The Student Room Group

The real world

Scroll to see replies

when I am back in the Uk, most of my old friends are strong remainers, but my family are pretty split between both, and my facebook/wider friends are pretty split.

Here in China, I meet people who support both.. obviously they don't care that much because its not their country, but its fairly even in my opinion between Chiense people who think we should leave/remain in my area.
Original post by ColinDent
I'm curious as to how many people on here regularly encounter others with opposing views on Brexit and if this is the case then how do you get on these people.
I myself have a few family members and friends who are remainers, but when discussing the rights and wrongs of each others views we have never fallen out.
From what I can gather the vast majority of people just want to get it out of the way and are accepting of both what others feel and the result of the referendum.
Is mine an isolated experience or is it what is actually the state of play in the nation?

No, you are about a normal average bloke who hold normal company.

My friends are a mixture of leavers and remainers. I've never fell out with any of them, but It has to be said all my friends understand what is happening no matter what they support. When debating with people whom understand situaions and hold logical views debate becomes easier. Rather than smarty pants insecure people whom are making dumb smart alex comments thinking they look intelligent but really look absolutely the opposite.
Original post by QE2
According to a study by a professor of demographics, that point was passed early this year.

The point at which in a re-run of the referendum, assuming the same turnout levels and voting patterns of all demographics, would result in a Remain victory, yes. But I'm talking about beyond that. Even if Leavers have by now become a slight minority, FPTP and unreliable turnout mean they could still win a general election or even another referendum if they got lucky due to turnout. I'm talking about Leave supporters declining to a point where they have basically no hope of even acheiving that.
Reply 23
Original post by StormXibalba
At the last poll we had (which is all we have) less than half of the population wanted to remain.

In the referendum, less than half the population wanted to Leave. So leave is not what "the people" want.
In all recent opinion polls, Remain comes out higher than Leave. When specific Leave options are presented, Remain wins by a huge margin.

The only way to know if that has changed is to have another poll

Good idea!

and we haven't implemented the first yet.

That's because it is impossible to implement it because it was fundamentally flawed. And there is no obligation to implement it, so talking about implementing it is meaningless.
Reply 24
Original post by The Mogg
As a conservative and brexiteer, it really isn't that hard for me to find opposition to all my views in the real world

You'd probable find more approval as a puppy strangler.
Reply 25
Original post by Burton Bridge
It has to be said all my friends understand what is happening no matter what they support.

Perhaps you could ask one of them to explain it to you?
Original post by QE2
Perhaps you could ask one of them to explain it to you?

I'm ok thank you, I understand things quite well like the EUs vat regulations I informed you about :u:
Reply 27
I need to take everyone with white auras with me to the real world. This is the fake world.
Original post by QE2
In the referendum, less than half the population wanted to Leave. So leave is not what "the people" want.
In all recent opinion polls, Remain comes out higher than Leave. When specific Leave options are presented, Remain wins by a huge margin.

Good idea!

That's because it is impossible to implement it because it was fundamentally flawed. And there is no obligation to implement it, so talking about implementing it is meaningless.

Some of the population of the country are not entitled to vote I'm afraid you misunderstand how direct democracy works.

I think its impossible avoid another election, however I'm still waiting for you're answer on how you wish to you're make eu ref 2 question fair?

Implementing is meaningless total nonsense. The part that so many remainers are (in my opinion) deliberately missing/ignoring is since the June 2016 referendum, MPs have repeatedly voted in support of the result, in the name of implementing a decision taken by a majority of the electorate. Many seem to forget that between the original Brexit vote and today, we had a general election and a European election which was both won by brexit parties.

Conservative and Labour parties both committed themselves in their manifestos to implementing the referendum result. Only the Liberal Democrats could say that they opposed Brexit in an election that saw them pick up only a handful more seats than the catastrophic 2015 election. The same happened over the so-called “great repeal bill”, the legislation required to repeal the 1972 European Communities Act, when MPs rejected an amendment calling for a referendum on whether to support the deal or remain in the EU.

And to say its impossible to implement is baffling, why do you think this?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 29
I'm ok thank you, I understand things quite well like the EUs vat regulations I informed you about :u:

Once I explained it to you, yes. Before that you insisted that the UK government could not set VAT below 15%. You were obviously wrong as the UK also has rates of 5% and 0%.

What's more (a point that you seem to have avoided addressing) is that you claimed to have voted Leave so that the UK could reduce VAT below 15%. The current rate is 20% so it is nonsense to claim that it is the EU who is forcing high VAT rates on the UK. It is your beloved Tory government that is keeping VAT rates high. Leaving the EU will not result in VAT being cut to below 15%.
Reply 30
Some of the population of the country are not entitled to vote I'm afraid you misunderstand how direct democracy works.

You will notice that in my original post I specifically used the term "adult population". In the reply above I was merely repeating the term used by the person I was responding to. Do try and keep up.
Moreover, please show that my statement was wrong. I think you'll find that less than half the population did indeed vote Leave.

I think its impossible avoid another election, however I'm still waiting for you're answer on how you wish to you're make eu ref 2 question fair?

This is just getting silly now. I have explained it in detail If you don't understand it, ask one of your friends - you know, the ones who do understand stuff.

Implementing is meaningless total nonsense. The part that so many remainers are (in my opinion) deliberately missing/ignoring is since the June 2016 referendum, MPs have repeatedly voted in support of the result, in the name of implementing a decision taken by a majority of the electorate. Many seem to forget that between the original Brexit vote and today, we had a general election and a European election which was both won by brexit parties.

Neither election was "won" by anyone. However, Remain supporting candidates gained more votes than Leave supporting candidates in the EU elections. The GE cannot be counted as a poll on Brexit because people vote on a variety of issues. For example, I voted Labour because of their social policies, not because of their (at the time) somewhat ambiguous but essentially Leave position. I assumed Brexit would be happening as planned and believed that Labour would be better for the country that the Tories, post Brexit. A naive and uniformed analyst as yourself would point to my vote in the GE and say I was a Leave supporter.

And to say its impossible to implement is baffling, why do you think this?

Because the only option on the Referendum was "Leave", but there is no such thing as "Leave", only Deal or No Deal. Have you not ben watching the events of the last few months?
Reply 31
Original post by QE2

Good idea!

Have you ever considered a career as a spin doctor?
Original post by QE2

the leavers won the Referendumb fair and square ( with a bit of help from Vlad :wink: ) so we are leaving. end of story.
Reply 33
Original post by QE2
You will notice that in my original post I specifically used the term "adult population". In the reply above I was merely repeating the term used by the person I was responding to. Do try and keep up.
Moreover, please show that my statement was wrong. I think you'll find that less than half the population did indeed vote Leave.

This is just getting silly now. I have explained it in detail If you don't understand it, ask one of your friends - you know, the ones who do understand stuff.

Neither election was "won" by anyone. However, Remain supporting candidates gained more votes than Leave supporting candidates in the EU elections. The GE cannot be counted as a poll on Brexit because people vote on a variety of issues. For example, I voted Labour because of their social policies, not because of their (at the time) somewhat ambiguous but essentially Leave position. I assumed Brexit would be happening as planned and believed that Labour would be better for the country that the Tories, post Brexit. A naive and uniformed analyst as yourself would point to my vote in the GE and say I was a Leave supporter.

Because the only option on the Referendum was "Leave", but there is no such thing as "Leave", only Deal or No Deal. Have you not ben watching the events of the last few months?

I assume you mean post#24 in which case you didn't state that it was the adult population, and even if you had it doesn't matter because the only opinions that count on the day are those that were expressed.
Original post by StormXibalba
London truly is a remain bubble. I'm one of the few Brexiteers I know and I lie about it because I know some of my friends would stop talking to me if I told them.

I was shocked the other day when one of my friends said he thought the referendum was a lie because he has NEVER met a brexiteer in his entire life. That's how much of a bubble it is here.

That shows just how out of touch the London 'elite' is quite frankly
Original post by QE2
Once I explained it to you, yes. Before that you insisted that the UK government could not set VAT below 15%. You were obviously wrong as the UK also has rates of 5% and 0%.

What's more (a point that you seem to have avoided addressing) is that you claimed to have voted Leave so that the UK could reduce VAT below 15%. The current rate is 20% so it is nonsense to claim that it is the EU who is forcing high VAT rates on the UK. It is your beloved Tory government that is keeping VAT rates high. Leaving the EU will not result in VAT being cut to below 15%.

Oh dear on dear you still dont understand do you?

It so lovely how you quote back I said :rofl:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6108948&page=6

I'm sure a man of your intellectual brilliance will be able to follow this.

Currently the EU control the minimum level of VAT. The base rate is 15% and member states cannot go below this, its outlawed from our masters the EU. Although member states can apply reduced rates of VAT to certain goods and services. Now the example I gave you last time was unitites at 5% and fresh food at zero. I'm sure it's a sheer coincidence you parrot 5% and 0% back to me :nah:

Now I'm.not sure why you are lying again, i never stated I voted Leave so that the UK could reduce VAT below 15%, I explained to you there are several reasons for wishing to leave the EU that had zero to do with immigration and gave several, in the area of control used the example of VAT, which you claimed was nonsense, is wasn't.

It's very easy to avoid addressing a point that i have never made, I'm good at doing that :rolleyes:
Original post by QE2

In paragraph order

Yes many of the adult population are no entitled to vote.

Oh course you have :yy:

Not at all I also voted labour for similar reason to yourself. You voted labour in the knowledge doing so would mean upholding the referendum, just like myself.

So in you're world the conservatives did not win the 2015 election?
The Brexit party did not win the European election, despite becoming the largest party in European parliament?
How did remain supporting parties win the majority of votes in the EU elections, please explain what style of total BS you are going to use for that?

Yes I have, i think leave fits well into artical 50 and deal or no deal :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by ColinDent
Have you ever considered a career as a spin doctor?

Do you claim that any of the above is factually incorrect?
If so, present your evidence!
Reply 38
Original post by the bear
the leavers won the Referendumb fair and square ( with a bit of help from Vlad :wink: )

It wasn't "fair", as ruled by the court of appeal. Although given the demographic of Leave voters, "square" is probably pretty accurate, daddy-o.

so we are leaving. end of story.

That Remains to be seen.
Reply 39
Oh dear on dear you still dont understand do you?

It so lovely how you quote back I said :rofl:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6108948&page=6

*sigh*

Question 1: Do you believe that our current high VAT rate is a result of A) EU directive or B) UK law?
Simple A or B answer please.

Question 2: Do you believe that the different rates and the goods covered by the different rates is determined by A) EU directive or B) UK law?
Simple A or B answer please.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending