The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Skylar.J
Hi,
So if i have A* A D3 ( and another D3 but might drop) as my predictions and i have A* for EPQ. Also hv grade 8 pass.
So ucas tariff 246 (198 if drop 4th subject)
2880 and band 2 for UCAT
8 A*s and 3 As for iGCSEs
Will my ucas tariff be too low or my ucat score not high enough for my tariff?

Is this a BTEC or Cambridge pre-U? As Barts do not accept BTECs, I think
Also can you clarify your UCAS points, please?

EDIT: I make your UCAS tariff slightly more, depending on ?music grade (and do you not have the corresponding theory pass if it is music?). But either way, it does not matter as your UCAT and tariff should be more than enough, even if you drop the second D3
(edited 4 years ago)
Its cambridge pre U
Ucas point is 254
(Without 4th subject will be 202 )

And no i only have grade 5 theory as thats the min requirement for performance exam so no tariff for theory.
Whats the ideal ucat score they are looking for? Im debating whether i should apply to Barts or KCL so im trying to decide by which one i hv more advantage through selection process.
I also need to weigh up to see if i should drop my forth subject.
Thank you
Reply 22
Its cambridge pre U
Ucas point is 254
(Without 4th subject will be 202 )

And no i only have grade 5 theory as thats the min requirement for performance exam so no tariff for theory.
Whats the ideal ucat score they are looking for? Im debating whether i should apply to Barts or KCL so im trying to decide by which one i hv more advantage through selection process.
I also need to weigh up to see if i should drop my forth subject.
Thank you

Yes, that is what I made it too :smile:
Do double check that Barts will accept your pre-U as they do not explicitly state they will in the entry requirements
Here is some more detail about acceptable combinations for Barts
https://www.qmul.ac.uk/smd/undergraduate/courses/admissions-statistics-for-medicine--dentistry/

Your tariff should be OK if you drop your 4th subject, but you would need to do it before it goes on your UCAS form, otherwise you have to contact everywhere and ask if they are OK with changes

Your stats are fine for Kings too. Have a look at interview to offer ratios and if you really can't decide betweent he two, it might help to look at things like this
Thank you very much,
Just wondering for both unis, are selection process requirement harsher for internationals?
I know the offer ratios are way lower as there are less spaces but in terms of cutoffs, will they be way higher?
I looked at barts’ stats and coz im from hk but i study in uk, the tariff scores are pretty high.
Reply 24
Thank you very much,
Just wondering for both unis, are selection process requirement harsher for internationals?
I know the offer ratios are way lower as there are less spaces but in terms of cutoffs, will they be way higher?
I looked at barts’ stats and coz im from hk but i study in uk, the tariff scores are pretty high.

Internationals are compared with other international applicants, so it depends on who else applies. Some places cut offs are higher, some they are lower (the London unis seem to be higher, on average, it feels)
Reply 25
Original post by med-admission
Hey guys, final year Barts Medic here. If anyone has any Qs about Barts, feel free to drop me a PM and I'll be happy to help :smile:

Hi, what equipment do we need to buy (if any) for the med course e.g. lab coats etc
Reply 26
Hey so I took my UCAT this morning, I know I shouldn't have any excuses but I was fine as soon as I started the test I had a sudden wave of feeling lost and panicked - which aren't the attributes of a doctor I know lol, however this is the first time it's ever happened and very much not of me to react to an exam situation at all!

My Results:

SJT BAND 2

UCAT Average : 655

I understand that these are very much average scores, I wanted advice on where to apply next.

My current predictions:

Chemistry - A
Biology - A*
Physics - A*
Advanced maths level 3 - A (highest grade there is)

UCAS = 180

My GCSE results were:

Chemistry 9
Geography 9
ICT 9
Biology 8
Physics 8
Maths 8
Graphics B
French 6
English lang 6
English Lit 5

I got the highest grades overall in my school - we had tons of covers and teachers leaving, it wasn't a great school by any means.

So as you can see that clearly, these grades of my aren't special by any means.

My dream university to apply was Queen Mary of London - Medicine

Now the most they say is that they " 50% on UKCAT and 50% on academic merit."

I'm very much aware that we have to work to our advantages, i'm working on BMAT preparation already!

I am open to changing university choices 100%, I want to ensure that I will have a place in medicine anywhere in the UK.

So I guess my main question is:

QMUL - Do I have a chance still for an interview?

As I feel i dont....

Very sad day for me
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this - I really do appreciate it.

Other than that i'm applying here defo:

Imperial
SGUL

Thinking:

Keele, East Anglia, Anglia Ruskin
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 27
get yourself a good UCAT score ( above 700 )and you should be in.
Reply 28
Original post by harlow1
Hey so I took my UCAT this morning, I know I shouldn't have any excuses but I was fine as soon as I started the test I had a sudden wave of feeling lost and panicked - which aren't the attributes of a doctor I know lol, however this is the first time it's ever happened and very much not of me to react to an exam situation at all!

My Results:

VR 610
DM 640
QR 710
AR 680

SJT BAND 2

Average : 662

I understand that these are very much average scores, I wanted advice on where to apply next.

My current predictions:

Chemistry - A
Biology - A*
Physics - A*
Advanced maths level 3 - A (highest grade there is)

UCAS = 180

My GCSE results were:

Chemistry 9
Geography 9
ICT 9
Biology 8
Physics 8
Maths 8
Graphics B
French 6
English lang 6
English Lit 5

I got the highest grades overall in my school - we had tons of covers and teachers leaving, it wasn't a great school by any means.

So as you can see that clearly, these grades of my aren't special by any means.

My dream university to apply was Queen Mary of London - Medicine

Now the most they say is that they " 50% on UKCAT and 50% on academic merit."

I'm very much aware that we have to work to our advantages, i'm working on BMAT preparation already!

I am open to changing university choices 100%, I want to ensure that I will have a place in medicine anywhere in the UK.

So I guess my main question is:

QMUL - Do I have a chance still?

As I feel i dont....

Very sad day for me
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this - I really do appreciate it.

Have you looked on their website where they tell you what combinations of UCAS tariff and UCAT score were successful last year?
Fromthis, it suggests a tariff of around 180 would need a UCAT of around 700, so probably not likely to be a good choice.
I want to apply to QMUL Bart's medical school. However they state the entry requirements are A*AA but I am only predicted AAA at this moment in time. So I'm unsure if its worth putting it as one of my uni choices, or just apply to AAA unis. My UCAT is 2840 so I think maybe if I did apply despite AAA perhaps I'd have a decent chance. (FYI they give interviews 50% UCAT and 50% UCAS Points) advice is appreciated.
Worth applying with a 630 avg UKCAT? As a graduate applicant btw
Reply 31
Original post by Johnnyman2001
I want to apply to QMUL Bart's medical school. However they state the entry requirements are A*AA but I am only predicted AAA at this moment in time. So I'm unsure if its worth putting it as one of my uni choices, or just apply to AAA unis. My UCAT is 2840 so I think maybe if I did apply despite AAA perhaps I'd have a decent chance. (FYI they give interviews 50% UCAT and 50% UCAS Points) advice is appreciated.

Have you checked the website?
They clearly state "Candidates will be expected to achieve or be predicted a minimum UCAS tariff of 144 points from the scoring Academic component (A levels, IB, Pre-U etc.)"
This is equivalent to AAA
However, they also give examples of successful combinations invited to interview last year and a tariff of 144 would have needed well in excess of 3000 on UCAT.
Barts is not a good fit for your stats
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by krups2001

Discussion about, or links to, other social media platforms is not allowed on TSR
HiI am interested to apply Barts QMUL Medicine as aspirational. UCAT score 2680, A level : 2A*1A predicted with EPQ not yet valued.Have gone through their admission statistics and it appears to be risky to apply here. Could anyone advise on this please..For example ,what would be the ucas tariff of a student with A*AA and a grade 8 in music at distinction be? plus what should their UCAT score be to get an interviewInstead of risking here should i apply to KINGS ? got 10A*1A at gcseThanks
bro dont be silly. you'll get interviews and hopefully offers from anywhere w those stats :biggrin:
First year medic at Barts. Drop me a message or so if you have any helps!
Reply 36
Original post by secret_fire
Can someone please tell me the ucas tariff i would need for 2690 B1?
Thanks a bunch

It is on their website
https://www.qmul.ac.uk/smd/undergraduate/courses/admissions-statistics-for-medicine--dentistry/
UCAT: 2830 and Band 3
GCSEs: 9999988877A*
I also did an EPQ.

What UCAS tariff would I need to secure an interview at QMUL?
And how much of a drawback will having a Band 3 in SJT be to me?
Original post by sy634
UCAT: 2830 and Band 3
GCSEs: 9999988877A*
I also did an EPQ.

What UCAS tariff would I need to secure an interview at QMUL?
And how much of a drawback will having a Band 3 in SJT be to me?

According to last year, a tariff around 188 would have got you an interview. Also, barts use SJT a bit post interview to add to the overall score in order to give placements
Reply 39
Please will the stats below be adequate to get an interview at Queen Mary for Medicine
UCAT. 767.5
3 A level prediction. A* A* A UCAS tariff 160

Latest

Trending

Trending