The Student Room Group

What courses should I apply to for creative engineering / product design?

Hey everyone!

I am starting to look into universities. I am currently studying Maths (A-level), Engineering & Design (Cambridge Technical, worth 2 A-levels) and have completed my EPQ (got an A*).
I am really interested in Engineering stuff, in terms of how things are designed and how they all fit together as well as designing products and looking at the creative side of engineering.
What courses do you think would suit me? I have looked into Product Design (not sure where though) as well as Design Innovation and Creative Engineering at Queen Mary.
Also, I am thinking of applying to a general Engineering course at Cambridge. I am really not sure on where else to look at or what courses I should apply to.

Any help would be awesome :smile:
You have to be careful when selecting Product Design if you want the Engineering side. BA Product Design isn't Engineering. The Engineering course of Product Design is named BSc Engineering Product Design. Some universities like Middlesex sometimes mix the modules with the Product Design and Engineering Product Design to make use of the teachings. You wouldn't be given a Physics module in a Product Design course, you'll find that on an Engineering Product Design course.
Original post by rcmotorboy
You have to be careful when selecting Product Design if you want the Engineering side. BA Product Design isn't Engineering. The Engineering course of Product Design is named BSc Engineering Product Design. Some universities like Middlesex sometimes mix the modules with the Product Design and Engineering Product Design to make use of the teachings. You wouldn't be given a Physics module in a Product Design course, you'll find that on an Engineering Product Design course.

Ohh that makes sense. So, I love creative stuff and innovation but with lots of engineering so when looking for courses I would look for BSc instead of BA?
Yeah, it would be better to look for a BSc over a BA in terms of applying Engineering or some form of science applyed into it. You will lose the Engineering aspect if you apply for a BA course. Everyone has a way of applying their creative ideas, you'll still get that but just must smaller then an BA. BA goes all out but lose that engineering aspect.

Product Design replaces the Engineering model with a module like Human Factors, having to take care of how we pick up and interact with an object as we use it while it looks good, whereas Engineering Product Design would have a module like building a machine which is safe in the field for everything as well as everyone, from my knowledge.
Yeah, it would be better to look for a BSc over a BA in terms of applying Engineering or some form of science applyed into it. You will lose the Engineering aspect if you apply for a BA course. Everyone has a way of applying their creative ideas, you'll still get that but just must smaller then an BA. BA goes all out but lose that engineering aspect.

Product Design replaces the Engineering model with a module like Human Factors, having to take care of how we pick up and interact with an object as we use it while it looks good, whereas Engineering Product Design would have a module like building a machine which is safe in the field for everything as well as everyone, from my knowledge.

This is my current choices:
I attached them, hopefully you can see them.
What do you think?
That's up to you but those choices, yeah those courses are close to what you would want. Design Engineering is like Engineering Product Design. Closely the same type of course really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending