The Student Room Group

nth term

find the nth term in a expression sequence a) 12,10,8,6,4 b) 25,20,15,10,5 can you help me with both plz like the other one you help me with
Reply 1
They're both arithmetic sequences.
You must have covered them, what are you having difficulty with?
find the nth term in a expression sequence a) 12,10,8,6,4 b) 25,20,15,10,5 can you help me with both plz like the other one you help me with
Reply 3
Original post by helpmeformaths

See post 2. We're not here to do the questions for you.
Original post by mqb2766
See post 2. We're not here to do the questions for you.

She says she has autism. Idk if it's true, but still don't be rude.
Reply 5
Original post by SeverusESnape
She says she has autism. Idk if it's true, but still don't be rude.

It wasn't rude. The rules about helping not doing are clearly stated in the sticky.
Original post by mqb2766
It wasn't rude. The rules about helping not doing are clearly stated in the sticky.

Yeah I know I told her the same thing in another thread but I mean what else can I say when she has already said she has autism....
Reply 7
Original post by SeverusESnape
Yeah I know I told her the same thing in another thread but I mean what else can I say when she has already said she has autism....

Whether or not they have autism, doing solutions helps no-one.
Getting them to understand the concepts is the key and getting them to test the understanding by applying it to problems.
sorry for everythink:frown::frown:
Original post by mqb2766
Whether or not they have autism, doing solutions helps no-one.
Getting them to understand the concepts is the key and getting them to test the understanding by applying it to problems.

Yeah you're right. I told her to ask her parents to sit down with her and help in her homework
Original post by helpmeformaths
sorry for everythink:frown::frown:

It's totally alright just maybe ask someone to sit with you and help if you can't do it in your head
i asked everyone they dont known how to do it and it true that i have autusm i had seice i was 4
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
The way to do it is. find the difference between the different values like how much is it decreasing or increasing. this will be the number before the 'n'.

then use this number and write down it's sequence and how much does it take to add or decrease.

for example. 3, 5 , 7 , 9

the difference between all numbers is 2.

so it is 2n then write out the 2x tables.

2 , 4 , 6 , 8

from here we can see that 3 (original sequence) - 2 = 1 and the same for 5 - 4 = 1.

therefore it must be 2n + 1.

use that and apply it to your sequences
If you google

Arithmetic sequence

There are many good tutorials, like
https://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/sequences-sums-arithmetic.html
Have a read and see how you might be able to solve the problem.
Post your ideas/problems and we can help.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply