The Student Room Group

crushed by college - my yr12 gyg

[scrollr][scrollr][scrollr]my year 12 gyg blog![/scrollr]

hi, i'm vi, and this is my first gyg! i just started sixth form about 3 weeks ago, and it's so different already as i chose somewhere that's 1 hour from home.:s-smilie: 4 of my friends came to this college with me, but i barely see them and it feels really quite lonely at the moment!

i didn't like high school that much, but i loved my friends there and miss them a lot already. my gcses went really well despite my laziness and habit of procrastinating until it was too late - i know i can't go through a levels like this tho!:redface:

my gcse results:

9 grade 9s, 2 grade 8s, and an a in fsmq add maths!
edit: got my english lit remarked and it changed to a 9! so that's 10 9s and an 8 in german :smile:

my a-level subjects:

aqa maths
aqa further maths
aqa computer science
edexcel economics

future ambitions:

at the moment i'm looking at degrees in maths, or a joint degree in maths and computer science. i'd love to go to university at imperial college, but i'm looking into other unis at the moment too!

however, i'm not too sure what job i'd like to do in the future! i think my dad wants me to go into the financial sector, but i don't know if i'd enjoy that or not.:erm:

extra stuff:

so i'm not too big on extra-curriculars yet, but i hope to be more involved while i'm at college! i've signed up for young enterprise so far, but not sure what else to join.

i really wanna join the ukmt team challenge, and hopefully do well in the senior challenge this year.:smile:

i think i'd like to do an epq too, but i'll have to see if i can deal with managing all my studies at the same time first! i think i'd want to do it based on tech, maybe around the topic of ai or something like that.:biggrin:

i'd really like to get more into coding this year too, and maybe create a program that i can be proud of.:tongue:

my thoughts on sixth form so far...

i'm finding it quite hard to adapt to the long hours... i used to get home at 2:30 but now i get home at 5, so it's a bit weird! i'm also setting out at 7 in the morning, so i'm not getting very much sleep at all - i feel exhausted all the time!

i like my subjects so far, especially further maths. however, the exams are somehow making me more anxious than i was about my gcses! it's a lot of pressure to do well, especially when i'm in classes with so many smart people.

i do feel kinda lonely though... i've made friends in my classes, but it's not really anything but small talk yet, but it could be worse i guess!:redface: my friends have the opposite frees to me, so i don't see them much, but at least that lets me do all my work in school.:smile:

so i'm feeling kinda miserable overall at sixth form at the moment, but i'm hoping that will change soon when i settle in.

my posts:

Spoiler

tags: (asked to be tagged or taken off :wink:)

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

catch up on my first three weeks

this post is only going to be short, as i summed a lot up in my first post!

overall:

feeling kinda sad at college, but i think it's due to the lack of sleep, long days, and the overwhelming amount of change! i do really like my subjects so far, i just hope i've made the right choice overall.:smile:

i really do miss my friends from high school, so i'm definitely going to start making more effort with everyone and try to meet up with them - rather than wallowing in self-pity all alone every night!

i'm finding the workload manageable so far, but i genuinely feel like they're going easy on us. some of my friends taking bio and chem are absolutely loaded with work, and i'm sure that'll be me soon!:s-smilie:

mathematics:

so far, maths has mostly been catching up on gcse stuff. we have done some non-gcse topics too, but they were already covered in fsmq last year, so it's been all very familiar so far.

i'm in a class with only further maths students, so everyone's very smart, so hopefully the course will run at a nice quick pace.:tongue:

last week we did a gcse induction test just to check that everybody is suitable for the course. i got 49/50 due to a stupid mistake - someone really needs to teach me how to spot my silly mistakes when i'm looking through my papers, i've always had a problem with that!:wink:

i've got a proper exam tomorrow on the first unit, so i'm hoping to do well.:smile:

further mathematics:

further maths is so cool! we learnt unit 0 which was just trig rules, and we've now completed unit 1 which was the intro to complex numbers!:biggrin: I think it's my favourite subject so far, especially because it's all so new and interesting. my teacher is so nice too, and i really like the people in my class.

we had an exam on wednesday, and i think i'll be getting my grade back tomorrow! i think it went well, so fingers crossed.

computer science:

i have two teachers for computer science - one for practical, and one for theory. my theory teacher is the same as my further maths teacher, so that's quite nice.:smile:

at the moment, it's a bit boring though, as we're just learning the same stuff that i learnt at gcse. hoping this changes soon. we're coding in visual basic though, so at least that's new.:redface: i also had an exam for this the other day, but i thought it was quite easy! (deffo jinxing myself there)

economics:

i have two teachers for eco too, one for micro and one for macro. i'm really enjoying macro so far, but micros a bit meh. like my other subjects though, we've not done much in it yet! got an exam tomorrow, but don't know what to expect as i've never done economics/business before.

two people in my class have already been asked to drop this subject, so i was really thankful that wasn't me.:frown:

extras:

i had a few young enterprise meetings this week! my group seems okay, but we can't think of any good ideas yet. i also went to an oxbridge prep meeting, where they told us what to expect when applying for uni and stuff. i feel like i'm not doing enough!

i also signed up for the ukmt senior challenge, which i might actually practice for so that i do well on it :biggrin:

this turned out to be a longer post than i expected! hopefully i'm going to post once a week at least from now on :smile:
Reply 2
Good luck! :rave:
Original post by prettyalevels
[scrollr][scrollr][scrollr]my year 12 gyg blog![/scrollr]

hi, i'm vi, and this is my first gyg! i just started sixth form about 3 weeks ago, and it's so different already as i chose somewhere that's 1 hour from home.:s-smilie: 4 of my friends came to this college with me, but i barely see them and it feels really quite lonely at the moment!

i didn't like high school that much, but i loved my friends there and miss them a lot already. my gcses went really well despite my laziness and habit of procrastinating until it was too late - i know i can't go through a levels like this tho!:redface:

my gcse results:

9 grade 9s, 2 grade 8s, and an a in fsmq add maths!:tongue:

my a-level subjects:

aqa maths
aqa further maths
aqa computer science
edexcel economics

future ambitions:

at the moment i'm looking at degrees in maths, or a joint degree in maths and computer science. i'd love to go to university at imperial college, but i'm looking into other unis at the moment too!

however, i'm not too sure what job i'd like to do in the future! i think my dad wants me to go into the financial sector, but i don't know if i'd enjoy that or not.:erm:

extra stuff:

so i'm not too big on extra-curriculars yet, but i hope to be more involved while i'm at college! i've signed up for young enterprise so far, but not sure what else to join.

i really wanna join the ukmt team challenge, and hopefully do well in the senior challenge this year.:smile:

i think i'd like to do an epq too, but i'll have to see if i can deal with managing all my studies at the same time first! i think i'd want to do it based on tech, maybe around the topic of ai or something like that.:biggrin:

i'd really like to get more into coding this year too, and maybe create a program that i can be proud of.:tongue:

my thoughts on sixth form so far...

i'm finding it quite hard to adapt to the long hours... i used to get home at 2:30 but now i get home at 5, so it's a bit weird! i'm also setting out at 7 in the morning, so i'm not getting very much sleep at all - i feel exhausted all the time!

i like my subjects so far, especially further maths. however, the exams are somehow making me more anxious than i was about my gcses! it's a lot of pressure to do well, especially when i'm in classes with so many smart people.

i do feel kinda lonely though... i've made friends in my classes, but it's not really anything but small talk yet, but it could be worse i guess!:redface: my friends have the opposite frees to me, so i don't see them much, but at least that lets me do all my work in school.:smile:

so i'm feeling kinda miserable overall at sixth form at the moment, but i'm hoping that will change soon when i settle in.

my posts:

Spoiler

tags: (asked to be tagged or taken off :wink:)

Spoiler

Hello!

Could i be tagged into your gyg? I’m also in year 12 so interested in reading through some gyg’s :biggrin:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
tag me pls, Im in year 12 as well, doing maths, fm, chem and bio.
Original post by nyxnko_
Good luck! :rave:

thank you!

Original post by Hazzabear
Hello!

Could i be tagged into your gyg? I’m also in year 12 so interested in reading through some gyg’s :biggrin:

of course! have u got a gyg too?

Original post by jyjay
tag me pls, Im in year 12 as well, doing maths, fm, chem and bio.

will do, those a levels sound so cool, let me know how you get on with them :smile:
will do, those a levels sound so cool, let me know how you get on with them :smile:

I don’t have a gyg i’m afraid, but happy to follow with yours though :biggrin:
I'm doing a level maths , I got a 6 in GCSEs not a single bit of revision , went in blind, could I get at least a C without revising everyday only revising before exams
Original post by Hasan167
I'm doing a level maths , I got a 6 in GCSEs not a single bit of revision , went in blind, could I get at least a C without revising everyday only revising before exams

i think it depends how well you pick it up during the whole course. however, i think a level maths is meant to be a lot harder than gcse maths, so i think you'd have to put more effort in! but everyone's different, so who knows :smile:
i think it depends how well you pick it up during the whole course. however, i think a level maths is meant to be a lot harder than gcse maths, so i think you'd have to put more effort in! but everyone's different, so who knows :smile:

so it is possible as long as I'm consistent in lessons obviously keeping up with homeworks and the odd revision before an exam.
Original post by Hasan167
so it is possible as long as I'm consistent in lessons obviously keeping up with homeworks and the odd revision before an exam.

honestly i have no clue how hard the course is gonna be yet, so im not sure! it might be possible if you're doing really well consistently :smile: what other subjects are u taking btw?
honestly i have no clue how hard the course is gonna be yet, so im not sure! it might be possible if you're doing really well consistently :smile: what other subjects are u taking btw?

I'm doing law and business , business doesn't require much in my opinion it's pretty easy.
I'm sure you'll feel more settled in soon. It took me a while to adjust too so don't worry
Also, tag me please! :tongue:
Hope you get settled in soon enough :hug:

Just take deep breaths and seek any opportunities to get to know the school better and hopefully it’ll help you settle in a bit quicker ❤️
woahhh congrats on your gcses! all the best for this year x
Original post by Fazzy_77
I'm sure you'll feel more settled in soon. It took me a while to adjust too so don't worry
Also, tag me please! :tongue:

aw thank you, i really hope so! it's getting better already :smile: and will do!
Original post by emilynxlan
Hope you get settled in soon enough :hug:

Just take deep breaths and seek any opportunities to get to know the school better and hopefully it’ll help you settle in a bit quicker ❤️

thank you so much :smile: gonna take ur advice and try to take every opportunity i can:tongue:
Original post by mez_merising
woahhh congrats on your gcses! all the best for this year x

thank you so much! all the best to you too x
settling in a bit better

overall:
so this week has been easier! i've been a lot less down and miserable, and i finally feel like this college is gonna be good for me.:smile: i've been making more friends, and finally feel comfortable in my classes!

mathematics:
this week in maths we've basically just been doing transformations of graphs, so it's been really chill.

i got my test score back too ! i got 97% - lost one mark because i forgot to do the final step on one of the questions.:tongue: was really happy with this score though, as over 30% of the year apparently got a U in this test.:s-smilie:

my teacher changed up the seating this week, so now i sit with other people. i loved my old table, but the people i sit with now are really nice too and really chatty.:smile: bit distracted from my work, but it's really nice to have some friends to talk to!

further maths:
we've finished complex numbers so now we're moving onto matrices! i'm still really liking fm :biggrin:

i got 97% on this test too! i lost one mark because i missed something in my working out on an 8 marker - made me realise how strict the mark scheme is for a levels!:eek:

also got a seating plan for this class, so it's not as good as before, but the people i sit with are still nice.:redface:

computer science:
i kinda messed up on this test... i got conversions of giga and gibi, kilo and kibi, etc etc mixed up, so i got all the questions to do with conversions wrong! i still got 85% though which was a B, which I'm okay with, especially since i know i wont make the same mistakes again! hoping itll just motivate me to do better in my next tests!:smile:

economics:
a couple people left my class this week. was a bit of a shame, but there's still nice people in my class:tongue:

i got 100% in my test! was actually so surprised! didn't have much confidence in this subject because i'd never done it before, so it really was the boost i needed!

extra stuff:
made a few new friends this week!:biggrin: went to watch a movie one day after school as one of the bus stops is right outside the cinema! i also met up with my high school friends on friday night, which was so nice as i really missed them.:redface: im gonna try to meet up with them a lot more often.

its my friends birthday today so i'm going to his tonight!:smile: i've literally got no work to do atm so i'm gonna make the most of having a lot of free time!

overall i've been a lot happier this week. maybe things are looking up!

tags: ask to be tagged or removed:tongue:

Spoiler

Wow, your doing amazing already! Keep it up! :thumbsup:
congrats on the mathsss omg maths I’m half crying and half understanding gah
Original post by Fazzy_77
Wow, your doing amazing already! Keep it up! :thumbsup:

thank you so much! i think theyre going quite easy on us atm as we've not even had that much work!:tongue:

Original post by mez_merising
congrats on the mathsss omg maths I’m half crying and half understanding gah

thank u! i think doing fsmq last year is helping me a lot atm, but ik when we hit the new topics its probably gonna be a struggle! and dw im sure everything will click soon:smile: i find maths so frustrating sometimes so it'll probs be the subject i stress over the most this year:s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending