The Student Room Group

Identity Management - Modelling Platform Scam or Genuine?

Hi guys!! I have had a call from 'Identity Management' this morning and they claimed they want to do a 'test shoot' for me so they can decide whether I am successful or not so I can then get a gateway to work with different modelling agencies. I was asked for £50 deposit which is refundable after the test shoot. I received a couple of emails which doesn't seem to have any signature on it. The company is registered as 'Lost Media Limited' under Reg no. 09848881 and I have done my research to check under companies house it appears to be a dormant company with '£1 investment'. I have read heaps of your comments so thanks for this forum I just wanted to know am I understanding this correctly this is defiantly a 'SCAM'. But still taking my chances to write here to see what you have to say and are there any any chances of it being genuine (hate when someone plays like this with your DREAMS with ugly SCAMS!!!). Please advise.

Scroll to see replies

https://www.bizstats.co.uk/ltd/lost-media-limited-09848881/

some more details... keep reading widely

TANSTAAFL might apply (there aint no such thing as a free lunch)

You can look at the email RAW metadata and see exactly (or probably) which IPv4 address it really came from, can check at some online email header analysis free services too - https://mxtoolbox.com/EmailHeaders.aspx - especially fun is to check that IPv4 (e.g 127.0.0.1 etc) as a URL at virustotal.com and see what similar services are "hosted" at that same IPv4, and how bad they are reputationally
Reply 2
Original post by LuigiMario
https://www.bizstats.co.uk/ltd/lost-media-limited-09848881/

some more details... keep reading widely

TANSTAAFL might apply (there aint no such thing as a free lunch)

You can look at the email RAW metadata and see exactly (or probably) which IPv4 address it really came from, can check at some online email header analysis free services too - https://mxtoolbox.com/EmailHeaders.aspx - especially fun is to check that IPv4 (e.g 127.0.0.1 etc) as a URL at virustotal.com and see what similar services are "hosted" at that same IPv4, and how bad they are reputationally

Thanks for your super quick respone Luigi. I have checked adding those online email header analysis and also have added domain name on the URL locator (they don't have a website). I am baffled if I am checking it correctly sorry. I can just say reading that bizstats link says it all. Thanks very much for your help :smile:
Hi...I've just had a call from identity management today and they've asked me to go for a shoot next Thursday inSoho...the address they're sending me is genuine....is this a scam? Louis sounded very convincing but I need to know as I'm traveling from Newcastle
Reply 4
Can I ask how they got your number please?
Reply 5
My daughter went to London yesterday and was apparently signed up. She had to pay £500 on the day for her portfolio..... :-( :-(

Just for info, I didn't know that she was going......
Hi I’ve had the same contact asking me to do the exact same thing so not sure if it’s a scam or not ?
Hi, I am having the exact same problem. I have received a call too. I think this might be a scam! Does anyone know for sure?
Reply 8
Scam 100%, just forget about it, don't even think they can be genuine!
Reply 9
For all who get scammed and paid with debit card, go to your branch and ask them to initiate a chargebach, explain them the whole situation and they will help you to get your money back, this is what happened to me and fortunately with success!
Reply 10
Hi I received a call today and I agree it sounded so genuine and legit. They have sent me a PayPal link to pay then sent her the receipt through. Does anyone have any facts that this is a scam as in has it happened to you?also when someone calls me my phones identifies the caller the number they called me on came up as scam/fraud. -extortion
Thanks guys :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
It is for sure a scam . Don’t fall for it ! My son did a deposit of £50 without my knowledge, and I did some research on my site . This company Identity Management, does not have a legit Adress or website. The photo shoots take place in a photostudio where they pressure sell you their overpriced portfolios . They do not have any relationships to model agencies or fashion companies. They just want to sell you worthless photo portfolios . We fortunately got the £50 pounds back from Paypal . The real Bummer is , that these scammers are still in the legal , and just try to convince you to pay a deposit and then pay up for better photos . They play with the confidence and trust of young people . If you send them an email calling them out , they threaten you .
And btw, no professional would ever call a future prospect „Hun“ in an written conversation, EVER !
Hi there, I know exactly how you feel. Toxic comments about everything can be frustrating and leave you sceptical about everything. I myself applied online with identity management and received an email a few days after saying that they would get in touch if I was to be successful. About a week later I received a phone call saying that I had been shortlisted. That the next step would be a photo shoot. And if I was successful after the shoot they would help me move forward with my career as a model. So I was still not sure but decided to go ahead. So I paid the deposit and booked my coach tickets to London. The shoot was only a week away. I had to bring with me 7/9 outfits for the shoot. That was the complicated bit. Anyways I managed to sort everything out and travelled to London that week with my best friend. (NEVER GO ALONE!!!) we finally arrived at the studio it wasn’t what we expected at all everything seemed so professional. And all the staff were so friendly and reassuring. The photographer I had assigned to my shoot was a small blond lady very professional and very lovely to work with. It was an exhausting and emotional experience but 100% worth every minute they made me feel like a million dollars for a day. After the shoot I had to fill some paperwork in and decide if I wanted to buy my portfolio. I did in the end I’m not paying a payment plan with them to be paid off by January. I will then receive the photos via email. The photos are quit expensive but worth it. I cannot wait to receive them. I also was successful with joining their platform to start moving forward with finding agencies and future work. This is my personal experience to this day I still feel like it could be a scam but I’m gonna take the risk and not loose the chance. I hope this could be of some help to you in making a decision.
Reply 13
Original post by Ccciuma
For all who get scammed and paid with debit card, go to your branch and ask them to initiate a chargebach, explain them the whole situation and they will help you to get your money back, this is what happened to me and fortunately with success!

Hello,
Could you please let me know how to do this?
Original post by jamielewisxo2
Hi, I am having the exact same problem. I have received a call too. I think this might be a scam! Does anyone know for sure?

Hi Jamie, any news about your test shoot? I signed all ready for purchase of 40 images (900£)but I canceled the Direct Debit. They don't make instalments on Media Style but the contract is on this name! Let me know please.
Original post by Ccciuma
Scam 100%, just forget about it, don't even think they can be genuine!

Did you sign a contract?
apparently they only take money if you are unsuccessful and still wish to continue with modelling, as it is necessary for a portfolio? please let me know if this is true.
Original post by florencekath
apparently they only take money if you are unsuccessful and still wish to continue with modelling, as it is necessary for a portfolio? please let me know if this is true.

Don't do it!
No what I mean is you have the option to say no to giving them money, it’s your choice. Sorry I was in clear
Reply 19
I had Ahmed ring me today ... with this opportunity! Same thing bring along 7 outfits to soho next Saturday with the promise of earning 4,000 a month part time... I was told they are investing in me as the whole shoot will be over 1,200 which was their investment in me!!! After thinking about it 🤭 why on earth would they pay out that amount on someone they’ve not even met!!!I’m sure this isn’t genuine....

Quick Reply

Latest