Good luck in your application!
Reply 3
Original post by Max1989
I go there for a Prosthetics and Orthotics, and it's one of the best courses in the world in this area, we have more international than home students, we have people from Canada, Zimbabwe even Brunei as it's world leading and people will come from afar to just to have the strathclyde name on their degree. But that's just my course...

It's top 10 in the UK for many Engineering disciplines via the complete University guide 2020, most of these courses are accredited by the highest institutions and the ones that aren't are pushing through and trying to get accredited as soon as they can.

It was voted best scottish university of the year 2020 by Times Higher Education, and is shortlisted for UK university of the year 2020 (results still t be announced)

It's business school is triple accredited, which can't get any higher.

It's Pharmacy course and Biomedical Science department is one of the best in the UK.

It's a world leader in innovation and research. It's top 20 in the UK for research,

And it has very high student satisfaction as that's what Strathclyde is all about, getting their students the best possible degree, but not in a harsh heavy work no fun way like other top institutions, but instead they have excellent support for their students, the courses are hard but if you are struggling there is always a friendly face you can turn to for support.

So yeah the one thing is Strathclyde isn't very well known, a bit like Cali, both are good if not excellent universities, they just aren't heard of outside of Scotland.

What course were you thinking of doing?

Original post by Anonymous
I would say it’s know very well within the uk and internationally. Calis a good uni too but I would assume Strathclyde is far better know being in the same level as Glasgow, Newcastle, bath etc. It’s almost impossible for someone applying to university in the uk to not of heard of it because almost all of its courses are ranked in the top 10 - 20 on league tables. It’s a top uni in the uk being an ‘old’ uni in the second cluster group along with 20 - 30 other main uk universities (includes the other unis I mentioned). First cluster is only Oxbridge. It’s courses are quite competitive with the 5th highest entry standards in the uk which shows how popular of a choice it is. Some people are put off applying to it because of the high entry standards but there’s no harm in trying and they’ll be more leniant if your paying uk or international fees. Good luck in your application!

Thanks to you both, this has been very helpful. I am hopefully going to apply to Strathclyde, but have heard gcu is easier to get into, though am not sure how true this is. Honestly really worried about it as all of these unis seem to demand A’s for highers and all I have is B’s and C’s. Hope I’ll get in
Is University of Strathclyde in Glasgow credible? Don’t know many people who have been or are even applying to it. Is it respected by other students?

Hey!

We are very proud, and extremely happy, to have been recently given the title of Scottish University of the Year 2020 by The Sunday Times Good University Guide. Hopefully this will help with your decision making :smile:

Have a lovely weekend!

Karen Robley
Official University of Strathclyde Rep.
Reply 5
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hey!

We are very proud, and extremely happy, to have been recently given the title of Scottish University of the Year 2020 by The Sunday Times Good University Guide. Hopefully this will help with your decision making :smile:

Have a lovely weekend!

Karen Robley
Official University of Strathclyde Rep.

Thank you so much. And whilst your here, do you accept advanced joggers at A or Ba as an A at higher in entry requirements, similar to uni of Glasgow?
Thank you so much. And whilst your here, do you accept advanced joggers at A or Ba as an A at higher in entry requirements, similar to uni of Glasgow?

Hey! Can you let me know which course it is you would be interested in at Strathclyde? And I'm guessing when you say "joggers" you mean Geography?

Thanks!
Karen :smile:
Reply 7
Hey! Can you let me know which course it is you would be interested in at Strathclyde? And I'm guessing when you say "joggers" you mean Geography?

Thanks!
Karen :smile:

Man that’s embarrassing, no was typing this veryyyy quickly and forgot to spellcheck, I actually meant advanced highers. Sorry for late reply (and my poor spelling 😅)
I applied to the University of Strathclyde biomedical engineering recently. I love the modules, especially prosthetics and orthotics. It's my dream college. I hope I will get in. Can you tell me more about the program and the university as a whole? How long does it take to hear back from them? I applied yesterday. Fingers crossed I get in.
Original post by not_margherita
I applied to the University of Strathclyde biomedical engineering recently. I love the modules, especially prosthetics and orthotics. It's my dream college. I hope I will get in. Can you tell me more about the program and the university as a whole? How long does it take to hear back from them? I applied yesterday. Fingers crossed I get in.

Hi @not_margherita

Here's a student's perspective on the Biomedical engineering course:

Positives:
You get to take classes from a range of departments such as electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, maths and biology which leads to lots of opportunities after study. The New Wolfson building is opening for September 2020 which is the home of the biomedical engineering department with brand new labs and teaching facilities. The small course size (approx 30 students per year) means everyone interacts and get to know each other well.

Negatives:
There is not a lot of practical work but hopefully this will change with the new building and facilities. Another factor to consider is that some classes from the other departments can be challenging if you don’t have a lot of background knowledge in that area.

Re your question about hearing back from the uni, they will usually get back to you by the UCAS deadline of the 31st March however they can take up to the end of April.

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions then feel free to get in touch.

Melissa- Student Ambassador
Original post by University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Hi @not_margherita

Here's a student's perspective on the Biomedical engineering course:

Positives:
You get to take classes from a range of departments such as electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, maths and biology which leads to lots of opportunities after study. The New Wolfson building is opening for September 2020 which is the home of the biomedical engineering department with brand new labs and teaching facilities. The small course size (approx 30 students per year) means everyone interacts and get to know each other well.

Negatives:
There is not a lot of practical work but hopefully this will change with the new building and facilities. Another factor to consider is that some classes from the other departments can be challenging if you don’t have a lot of background knowledge in that area.

Re your question about hearing back from the uni, they will usually get back to you by the UCAS deadline of the 31st March however they can take up to the end of April.

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions then feel free to get in touch.

Melissa- Student Ambassador

Thank you so much for the response. I actually applied for the biomedical engineering MSc program. It was mentioned that it has conversion modules. Is the class size that small for the Msc as well? Is the course competitive to get in?
Thank you so much for the response. I actually applied for the biomedical engineering MSc program. It was mentioned that it has conversion modules. Is the class size that small for the Msc as well? Is the course competitive to get in?

Hi @not_margherita,

Hope you're having a lovely start to the week. I've had a chat with the Biomedical Engineering department and they have confirmed that the class sizes will be roughly around 40 students, so they are indeed quite small, giving a more personal feel.

In regards to the competitiveness of the course I'm afraid there will always be an element of this in whatever you choose to study but so long as you are reaching your entry levels, and showing a keen interest in the course, then you will be taken into consideration for entry. We always try and place as many students as we can :smile:

I've asked the department to see if they have a deadline when it comes to receiving a response on your application so will drop the answer in here as soon as I can.

If you have any other questions in the meantime then either myself, or Melissa, are happy to help!

Karen
University of Strathclyde - Official Rep.
Hi @not_margherita,

Hope you're having a lovely start to the week. I've had a chat with the Biomedical Engineering department and they have confirmed that the class sizes will be roughly around 40 students, so they are indeed quite small, giving a more personal feel.

In regards to the competitiveness of the course I'm afraid there will always be an element of this in whatever you choose to study but so long as you are reaching your entry levels, and showing a keen interest in the course, then you will be taken into consideration for entry. We always try and place as many students as we can :smile:

I've asked the department to see if they have a deadline when it comes to receiving a response on your application so will drop the answer in here as soon as I can.

If you have any other questions in the meantime then either myself, or Melissa, are happy to help!

Karen

Thank you so much, Karen! I do qualify all the entry requirements. I know courses are generally really competitive as well. It's just that Starthclyde is somewhere I've always wanted to go to. I really appreciate the response. Have a great week ahead!
Thank you so much, Karen! I do qualify all the entry requirements. I know courses are generally really competitive as well. It's just that Starthclyde is somewhere I've always wanted to go to. I really appreciate the response. Have a great week ahead!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! Hopefully you'll receive some positive news shortly.

Here if you need anything else! :smile:

Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending