The Student Room Group

Law degree - please help

(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

hun pls it wont hold you back dont be so dramatic
Original post by cheerIeader
hun pls it wont hold you back dont be so dramatic

Didn’t you create 39848584 threads about the same issue?
So much that confuses me about this thread.

To begin to make sense of it, are you now doing an LLB Law with American studies degree at Sussex? If so, that course will not hold you back from getting a training contract, there is no reason to drop out on that account. Also, the year abroad? I don't understand why you applied because a study year abroad appealed but it now doesn't :confused: If you have changed your mind about the American studies part of your degree, why don't you start by talking to the departmental staff about switching to a straight LLB course at Sussex? That would surely be less disruptive than dropping out and reapplying next year.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by dyingstudent101
Didn’t you create 39848584 threads about the same issue?

um no because i didnt get A*AA to begin with LOL if i had i'd personally call my own ass out for being dramatic
um no because i didnt get A*AA to begin with LOL if i had i'd personally call my own ass out for being dramatic

No. I mean you created several threads about one issue but for some reason kept making new threads about it
No. I mean you created several threads about one issue but for some reason kept making new threads about it

yeah no one was giving sufficient advice
yeah no one was giving sufficient advice

hun pls
u r being really misogynistic right now
Original post by harrysbar
hun pls

hun pls you have hurt my feelings on too many posts
oh sorry if i didn't reply to your message on any previous threads. i got into my insurance leicester and turned up but really didn't like it too much and found it too party/club orientated which isn't my vibe at all. i did decide to take a gap year to resit one a-level & i've contacted several russell groups about whether resits are susceptible and most of them are fine with me doing just one subject over to summarise. but thanks for ur support i must have overlooked it i do appreciate it xx

(also this isnt my thread lol)
(edited 4 years ago)
so i left leicester & im thinking of applying to newcastle, sheffield, liverpool, leeds and manchester?

i haven't solidified my options yet but along those lines but you're completely right. i think for me the biggest setback was the single poor grade which i literally couldnt find myself looking past, the university not being very respectable for the course which led me to lack passion and drive to actually give the degree 100%. i think this might be the best option.
oh sorry if i didn't reply to your message on any previous threads. i got into my insurance leicester and turned up but really didn't like it too much and found it too party/club orientated which isn't my vibe at all. i did decide to take a gap year to resit one a-level & i've contacted several russell groups about whether resits are susceptible and most of them are fine with me doing just one subject over to summarise. but thanks for ur support i must have overlooked it i do appreciate it xx

(also this isnt my thread lol)

You got into Leicester w ABD?

Not even surprised
You got into Leicester w ABD?

Not even surprised

yes xx i have a very strong academic record & i've volunteered a **** ton so that may have given weight to the acceptance but overall i just didn't feel worthy of the place and like i could do better at the same time.
yes xx i have a very strong academic record & i've volunteered a **** ton so that may have given weight to the acceptance but overall i just didn't feel worthy of the place and like i could do better at the same time.

I’m not questioning your acceptance, I genuinely wasn’t even surprised. I know friends with much lower grades that got in for law through clearing to Leicester.
just to clarify this isnt even my post but SURE

my predicted grades were A*AA
my achieved grades were ABD (with extenuating circumstances i'm devastated)

& i've volunteered for charities, done duke of edinburgh, written an assignment (similar to EPQ). so i'm retaking to improve the D grade ;(

i'm also working to gain legal experience + work during my gap year and then reapply. x
(edited 4 years ago)
I’m not questioning your acceptance, I genuinely wasn’t even surprised. I know friends with much lower grades that got in for law through clearing to Leicester.

yeah i think the issue is many people think having the degree is enough and maybe for some of them it is but law is such an overscribed degree now it is genuinely so difficult to get jobs in it or most professions really. i've got many family members who did law and only the ones with high academic backgrounds/experience are the ones who land jobs whereas others have struggled a lifetime and it does suck but i feel most people do degrees for the sake of doing them nowadays.
so i left leicester & im thinking of applying to newcastle, sheffield, liverpool, leeds and manchester?

i haven't solidified my options yet but along those lines but you're completely right. i think for me the biggest setback was the single poor grade which i literally couldnt find myself looking past, the university not being very respectable for the course which led me to lack passion and drive to actually give the degree 100%. i think this might be the best option.

If you're not a fan of the party vibe then I probably wouldn't recommend Sheffield for that reason too, Freshers has been pretty wild.

Other than that it's a pretty decent law school and a good choice.
Original post by MidgetFever
If you're not a fan of the party vibe then I probably wouldn't recommend Sheffield for that reason too, Freshers has been pretty wild.

It's not as if the other unis/cities are known for being exactly quiet either :confused:
Original post by MidgetFever

i didn't mind the party vibe entirely, it was more the campus itself i just really didn't connect with it which is weird to explain. i'm fine with partying but definitely with balance, i found that leicester was almost completely revolvent around the events at night which isn't really my scene as much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending