The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

This is really surprising to me, as UEA was a definite option for me but now I'm a bit confused. I'm a third year student predicted a first with a ucat score of 667.5. Would this be enough for UEA in light of these changes?
Reply 21
Original post by Hope2020
Thank you for this information. As this year may require the use of UCAT scores, does anybody know what the UCAT cut offs were for 2018 and 2017 entries? And may be, what the minimum score (or may be average) of those for 2019 entry was (although it was not used for shortlisting for last year)?

2018 and 2017 entries they were using GCSE, A levels and UKCAT 1/3 each, so there was no UKCAT cut off, certainly not one that would be in any way meaningful. And again, the lowst score last year is irrelevant if they interviewed all applicants as it may be well below (or above) what would happen if they had more people apply
Reply 22
Original post by Mel242
It's opaque. Their website says that they do not use a cut-off but clearly, what Norwich Medical School says and what they do is not necessarily the same. UEA was a definite choice for me. With this sudden (and frankly, very late) change, I am now reconsidering my options. Has the school flouted any MSC rules?

When a med school says they do not use a cut off, they generally mean the lowest score needed for interview will not be known until they rank all applicants. Plymouth is the only one who sets their UCAT cut off in advance, everybody else just counts down X number of places from the top and stops when interview places are filled and that is the cut off. This phraseology is common for med schools (if a little misleading!).
MSC is the medical schools council, they are made up of the med schools and suggest guidelines, not rules. The GMC are the ones who have definitive rules and I don't think this would break any, it is just really bad practice if you cannot ensure your website is up to date until somebody points out the error to you!
Reply 23
Original post by SashaSummer
Hi,

I am resit applicant. I have achieved AAB in Biology, Chemistry and Maths respectively. I am predicted an A* in maths and my UKCAT is 678 avg band 2. Should I apply to UEA considering my stats? Would I get an interview? I know UEA accepts resits but in light of their UKCAT ranking process, would my UKCAT score be enough to gain an interview?

Almost certainly.
Reply 24
Original post by swiftab97
This is really surprising to me, as UEA was a definite option for me but now I'm a bit confused. I'm a third year student predicted a first with a ucat score of 667.5. Would this be enough for UEA in light of these changes?

Almost certainly. If they interviewed everybody last year, they will have been interviewing scores around 600
Original post by GANFYD
Almost certainly.

Thank you so much!
Reply 26
When I went to the Open Day on 7 September, the Head of Admissions said that last year, 200 applicants were cut immediately because they did not meet the entry requirements. Of the 1000 left, they interviewed 700.

I phoned them yesterday and the lady I spoke to said it was not possible for them to interview everybody. They are certainly sending out mixed messages! Very poor.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Mel242
When I went to the Open Day on 7 September, the Head of Admissions said that last year, 200 applicants were cut immediately because they did not meet the entry requirements. Of the 1000 left, they interviewed 700.

I phoned them yesterday and the lady I spoke to said it was not possible for them to interview everybody. They are certainly sending out mixed messages! Very poor.

Yes, very mixed message.
The information I was given by their FOI department (who said they have clarified with Admissions) was :

"Does this mean you are not expecting to receive more applicants than you have interview places?
Yes, that is correct. We only rank using UCAT where the number of qualifying applicants exceeds the number of available spaces. We can only estimate how many applications we are going to get, but based on last year we expect not to need to rank applications this year or next. GCSE scores are never used for ranking."

I wonder if this is again confusion over what "years" are being referred to, as at the beginning of September, "last year" would be 2018 entry, whereas I specified I was asking about 2019 entry. Either way, it doesn't suggest clear and transparent entry information!
I will contact them again to try and obtain further clarification
i am confused as to do they look at UCAT and SJT after interview? would SJT 4 be a problem? was this the same policy last year or is it changed only for 2020 entry? thanks
Original post by Yashchou
i am confused as to do they look at UCAT and SJT after interview? would SJT 4 be a problem? was this the same policy last year or is it changed only for 2020 entry? thanks

Sjt is part of interview score. UCAT is 50% post interview. These were the same last year. Don’t know about b4
Reply 30
Original post by Yashchou

They use SJT as a virtual MMI station, There are 6 stations, I think, and they score the SJT for a 7th.
They use UCAT as 50% of post interview scoring, so half of it is UCAT and half is what you score at interview.
It has been the same as this for several years
Original post by GANFYD
Just a quick note that UEA have stated the info on their admissions page is wrong and they are now just using UCAT to rank candidates for interview, as well as after interview.
They also say they interviewed all applicants last year and anticipate doing the same this year.
They are no longer scoring GCSEs

Can you please provide me a link as to where I can find this information. Thank you.
Original post by As.1997
Can you please provide me a link as to where I can find this information. Thank you.

https://www2.uea.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degree/detail/mbbs-medicine#requirements_2
Here they updated the website

It seems to rely heavily on UCAT.

" the number of applications received exceed the number of interview places available those meeting primary screening requirements will also undergo secondary screening where UCAT scores will be assessed and ranked against the applicant cohort, with the strongest applicants invited to interview.

Following the completion of interviews, interviewed applicants are ranked (by interview which includes the UCAT SJT subsection score - and UCAT overall scores) within the applicant cohort. The top ranking applicants will receive offers."

But no mention of whether GCSE are considered or not in terms of being ranked amongst other candidates.
Original post by As.1997
It seems to rely heavily on UCAT.

" the number of applications received exceed the number of interview places available those meeting primary screening requirements will also undergo secondary screening where UCAT scores will be assessed and ranked against the applicant cohort, with the strongest applicants invited to interview.

Following the completion of interviews, interviewed applicants are ranked (by interview which includes the UCAT SJT subsection score - and UCAT overall scores) within the applicant cohort. The top ranking applicants will receive offers."

But no mention of whether GCSE are considered or not in terms of being ranked amongst other candidates.

I think the fact that it doesn’t state they are means that they are not as previously it said they were
Original post by DGeorge13
I think the fact that it doesn’t state they are means that they are not as previously it said they were

Oh I see. That's interesting. Thank you for raising that.
Original post by GANFYD
They use SJT as a virtual MMI station, There are 6 stations, I think, and they score the SJT for a 7th.
They use UCAT as 50% of post interview scoring, so half of it is UCAT and half is what you score at interview.
It has been the same as this for several years

Any idea how exactly they breakdown the UCAT for that 50%, and what points are awarded for the different SJT bands for that 7th MMI station? Trying to work out what sort of UCAT score would offset points lost for SJT2.
Reply 37
Original post by Polkadot2018
Any idea how exactly they breakdown the UCAT for that 50%, and what points are awarded for the different SJT bands for that 7th MMI station? Trying to work out what sort of UCAT score would offset points lost for SJT2.

Either as a raw score or in deciles, I would assume, though previously used quite broad bands to score UCAT, but this would be pointless as most people would score in their 601-750 band that they used to use, rendering it meaningless
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Polkadot2018

If it is similar to Sheffield who publish how it works it would be along the lines of b1 -5 b2-3 b3-1 and any score in top decile would only be beaten by top decile top band / potentially other permutations and this is just basing it on the fact that a couple of unis give around that score per station and could be completely different as it is basically just how I tried to rationalise it nyself
Thinking of applying to UEA but just need to know if I have a good shot at it as my ucat is low😭
GCSEs 9A* 2As
Achieved A levels: A*A*A bio chem maths respectively
UCAT 615 average B3 😭
Other unis
Cardiff
Exeter
Plymouth

Latest

Trending

Trending