The Student Room Group

Don’t know whether I should apply to dentistry

Hi guys,
Basically I’ve changed my mind from medicine to dentistry last minute because I had my work experience late august and didn’t really enjoy it and decided that medicine isn’t for me and dentistry appeals to me more.
However I only have medical work experience in 2 hospitals and no experience related to dentistry. However I can get work experience easily from relatives but I have no time to do it before the deadline.
Should I still risk applying to dentistry or wait till the next cycle?
Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What's your UCAT
Reply 2
Original post by Duckehhh
What's your UCAT

My UCAT is 2510 and band 2
Reply 3
u

Original post by Nj1201
My UCAT is 2510 and ban

you'll be fine
Reply 4
Original post by Nj1201
Hi guys,
Basically I’ve changed my mind from medicine to dentistry last minute because I had my work experience late august and didn’t really enjoy it and decided that medicine isn’t for me and dentistry appeals to me more.
However I only have medical work experience in 2 hospitals and no experience related to dentistry. However I can get work experience easily from relatives but I have no time to do it before the deadline.
Thank you!

I’m in the same situation as you, I only have medicine related work experience(hospital and gp) but I don’t know if it’s too late to change to dentistry!
I’d say that if you are sure you don’t want to do medicine and you’re going to wait until the next cycle to apply to dentistry then you’ve got nothing to lose by applying this time around too so go for it!! You never know 😊 and if you don’t get in first time around then you could spend the year in between working as a receptionist at a dental surgery - that’s what I did and it gave me so much valuable experience and I loved it!
I wouldn't apply before work experience. You did work experience and didnt want medicine what's to say the same wont apply to dentistry.? Have a gap year and decide what you really want to do; there's no rush.
Reply 7
Original post by RedHelenB
I wouldn't apply before work experience. You did work experience and didnt want medicine what's to say the same wont apply to dentistry.? Have a gap year and decide what you really want to do; there's no rush.

If you are serious about it, then apply. You don't necessarily require dental work experience. It's true that universities do prefer work experience in a dental practice, however the skills and reflections you make on what is required of healthcare professionals can still be deemed as valuable even if you aren't applying to medicine.

For example, I've done three weeks of work experience in a dental practice and 3 weeks in a hospital, but I still believe that both are valuable and I learnt valuable things from both of them.

Also most universities also give credit to volunteering in a caring environment like a carehome. In dentistry, the prevalence of dental phobia is a major issue therefore being able to deal with uncomfortable situations and finding ways to put vulnerable and frail patients at ease is crucial. In a care home, it is likely you'll encounter many vulnerable members of the elderly population. You will learn to overcome the difficulties of dealing with more vulnerable members of society, which for example is something that is rly relevant to a career in dentistry.

In a personal statement, the purpose is to tell the university about your understanding of dentistry and back that understanding up with personal experiences that show that you have these qualities that a dentist requires. Some include: communication, empathy, leadership skills and more... As long as u are aware that these qualities are required its fine - but ofc seeing first hand in a dental practice the importance of these qualities and how a dentist implements these skills is much more insightful!

Hope this helps, and if you'd like to ask me anything else then you could always send me a private message.

I'm also applying to dentistry this year, my stats are:
Predicted grades: 3A*A
GCSEs: 9A*A
UCAT: 670 Band 1
Work experience: 7 weeks altogether across hospitals, dental practices, a dental lab and a pharmacy (given me a wholesome insight into different healthcare professions that I've considered going down, but I've learnt that dentistry is definitely the right one for me)

Applying to Manchester, Sheffield. Birmingham, Kings
Reply 8
Original post by Duckehhh
If you are serious about it, then apply. You don't necessarily require dental work experience. It's true that universities do prefer work experience in a dental practice, however the skills and reflections you make on what is required of healthcare professionals can still be deemed as valuable even if you aren't applying to medicine.

For example, I've done three weeks of work experience in a dental practice and 3 weeks in a hospital, but I still believe that both are valuable and I learnt valuable things from both of them.

Also most universities also give credit to volunteering in a caring environment like a carehome. In dentistry, the prevalence of dental phobia is a major issue therefore being able to deal with uncomfortable situations and finding ways to put vulnerable and frail patients at ease is crucial. In a care home, it is likely you'll encounter many vulnerable members of the elderly population. You will learn to overcome the difficulties of dealing with more vulnerable members of society, which for example is something that is rly relevant to a career in dentistry.

In a personal statement, the purpose is to tell the university about your understanding of dentistry and back that understanding up with personal experiences that show that you have these qualities that a dentist requires. Some include: communication, empathy, leadership skills and more... As long as u are aware that these qualities are required its fine - but ofc seeing first hand in a dental practice the importance of these qualities and how a dentist implements these skills is much more insightful!

Hope this helps, and if you'd like to ask me anything else then you could always send me a private message.

I'm also applying to dentistry this year, my stats are:
Predicted grades: 3A*A
GCSEs: 9A*A
UCAT: 670 Band 1
Work experience: 7 weeks altogether across hospitals, dental practices, a dental lab and a pharmacy (given me a wholesome insight into different healthcare professions that I've considered going down, but I've learnt that dentistry is definitely the right one for me)

Applying to Manchester, Sheffield. Birmingham, Kings

Wow! Your stats are really good congratulations!
Thank you for your help I think I will apply with my medical work experience and see if I get any interviews, if I do that’s great and if not I’ll wait till next year to apply again.
My stats are
Predicted: 3A*’s
GCSE’s: 5 A* 4A’s
UCAT: 2510 band 2
Work experience: 2 weeks in 2 different hospitals
Reply 9
Original post by HopeFull97
I’d say that if you are sure you don’t want to do medicine and you’re going to wait until the next cycle to apply to dentistry then you’ve got nothing to lose by applying this time around too so go for it!! You never know 😊 and if you don’t get in first time around then you could spend the year in between working as a receptionist at a dental surgery - that’s what I did and it gave me so much valuable experience and I loved it!

True! Thank you for your help and I think I’ll try applying this year if I get in then that’s great if not I have next year.
Reply 10
Original post by Amneet k
I’m in the same situation as you, I only have medicine related work experience(hospital and gp) but I don’t know if it’s too late to change to dentistry!

Are you still considering applying ? I think I will give it a shot as I have nothing to lose! It's never too Late as long as you know that dentistry is what you want to do, then go for it!
Original post by Nj1201
Are you still considering applying ? I think I will give it a shot as I have nothing to lose! It's never too Late as long as you know that dentistry is what you want to do, then go for it!

Yes I’m still considering, I think I’m going to be doing the same thing!
Original post by Nj1201
True! Thank you for your help and I think I’ll try applying this year if I get in then that’s great if not I have next year.

Best of luck!! :smile:
Reply 13
Yes I’m still considering, I think I’m going to be doing the same thing!

That’s great! What’s your stats if you dont mind me asking?
Original post by Nj1201
That’s great! What’s your stats if you dont mind me asking?

I don’t mind at all
I’m predicted A*A*AA
Got 2500, band 1 in my ucat
5A*s 4As at GCSE
If you get as far as an interview you will need to have relevant work experience to talk about, and saying 'I did Medicine work experience and then changed my mind' will get you a zero. So, it is pretty pointless applying this year.

Take a gap year. Work your socks off to get the best possible grades you can without all the distraction of UCAS, then apply next year. Use this year to get some really good work experience in Dentistry and work out if this really is what you want to do.

Also look at other related subject areas - Biomedical Science, Biochemistry, Anatomy, Neuroscience, Psychology etc etc - these might be worth you applying for this year as they don't requite relevant work experience. You might realise that you prefer one of these, or if you get to August and decide that isnt what you want and you could then decline it.

Bristol - Cellular and Molecular Medicine - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cellmolmed/study/undergraduate/
Sheffield - Biomedical Science with Year Abroad - https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/bms/study/prospective_ug/courses/abroad
Manchester - Neuroscience with a Placement Year - https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2020/00615/bsc-neuroscience-with-industrial-professional-experience/
Sussex - Psychology - https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/psychology-bsc
Liverpool - Anatomy and Human Biology - https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/anatomy-and-human-biology-bsc-hons/overview/
Reply 16
I don’t mind at all
I’m predicted A*A*AA
Got 2500, band 1 in my ucat
5A*s 4As at GCSE

Wow congratulations!
Where are you looking to apply?
Original post by Nj1201
Hi guys,

I would say apply anyway. Dentistry is less competitive compared to medicine. However, this also depends on where you apply. Nevertheless I do think you have a higher chance of getting in... after all not all unis are too keen on work experience.

You could also link your relevant clinical experience to Dentistry, I.e professionalism, communication and resilience are all desirable traits you could can include in your PS
Original post by Nj1201
Wow congratulations!
Where are you looking to apply?

So far I would like to apply to Bristol and Birmingham, cuz my ucat isn’t great, trying to look for other unis too that don’t place too much emphasis on them!
Where r u planning to apply to?
Reply 19
Original post by Neurocandid
I would say apply anyway. Dentistry is less competitive compared to medicine. However, this also depends on where you apply. Nevertheless I do think you have a higher chance of getting in... after all not all unis are too keen on work experience.

You could also link your relevant clinical experience to Dentistry, I.e professionalism, communication and resilience are all desirable traits you could can include in your PS

Thank you!
Do you know any unis that don’t place too much of an emphasis on work experience/ personal statement by any chance?

Quick Reply

Latest