The Student Room Group

Functions

F(x)= x^8 +6x^4 -7

How would I find all the real roots of this function?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MM2002
F(x)= x^8 +6x^4 -7

How would I find all the real roots of this function?

Let u=x4u=x^4 and the equation x8+6x47=0x^8+6x^4-7=0 becomes... what in terms of u?
Reply 2
Quartic graph. But how would that effect the other terms?
Original post by MM2002
Quartic graph. But how would that effect the other terms?

x4x^4 gets replaced by uu.

x8x^8 is the same as (x4)2(x^4)^2 so it gets replaced by what..?
Reply 4
What do you mean by u? So, are we left with (x^4)^2 + (6x^2)^2 -7
Original post by MM2002
What do you mean by u? So, are we left with (x^4)^2 + (6x^2)^2 -7

I'm telling you to make a substitution, just like you made a substitution in your last thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6162768

Here the roots satisfy x8+6x47=0x^8+6x^4-7=0 and in order to solve this equation I'm telling you to make a substitution u=x4u=x^4. What does the equation become in terms of uu ?
Reply 6
Original post by RDKGames
I'm telling you to make a substitution, just like you made a substitution in your last thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6162768

Here the roots satisfy x8+6x47=0x^8+6x^4-7=0 and in order to solve this equation I'm telling you to make a substitution u=x4u=x^4. What does the equation become in terms of uu ?

I understood the last thread substitution. But, I am just lost on this one
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by MM2002
I understood the last thread substitution. But, I am just on this one

Also why was x^4 chosen. Would x^2 work aswell?
Original post by MM2002
I understood the last thread substitution. But, I am just on this one

Same process so I'm not sure why you're stuck on this one.

That equation is (x4)2+6(x4)7=0(x^4)^2 + 6(x^4) - 7 = 0... so the substitution u=x4u=x^4 brings it to u2+6u7=0u^2+6u-7=0.
Reply 9
The two values of u are -7 or 1. Whats the next step? On the last thread I would of just inserted this value into the power.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
Same process so I'm not sure why you're stuck on this one.

That equation is (x4)2+6(x4)7=0(x^4)^2 + 6(x^4) - 7 = 0... so the substitution u=x4u=x^4 brings it to u2+6u7=0u^2+6u-7=0.

The two values of u are -7 or 1. Whats the next step? On the last thread I would of just inserted this value into the power.
Original post by MM2002

Just backtrack. Honestly, this process is the same all the time and shouldn't cause you issues...

Since you know that
u=7u=-7 or u=1u=1
then
x4=7x^4 = -7 or x4=1x^4 = 1 must hold. Solve these two for xx and you're done.
Original post by MM2002
Also why was x^4 chosen. Would x^2 work aswell?

x2x^2 is not going to simplify things as much for us. Try substituting in u=x2u=x^2, you get u4+6u27=0u^4 + 6u^2 - 7 =0 which not as nice as a quadratic we obtain via x4x^4.

Generally, any equation of the form

a[f(x)]2n+b[f(x)]n+c=0a[f(x)]^{2n} + b [f(x)]^n + c = 0 where nZn \in \mathbb{Z},

can be brought down to a simple quadratic au2+bu+c=0au^2+bu+c=0 where u=[f(x)]nu=[f(x)]^n. If this simplified quadratic has roots u1,u2u_1, u_2 then our original solutions for xx satisfy:

[f(x)]n=u1[f(x)]^n = u_1 or [f(x)]n=u2[f(x)]^n = u_2

Rearranging these two equations for xx leads us to our solutions.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 13
Is there a name for this method? And Im not getting one of the answers correct according to my textbook.
It says 1 which I got but Im not getting -1 which is another answer
Original post by MM2002
Is there a name for this method? And Im not getting one of the answers correct according to my textbook.

Not really, this is quite a general technique across mathematics, but what you're dealing with here are disguised quadratics and it's important you can identity them.

Well, what answers do you get?
Reply 15
I got 1 and -7 square root to the ^4 which shows up as error as its negative. How did they get the -1.
Original post by MM2002
I got 1 and -7 square root to the ^4 which shows up as error as its negative. How did they get the -1.

-1 is one of the solutions to x4=1x^4 = 1.
Reply 17
I got 1 and -7 square root to the ^4 which shows up as error as its negative. How did they get the -1

Not really, this is quite a general technique across mathematics, but what you're dealing with here are disguised quadratics and it's important you can identity them.

Well, what answers do you get?
Reply 18
Then how is 1 a solution? I know I said I had it earlier is because I thought 1 square root to the power of 4 equaled 1.
Original post by MM2002
Then how is 1 a solution? I know I said I had it earlier is because I thought 1 square root to the power of 4 equaled 1.

x4=1    x2=±1x^4 = 1 \implies x^2 = \pm \sqrt{1} by square rooting both sides. We cannot have x2=1x^2 = -\sqrt{1} because this has no real solutions. So we reduce to

x2=+1=1x^2 = +\sqrt{1} = 1. Again square root both sides and you get x=±1=±1x = \pm \sqrt{1} = \pm 1.

Quick Reply

Latest