The Student Room Group

Steering wheel controls?

Hi everyone, I have a 2011 limited edition corsa, no idea how relevant that part is but I thought i’d include it just in case it means there’s a difference. I literally also know nothing about cars so sorry if I sound silly or something, I just want to know how to change songs using my steering wheel without having to go on my phone! 😂 I currently play music obviously using my phone and an aux cable. My steering wheel has buttons for volume, changing songs and a few others that I don’t really know of their purpose. I noticed I am able to change the volume of any audio using the scrolling wheel, however I have an up and a down button that can only change the song when I’m playing a CD rather than music from my phone. Is there a reason for this? How can I get it to work with my phone? Probably making a complete fool of myself but as you can tell I’m clueless!!
Original post by JellyFox
Hi everyone, I have a 2011 limited edition corsa, no idea how relevant that part is but I thought i’d include it just in case it means there’s a difference. I literally also know nothing about cars so sorry if I sound silly or something, I just want to know how to change songs using my steering wheel without having to go on my phone! 😂 I currently play music obviously using my phone and an aux cable. My steering wheel has buttons for volume, changing songs and a few others that I don’t really know of their purpose. I noticed I am able to change the volume of any audio using the scrolling wheel, however I have an up and a down button that can only change the song when I’m playing a CD rather than music from my phone. Is there a reason for this? How can I get it to work with my phone? Probably making a complete fool of myself but as you can tell I’m clueless!!

When you brought the car, did it come with a manual? That would help, if not it's not the end of the world. I'd suggest just playing around or watch YouTube, but if you can't find it then ask on a corsa forum. I'm sorry I'm not much help, I love cars but not really familiar with really specific questions about certain cars!
Reply 2

You can't.
You can't change music over auxiliary.

Aux sounds like an analog connection, so no control. You can change the volume because that's purely how much amplification the car system does. If you can connect over USB or Bluetooth, you should be able to change tracks, etc.
Reply 5
Original post by RogerOxon
Aux sounds like an analog connection, so no control. You can change the volume because that's purely how much amplification the car system does. If you can connect over USB or Bluetooth, you should be able to change tracks, etc.

So would that mean installing a bluetooth radio?
So would that mean installing a bluetooth radio?

If the standard radio doesn't have it, and isn't upgradable, you'd lose the steering wheel controls, but be able to use the headunit's ones. Does it have USB?
Reply 7
If the standard radio doesn't have it, and isn't upgradable, you'd lose the steering wheel controls, but be able to use the headunit's ones. Does it have USB?

Not true. You can retain steering wheel controls and have them work correctly on an aftermarket head unit.
Original post by IWMTom
Not true. You can retain steering wheel controls and have them work correctly on an aftermarket head unit.

I stand corrected. What do they need to look for?
Reply 9

Any decent aftermarket head unit will work - they'll need a wiring harness like this to enable steering wheel controls to work with the head unit:

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/vauxhall-corsa-d-2007-steering-wheel-stalk-control-adaptor.html

Source: I owned a Corsa D and had that same wiring harness with a Pioneer SPH-DA120 a few years ago. Worked a treat.

The vasty majority of aftermarket head units are compatible with steering wheel controls. You just need to pick up a "box" which converts one to the other. Connects2 do a large range. So you need to find the box compatible with your car, and then compatible with your head unit, and it just plugs in between the two. Some programming may be required but the included instructions are usually pretty good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending