The Student Room Group

Sociology or Psychology A-Level for Medicine?

Hey,
I'm currently doing Biology,Chemistry and Psychology A-level and would like to keep the option of medicine open to me. However from looking at the specification and my own personal interests I think I would enjoy and possibly do better in Sociology rather than Psychology but fear that it won't be as recognised by Universities.Do you think I should stick to Psychology as a safer bet or switch to Sociology which I may enjoy more?
Any advice will be appreciated
Reply 1
I’d stick with the psychology, sociology can be viewed as a ‘soft’ subject.
Yeah that's what I feared
Thanks for the advice!

Original post by Lostx
For medicine, you just need Chemistry and Biology - the most important thing for your 3rd subject is that you will do well in it. If you think you would do better in sociology than psychology, then swap (although worth bearing in mind how far into the content they may now be and whether you could catch up).
Original post by Lostx

Psychology and sociology is seen as the same. You’re not comparing Maths and Sociology
Original post by zombie2233
Psychology and sociology is seen as the same. You’re not comparing Maths and Sociology

What about economics, is that a soft subject?
Ohh okay, I'll bear that in mind

Thankss
Original post by BlueEyedGirl_
For medicine, you just need Chemistry and Biology - the most important thing for your 3rd subject is that you will do well in it. If you think you would do better in sociology than psychology, then swap (although worth bearing in mind how far into the content they may now be and whether you could catch up).
Soft subjects are a thing of the past. Universities don’t care anymore. As long as you’re meeting requirements it’s fine. I did sociology before my other subjects (i go to a weird school lmao) and it was so interesting and simple.
Original post by dyingstudent101
Soft subjects are a thing of the past. Universities don’t care anymore. As long as you’re meeting requirements it’s fine. I did sociology before my other subjects (i go to a weird school lmao) and it was so interesting and simple.

Do you think that Sociology might hinder my chances of applying to Oxbridge or a Russel group for Medicine?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by caterpillar2003
Do you think that Sociology might hinder my chances of applying to Oxbridge or a Russel brand for Medicine?

I believe Cambridge is the one university that requires 3 sciences at A level, so sociology would hinder your application (whereas I think psychology may be counted as a science but worth checking). However, ‘prestige’ doesn’t matter for medicine, so it doesn’t matter whether you attend Oxbridge, a Russel Group or a university that’s often regarded as less ‘renowned’. You should just focus on applying to the universities you have the best chance at (dependent on whether you take BMAT/UCAT, how good your GCSEs are etc)
Reply 10
Do you think that Sociology might hinder my chances of applying to Oxbridge or a Russel brand for Medicine?

Hi. I think Oxbrdige applicants often do 4 A-levels for medicine however if you think you’d do well on the UCAT or other test you may be okay. Additionally while psychology is less of a ‘soft’ subject than sociology, maths is often seen as better although not required. If you are expecting good grades however you should be okay for Russell Group universities.
Hey,
I'm currently doing Biology,Chemistry and Psychology A-level and would like to keep the option of medicine open to me. However from looking at the specification and my own personal interests I think I would enjoy and possibly do better in Sociology rather than Psychology but fear that it won't be as recognised by Universities.Do you think I should stick to Psychology as a safer bet or switch to Sociology which I may enjoy more?
Any advice will be appreciated

Soft subjects don't exist anymore. As some above posters have said, Cambridge is the only university that asks for a third subject in STEM. All other universities are perfectly happy if you did Bio + Chem + whatever. Doing Maths or Psychology won't give you an advantage. Ergo, do the subjecty you enjoy the most / will get the best grade in.
Original post by Anonymous__02
What about economics, is that a soft subject?

Hell no. Economics is one of the best a levels. Also, don’t worry about sociology. It’s seen as a strong, academic subject. It’s not like media studies or photography. I know people who did sociology and went to Cambridge. There’s facilitating subjects, such as maths, history, physics. Then there’s normal subjects such as Politics, sociology, philosophy, which are respected, and then there’s weak ones such as general studies, media studies, photography, critical thinking and bullsh*t like that. However, the content of sociology is very easy to understand. What makes it hard for some people is that there is a lot of content to remember, and you have to be good at essays.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by BlueEyedGirl_
I believe Cambridge is the one university that requires 3 sciences at A level, so sociology would hinder your application (whereas I think psychology may be counted as a science but worth checking). However, ‘prestige’ doesn’t matter for medicine, so it doesn’t matter whether you attend Oxbridge, a Russel Group or a university that’s often regarded as less ‘renowned’. You should just focus on applying to the universities you have the best chance at (dependent on whether you take BMAT/UCAT, how good your GCSEs are etc)

preach, you said it all
Reply 14
Original post by harryisalegend
Hiya I’m selling my AS/Alevel sociology and Media studies essay plans and summary notes. I received both an A* in these a levels and I think it’s totally worth to buy especially because they are A* quality written and took very very long to write, please reply with your email address and I can send preview notes, and negotiate prices x

- if anyone wants these revision notes, reply with your email and I’ll send preview notes for free x

Hi i could really use some of ur notes
Hiya I’m selling my AS/Alevel sociology and Media studies essay plans and summary notes. I received both an A* in these a levels and I think it’s totally worth to buy especially because they are A* quality written and took very very long to write, please reply with your email address and I can send preview notes, and negotiate prices x

- if anyone wants these revision notes, reply with your email and I’ll send preview notes for free x

Hey, can you send them to me please for sociology? My email is [email protected] xxx
Original post by sara1890
Hey, can you send them to me please for sociology? My email is [email protected] xxx

Sociology or media?
Sociology or media?

just the sociology essay plans please and the summary notes pls xx
Original post by huibs66
Hi i could really use some of ur notes

Your email adress?

Quick Reply

Latest