The Student Room Group

why do think climate change is a hoax???

serious question. did those adults didnt pass 5th grade? why are they bullying greta

Scroll to see replies

Turning a blind eye to climate change is advantageous to capitalism.

Climate change, and all the agreements, regulations and measures to tackle it come at a cost, which could have otherwise been kept as profit or reinvested into businesses increasing the amount of stuff for customers to buy. They can’t do that so easily with all these restrictions and requirements relating to climate change.

It is essentially an interference in the free market.
w"do think climate change is a hoax??? "

Followed by....

"did those adults didnt pass 5th grade? "

Irony much
Original post by Just my opinion

Followed by....

Irony much

Yes. Not to mention that nobody in the UK has passed 5th grade because it’s a different system. I really hope the OP is a troll.
Original post by nanachan123
serious question. did those adults didnt pass 5th grade? why are they bullying greta

So passing 5th grade means that you must believe in climate change? Really? Is this how poor your education has been?

Based on the incoherent nature of climate change denier arguments, they are either incredibly stupid as you say, or so utterly self obsessed that they know and don’t care. The majority of ordinary voters who vote for denier candidates and parties seem to be being mislead by politicians and businessmen will fully denying the crisis in order to personally profit. The sad truth is that many prominent deniers, particularly corporations, know damm well that what they’re saying is untrue, but see an opportunity to sell their concoction of lies to ordinary people alienated by the existing social system who buy into it out of anger and frustration
Why would co founder of Greenpeace Patrick Moore question man made carbon global warming/climate change?

https://youtu.be/UFHX526NPbE
(edited 4 years ago)
dont be silly no one here thinks that. thats just an american thing saying it's fake
Original post by Just my opinion

Followed by....

Irony much

jesus there's a thing called typo
Original post by Wired_1800
So passing 5th grade means that you must believe in climate change? Really? Is this how poor your education has been?

I simply believe in science than conspiracy theories. What I meant by 'passing 5th grade' is that the fact should be a mere common sense
Original post by YaliaV
Yes. Not to mention that nobody in the UK has passed 5th grade because it’s a different system. I really hope the OP is a troll.

Why would you even assume I am from uk lol. Regardless whatever the system is, the point stays the same. Even a child knows what's global warming
Reply 11

Which adults and what did they say? You need to be more specific when starting a debate.

Original post by tazarooni89

Climate change, and all the agreements, regulations and measures to tackle it come at a cost, which could have otherwise been kept as profit or reinvested into businesses increasing the amount of stuff for customers to buy. They can’t do that so easily with all these restrictions and requirements relating to climate change.

It is essentially an interference in the free market.

People like to pretend that not enough is happening in regards to the environment, but it's not as big of a deal as others are making it out to be. We don't need to be 'fighting the system' or 'rallying' for change because we are on the 'brink of extinction'- global energy increases are to be expected in an ever-growing society. And given the vast rate at which that has increased since the industrial revolution, it's relatively impressive that things like the ozone layer are reportedly healing.

Technology for 'proper' wind turbines (that is, those that are economically viable to sustain multiple outputs) have only appeared in the last 20 years- and advances in technology have only made it available in a scalable way in the previous 10. The same can be said for the Solar industry, which is also on the rise (with an average growth of 50% per year in the US at least).
Fairly sure electric cars only popped up in the last nine years too, I'm sure I'd find a rise in those if I researched it. There are many other examples of emerging environmentally positive technology which are in their infancy.
[Reminder that my point is that things are being done about Climate Change, proactively. But it will not have a significant impact over night]

Let's not forget that in the Uk, 449 MtCO2e (Million tonnes of CO2; total greenhouse gasses) have decreased 44% since 1990 as another example of how things are improving over time.

Companies gravitate towards where consumer demand grows the most. We've already seen McDonald's and Wetherspoons ditch plastic straws for example.

And I wouldn't go as far as to call it a free market- carbon futures are continually rising in price, due to environmental implications. So there is already a cost involved with meeting ecological legislation.

Spoiler

Plus, companies do and are encouraged to support the environment via:

Recycling- bringing down production costs

Green utilities- things like LED light bulbs that operate much cheaper than alternatives

Tax credits- which a company can claim if they encourage a green in-house working environment via things like energy efficiency, reduced emissions, solar energy etc.

Telecommunication- less office space and all the usual trimmings required.

Brand image- being an environmentally aware company is positive for customers and investors- who are guaranteed higher returns due to the savings as mentioned above.

What I'm trying to show, is that people are not ignoring climate change to make bank; as it is actually quite profitable to embrace green enterprises and practices.
Why would you even assume I am from uk lol. Regardless whatever the system is, the point stays the same. Even a child knows what's global warming

They are implying that you are a troll- as this is a UK student forum, where things like '5th grade' are not part of the education system.
----

TL;DR:
Nobody is 'stupid' enough to pretend climate change isn't (literally) a global challenge. But neither should people be stupid enough to assume 'large organisations' are not doing enough (or anything because <insert typical "they want to save money/make a profit" argument here>).
It is an issue, but it is not worth fearmongering people to push political agendas.
We aren't about to go extinct; so that's likely why there has been a general opinion that the recent pushes (from the likes of Greta) are a 'climate change hoax'.
(edited 4 years ago)
I simply believe in science than conspiracy theories. What I meant by 'passing 5th grade' is that the fact should be a mere common sense

The “fact”, what science do you claim to believe? Have you done your own research? What happens, if the same scientists change their mind? Would you suddenly change your mind as well because you are an “intellectual” or a follower?
Original post by Wired_1800
What happens, if the same scientists change their mind?

In this statement, you demonstrate your own woeful ignorance of how science works. It is not about scientists changing their minds, it is about scientists producing evidence that is contrary to the current paradigm.

So before you ask others if they have done their own research, maybe you should start with doing some research yourself. Start with the basics like what the scientific method is. Your GCSE science teacher should be able to explain this to you.
Original post by _Wellies_
In this statement, you demonstrate your own woeful ignorance of how science works. It is not about scientists changing their minds, it is about scientists producing evidence that is contrary to the current paradigm.

So before you ask others if they have done their own research, maybe you should start with doing some research yourself. Start with the basics like what the scientific method is. Your GCSE science teacher should be able to explain this to you.

Lol, this is really funny. It would have been funnier, if you actually made sensible points.

First, the “science” on climate change is scattered. There are groups that argue that it is due to man-made effects. Groups that think it is due to natural causes based on planetary movements in relation to the earth. Others who think it does not exist.

What scientists, who advocate climate change use as evidence is correlation and not causation because it is nearly impossible to produce causal links to climate change.

To your final paragraph, I have actually done my own research. I spent my research experience working for 2 Professors who were part of the UK delegation team to the UN climate summit. I can almost guarantee that I know more about the climate than you.

You should calm down and educate yourself. Think for yourself and don't follow the crowd. I have read and heard nonsense about climate science that many people actually have no clue about. They read some nonsense on social media and conclude that is the God-honest truth.

PS: There is evidence based on correlation that the climate is indeed changing, but the cause of these changes have been attributed to several different sources. I personally don't think humans are the sole or significant cause of the climate change.
Well it’s for the same reason that alcohol, cigarette and fast food companies are successful despite having extreme levels of unhealthy ingredients in their products.

It damages their customers, but those customers are still willing to pay for it. Humans have a bias for short term pleasure over long term risk.
Original post by tazarooni89

There is a bit of this, but I think there is a feeling amongst many that climate change as a problem is so big that as an individual what can you do? So we might as well do nothing.

I am yet to hear any world leader leading on climate change.
Why do CEO's of charity organisations live in mansions? Food for thought.
Because the customers will keep paying and the demand won't decrease until people work together! It's going to take lots of people to take action to make changes that will be effective. It can be done!

dozens of failed preidictions, the fact that the people arguing for this hate the very obvious good alternative nuclear, the fact that every climate action includes massive government programs and just so happens to give the government more power; and finally most of the heads of these green movements very obviously believe that humanity is a plague.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending