The Student Room Group

EPQ Support Group

EPQ Support Group

Taking an EPQ? Or even considering doing so? This is the group for you :yep: Here you can ask people about different aspects of EPQ, talk about how you're getting on and have a general chat. If you want to share surveys though please use Student surveys and research instead :smile:

Want to join in? Why not answer these questions:

What is your EPQ topic?(either general area, or title if you'd prefer)

What's been your favourite part of EPQ so far?

What support time do you get to help you complete your EPQ?

When's your deadline?

Remember not to share your EPQ online since it could be considered plagarism! :fyi:

Scroll to see replies

We've just started having epq lessons eeek!
Any top tips would be much appreciated :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Lemur14
EPQ Support Group

Taking an EPQ? Or even considering doing so? This is the group for you :yep: Here you can ask people about different aspects of EPQ, talk about how you're getting on and have a general chat. If you want to share surveys though please use Student surveys and research instead :smile:

When's your deadline?

Remember not to share your EPQ online since it could be considered plagarism! :fyi:

I am doing my EPQ on how social media supports mental health/ how it causes people to misdiagnose themselves.
I have found it quite stressful actually coming up with ideas, but I really enjoy having an opportunity to spend time on something I am passionate about.
We get 3 sessions in one week, and one in the other; they were free periods taken up.
I actually don't know the deadline lol
Reply 3
Good luck to everyone doing an EPQ! :hugs:
top tip - don't leave it until 3am on the submission deadline day :burnout:
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
top tip - don't leave it until 3am on the submission deadline day :burnout:

naughty naughty :naughty:
To what extent has development of obesity prevention strategy increased the prevalence of anorexia nervosa
My favourite part was picking my question and then planning the dissertation (the least favourite is the constant reflecting as I’m a very reflective person so it takes ages)
1.5 hours a week with a teacher but they’re new and didn’t go to induction so keep giving out different advice to our previous supervisor
Deadline is 20th if January hoping to get the essay done in half term
Reply 7
i got an A* in my EPQ if you have any questions??
Original post by shanaxan
i got an A* in my EPQ if you have any questions??

What question did you do and what are your top tips :smile:
Reply 9
Managed to get an A in EPQ willing to answer any questions.
Reply 10
Original post by Zoqua
Just started doing my EPQ (haven't decided on a specific topic yet but I am trying to find something that is relevant to economics which isn't too related to the Economics A level). How is everyone finding it?

Good luck everyone btw :smile:

Hi you could look at the social and economic impact of an issue of interest to you e.g. of going to university or of taking an economics A level or degree or whatever you might be interested in - my friend looked at the social and economic impact of a belief in witchcraft in 2 african countries - really interesting to research
Reply 11
'Quo vadis, Europa? The next steps and necessary concessions required to begin to complete the political integration of the eurozone'

The write-up, weirdly; just getting it done felt really satisfying.

Absolutely none.

Beginning of half-term, although I've completed it already.
I'm doing an EPQ on how embryonic stem cells are similar to tumour cells, and how induced pluripotent stem cell generation can lead to more malignant tumours. We didn't get any dedicated writing time last year, just some curriculum that focused on writing and referencing and trying to find a topic. And I have no idea what my deadlines are!
I have got an A in mine so feel free to ask me any questions. Some advice:
Do all of your research before you start writing- it will be quicker in the long run
Learn how to reference and do it properly from the beginning, I would use Harvard- there are lots of good guides online
Use google scholar for academic research- lots of it is free and it has a 'cite me button' which speeds up referencing
Having a 1000-1500 literature review at the beginning is the best way to get all of the analysis marks
It doesn't matter if you struggle writing essays- just make sure your project Q/ production log has lots on it and you reflect loads- you can get lots of marks that way.
Original post by star1812
I have got an A in mine so feel free to ask me any questions. Some advice:
Do all of your research before you start writing- it will be quicker in the long run
Learn how to reference and do it properly from the beginning, I would use Harvard- there are lots of good guides online
Use google scholar for academic research- lots of it is free and it has a 'cite me button' which speeds up referencing
Having a 1000-1500 literature review at the beginning is the best way to get all of the analysis marks
It doesn't matter if you struggle writing essays- just make sure your project Q/ production log has lots on it and you reflect loads- you can get lots of marks that way.

With the literature review how do you go about it and how similar is it to the source analysis and synthesis document
Original post by DGeorge13
With the literature review how do you go about it and how similar is it to the source analysis and synthesis document

Yes it is you are just discussing the reliability and validity of sources that your have found and how they are going to help you answer your question. I think they key is not to overthink it. :smile:
Original post by star1812
Yes it is you are just discussing the reliability and validity of sources that your have found and how they are going to help you answer your question. I think they key is not to overthink it. :smile:

Might need a sixth column then - so far mine is about 37 pages though which is a bit worrying
Original post by Lemur14
EPQ Support Group

When's your deadline?

I need this!! Don't really know the topic I want to do, but I want it to incorporate something creative like film, music and psychology - or tie all three of those subjects together. Just need to think of an actual title now lol
Original post by 0natalie0
What question did you do and what are your top tips :smile:

my question was about nuclear fusion and whether it is the perfect energy source. I described the environmental, economic and a few social aspects about it while comparing it to the other main sources of energy that we currently use.

what you really need is a purpose for your epq which is why I tailored mine to be more about making others more aware about sustainability, why that was important and how that links with fusion energy production.

a few tips would be to do it on something you actually find interesting, maybe it could link to ur degree choice which would benefit your personal statement. do ALL ur research at the beginning, print everyth9ng out and keep the links of where u got it from as u will have to cite everything later on. get data from books, articles, youtube videos, they like it when u get information from different places. always get help from ur supervisors and keep asking what needs to be added to ur production log and what needs to be fixed in the essay in order to reach top marks. find some A* production log examples to see how you need to write. AND MAKE A GOOD ESSAY PLAN WITH MANY SUBHEADINGS SO YOU CAN ALSO FIGURE OUT WHERE UR RESEARCH CAN BE USED. i fell so behind, i figured out what i wanted to write about in January so don't worry about being behind u will catch up like i did.

i copied all the production log questions into word and did it there. altogether i had around 4000 words written for my production log and 5500 for my essay. if any of u cant find an example log, i can link one later. i can also show u what my subheadings looked like to give u an idea on how much u can waffle.
Original post by shanaxan
my question was about nuclear fusion and whether it is the perfect energy source. I described the environmental, economic and a few social aspects about it while comparing it to the other main sources of energy that we currently use.

what you really need is a purpose for your epq which is why I tailored mine to be more about making others more aware about sustainability, why that was important and how that links with fusion energy production.

a few tips would be to do it on something you actually find interesting, maybe it could link to ur degree choice which would benefit your personal statement. do ALL ur research at the beginning, print everyth9ng out and keep the links of where u got it from as u will have to cite everything later on. get data from books, articles, youtube videos, they like it when u get information from different places. always get help from ur supervisors and keep asking what needs to be added to ur production log and what needs to be fixed in the essay in order to reach top marks. find some A* production log examples to see how you need to write. AND MAKE A GOOD ESSAY PLAN WITH MANY SUBHEADINGS SO YOU CAN ALSO FIGURE OUT WHERE UR RESEARCH CAN BE USED. i fell so behind, i figured out what i wanted to write about in January so don't worry about being behind u will catch up like i did.

i copied all the production log questions into word and did it there. altogether i had around 4000 words written for my production log and 5500 for my essay. if any of u cant find an example log, i can link one later. i can also show u what my subheadings looked like to give u an idea on how much u can waffle.

Question - did you print out your research before writing the dissertation as I think that would be easier but then am worried about how I would then get it in the right order with page numbers without spending a fortune

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending